vsc light, check engine light,trac light stay on - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
vsc light, check engine light,trac light stay on

alright guys this is the deal. I have a 07 fjc with 27000miles.a/t and 4x4. the warning lights (vsc,check engine and trac) have been on for awhile (at least 3months). the thing is that they come and go. this problem started when a cable was grounded and basically stalled my fjc. now that the engine is running, i even changed the fuel pump thinking it was that, i still cant get those lights off. i tried tightening the fuel cap,sometimes it works and other times it doesnt.also i have HID on my jeep but they dont last long,maybe 4 months and they are new and expensive. you guys think that maybe there is a correlation between the warning lights and the HIDS? How do i know when i need to replace an oxygen sensor? help me out guys please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Re: vsc light, check engine light,trac light stay on

Sounds like you need to take a trip to the dealer.

MY BUILD THREAD
THE SPACE CRUISER

Thanks to the following people and companies that have contributed to my build:

Arien and Jason @ Demello Offroad
Doc @ Springtail Solutions
Krista and Peter @ Moto Alliance
TLCA# 20167

http://www.ricochetoffroad.com/

Quote:
Get_Lost previously said: View Post

I'll believe that corporations are people when Texas executes one of them.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ridefoxone

Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post
Sounds like you need to take a trip to the dealer.
I have had the same lights come on for different reasons. They came on for my intake tube maf gasket was leaking air in, and also for the exhaust gasket leaking. I'm starting to think they come on for everything....
#4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
gescobar30 previously said: View Post
alright guys this is the deal. I have a 07 fjc with 27000miles.a/t and 4x4. the warning lights (vsc,check engine and trac) have been on for awhile (at least 3months). the thing is that they come and go. this problem started when a cable was grounded and basically stalled my fjc. now that the engine is running, i even changed the fuel pump thinking it was that, i still cant get those lights off. i tried tightening the fuel cap,sometimes it works and other times it doesnt.also i have HID on my jeep but they dont last long,maybe 4 months and they are new and expensive. you guys think that maybe there is a correlation between the warning lights and the HIDS? How do i know when i need to replace an oxygen sensor? help me out guys please!
You need to find out what codes are coming up. Could be any number of things. Get someone to check the codes.

Sponge Bob 2007 Sun Fusion , All Pro front winch bumper w/light hoop, 16 TRD Wheels, 285/75r16 BFG A/T ko's, OME 3" lift 885 front 895 rear, ARB Roof Rack with 2 IPF 868 Light Kits up front, KC Back Up flood lights in rear,Bud Built skid plates, Trail Gear rock rails, Hella horns, PIAA Headlights, PIAA Dome lights, PIAA Back up light, MPAC side HD rack, MPAC Straddle, MPAC rear door HD rack, Gobi ladder, Cobra 75 WXST CB, more mods to come. TLCA #3970

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER world's toughest all purpose 4-wheel-drive vehicle! You can follow me but it's gonna HURT!!

www.spongebobsadventures.shutterfly.com

#5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Forum Master

Fjamming had a similar issue after a self-induced electrical problem.

Read through this thread and see if any of this helps:

Fuse? Relay? Help needed.

I believe the solution ended up being the "IGN1" fuse - see the second page.

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off..."
#6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

All my indicator lights as noted in the earlier in this post came on last week. I went to the dealership....Mechanic pinpointed the problem----bad cat converters, thats what the diagnostic code showed!!! Covered under the warranty...But since I did the JBA shorty header modification then I guess my warranty for the exhausts sysytem is voided!!!! Booooo....So I was wondering how does the computer know that the catalytic converters are bad? Is the information being relayed from the back O2 sensors (between the front cats and the back cats? If anyone knows this information please respond!!!! And if my cat converters are bad, Im thinking of changing out my headers and the stock cats, but does anyone know if there are headers that have the cats welded on (combo)....?????
headers are about a year and a half old, 20,000 miles....Seems weird that it would go bad so soon.......

Titanium Silver 4x4, Icon suspension stage 1 (demello installed),A-trac, rocksliders, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, 18" Ultra Goliaths: blacked out w/305x60x18 BFG KM2, 6 speed manual(short shifter), Bigbills CB Combo, Doug-Thorley 515L headers and Y-Pipe, Pioneer AVIC-F900BT, Pioneer Speakers.....
#7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ridefoxone

Quote:
Akillez-13 previously said: View Post
All my indicator lights as noted in the earlier in this post came on last week. I went to the dealership....Mechanic pinpointed the problem----bad cat converters, thats what the diagnostic code showed!!! Covered under the warranty...But since I did the JBA shorty header modification then I guess my warranty for the exhausts sysytem is voided!!!! Booooo....So I was wondering how does the computer know that the catalytic converters are bad? Is the information being relayed from the back O2 sensors (between the front cats and the back cats? If anyone knows this information please respond!!!! And if my cat converters are bad, Im thinking of changing out my headers and the stock cats, but does anyone know if there are headers that have the cats welded on (combo)....?????
headers are about a year and a half old, 20,000 miles....Seems weird that it would go bad so soon.......
I would talk to Gadget from URD.....
#8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Unhappy Re: vsc light, check engine light,trac light stay on

I took mine to the dealer today. Its a 2007 and I had 4 lights on the dash--Check Eng, VSC Off and VSC Traction and one other. They called and said if I had changed the Gas Cap--I had--i'd put on a locking one (after market). They said it's not getting a "good seal" and that's what putting it on...I asked "What about the VSC lights" and he said they are "all connected" or "all related"--it was a little vague. They wanted to charge me the "diagnostic" fee since I had on an aftermarket gas cap. Plus $20 for a new cap. Turned them down cuz I still have my original cap at home....so I went to pick it up. THey didn't charge me but they didn't reset the lights....I put the original cap back on and went to fill it up. So I'll wait a couple of days and take it back--see what happens then.....
#9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Akillez-13 previously said: View Post
The rear most O2 sensors determines if the cats are working. If the one or both of the rearmost O2 sensors is malfunctioning for some reason (bad sensor or bad wire) it will set an erroneous code re: bad cat(s).

Did they tell you what the code was? Was it both cats or just one?

You can get a rough idea of whether a cat is functioning if you take an infra red temp sensor and point it at the front of the cat and then at the rear of the cat. If the temp at the rear of the cat is higher by over 100+ degrees then you might conclude that it is working. But this is just a ballpark, shade-tree mechanics way of checking it.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
#10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
BlackFJ2007 previously said: View Post
I took mine to the dealer today. Its a 2007 and I had 4 lights on the dash--Check Eng, VSC Off and VSC Traction and one other. They called and said if I had changed the Gas Cap--I had--i'd put on a locking one (after market). They said it's not getting a "good seal" and that's what putting it on...I asked "What about the VSC lights" and he said they are "all connected" or "all related"--it was a little vague. They wanted to charge me the "diagnostic" fee since I had on an aftermarket gas cap. Plus $20 for a new cap. Turned them down cuz I still have my original cap at home....so I went to pick it up. THey didn't charge me but they didn't reset the lights....I put the original cap back on and went to fill it up. So I'll wait a couple of days and take it back--see what happens then.....
If it was indeed the cap, in a few days the lights will reset themselves if all is well (when the system runs the next evap test).

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.