Window Seals Junk? Binding & Ripped... :-( - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Window Seals Junk? Binding & Ripped... :-(

there is a product called SIL-GLYDE. safe for rubber weather stripping. got this tip when i had the jeep. keeps all the seals pristine. will be doing this to the fj when the weather breaks... get it at any napa auto parts store.

Sil-Glyde Lubricating Compound - Royal Enfield Online Store

sold 9/11/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
bph

The same thing happened to my driver's door window seal. My wife rolled down the window and the seal came with it. It's getting replaced tomorrow under warranty and I hope that's that. The FJ has been great so far but my warranty runs out in 9000 miles so I hope that legendary Toyota reliability doesn't let me down.
#13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
TATTOOMAN previously said: View Post
Topic says it all....

I've only got 23,000 and change on my FJ and my driver side window seal is KAPUT. lol Yupper, junkola. Been having issues for a while with the windows binding in the seals. I have used EVERYTHING to clean, lube, etc. the window, the seal, you name it, I've done it. I've used bearing grease, Thetford RV slideout cleaner & lubricant, vaseline, silicone, WD40, everything else you can think of, I've probably tried it. I have completely removed the seals, cleaned them, popped the door panels and cleaned the tracks and window edges. I get about 2 weeks and then they are binding again. Well, yesterday the temps were nice and I went to put down the drivers window, saw the seal start to pull, put my hand up to hold it from pulling down and RIP, it broke at the seam just beyond the back edge on the rear post...now I can't put the window down at all cause the seal is FUBAR. Just peachy....

So now here is the fun...do I:
1. Take it over to the dealer on Saturday morning and say, "hey my window seals are defective, please fix it". And have them say back, "well it looks like you do a fair amount of off roading and probably dirt and debris cause your seals to get full and the windows bind"...or "your window tint causes the window to bind in the seal"

2. Just buy new seals and not worry about dealing with the dealer and the headaches associated with them attempting to get around a warranty issue.

3. Cut my doors in half and forget about the windows totally....LMAO

Any ideas??
Where do you order replacement stripping/seals from?? My FJ is a 2007 with 60k and is out of warranty. Just want to make sure I get the right stuff for replacemen. Pretty handyman challenged as far as repairing thins
#14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

The dealership replaced them under warranty. I would say, unfortunately, that the dealer is probably the best bet since these seem problematic at best. Even my replaced seals are iffy at times and I have not used ANYTHING on them since they were replaced, just in-case anything I originally used made them worse by swelling them, etc. I clean the tracks & seals occasionally, but they still "pull" sometimes...
#15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 AM

I was afraid you'd say that! Thanx for the info. Time to save up sum $$$ for the dealer
#16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM

I've the passenger side go twice and the driver's side once. Both are broken right now. No warranty left. I just crank up the music!
#17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have same issue, window seals are shot... past warranty. 80k on an 08... Wonder what is the most cost effective way to replace seals. Any input?

Edit, replaced all 4 for 75bucks at the dealership. Fyi

Last edited by Dominic1; 05-22-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.