Brakes seized? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brakes seized?

So we had some nasty weather here this past weekend. With single digit temps,50+ mph winds and snow. So the day after the storm the wife and I jump in the FJ to go to the store. Starts up fine but I put it in reverse and it seems reluctant to go. But I just figured it was still warming up. But driving to the store it still feels a little slugish. It wasn't till we finished our shopping and I try to back out of the parking spot that I figure somethings seriously wrong. I put it in reverse but it doesn't idle out. I thought I had just left the E-brake on at first but nope. So i give it a little gas and *CLUNK* it starts moving. Like it was frozen and had to break free. I treid stopping and putting it in reverse, drive, park and I couldn't replicate it... Now my wife took the FJ this morning while I was sleeping and said it did it to her when she left and on her way back. I"m afraid my brakes are seized. Is this common with the FJ? I planned to change the pads and rotors when it got a little warmer. But I didn't expect to be replacing a caliper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CowboyCEO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Brakes seized?

I had an issue with my e-brakes pads freezing to the inside of the rear rotor. That was in -35 degree temperatures parked overnight with the e-brake engaged. That caused a "Can of Worms" and I don't leave the e-brake on overnight in temps like that.

The "CLUNK" you heard (I heard it) might have been your e-brake pad loosing part of it's pad surface. Was there a gnarly "grinding" gravelly noise when it was rolling? I also developed a bit of play in the e-brake lever.

If I am on track with your symptoms let me know and I can give you some advice.

2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>
#3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

x2 on the ebrake. Was it on?

If so, just not using it may stop it from happening again.

-Adam '07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

Bilstein 5100s | Daystar rear spacers | ProComp ES9000 | LT285/75r16 Terra Grapplers - Offroad wheels | Westin 55W 6" lights
OE Rock Rails | Ricochet Armor | Rocktek Link Armor | UltraGauge | Husky Liners | Midlands 75-822 - 3' Firestik - Boztec mount
Ellis Precision Shift knobs - handles | Discovery Overhead Console. w/ GPS | Lots of Fluid Film underneath | Scuba Mod

In VA or surrounding areas? Join the 757TOYOTA4x4 Facebook Group
#4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, coming from a manual i've developed the habbit of always using the ebrake. I didn't even think about the ebrake being an issue but it makes since.

@CowboyCEO, what other problems did it lead to?

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Stinkypinky,
The one and only way you can find out for sure is to pull off your rear rotor and inspect the e-brake pads. That requires pulling your wheel and caliper then (there should be a thread somewhere) going thru that little hole in the rotor to back off the e-brake spring tension. When you reassemble it you need to retention the pads after you put it back together.
My further issues was that Blue (side to side) spring kept comming loose and rubbing the axle and causing a gnarly squeak. It took me over a year to -zero- were that noise was coming from. E-Brake pads aren't cheap.

This is a new pad. The older one had 60% of the pad chunked off.

If you do the work yourself and are at the point of re-installing the Blue spring. Line up that big hole with it and you can position it with needle nose pliers.
The adjusment hole for adjusting the tension after you have the rotor back on is a tiny one and you need to have it at the 6:30 position to access the adjuster.

2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>
#6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Forum Master

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage

This happens to me when it's cold (freezing) and I run the FJ thru the car wash, then park for the evening. I need to remind myself either drive the FJ a good distance after the wash (to get rid of the water) or park without the ebrake on.

#7751, Titanium Silver, Manik nerf bar w/Rock Rails, ScanGuage ll, Manik Tail Light Guards, Warrior Bumper, ENGO 10K winch, Toytec Coils w/Blisteins, Spidertrax Spacers.

"The Gru FJ"
#7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CowboyCEO previously said: View Post
Stinkypinky,
The one and only way you can find out for sure is to pull off your rear rotor and inspect the e-brake pads. That requires pulling your wheel and caliper then (there should be a thread somewhere) going thru that little hole in the rotor to back off the e-brake spring tension. When you reassemble it you need to retention the pads after you put it back together.
My further issues was that Blue (side to side) spring kept comming loose and rubbing the axle and causing a gnarly squeak. It took me over a year to -zero- were that noise was coming from. E-Brake pads aren't cheap.

This is a new pad. The older one had 60% of the pad chunked off.

If you do the work yourself and are at the point of re-installing the Blue spring. Line up that big hole with it and you can position it with needle nose pliers.
The adjusment hole for adjusting the tension after you have the rotor back on is a tiny one and you need to have it at the 6:30 position to access the adjuster.
I'm thinking it was the ebrake. It clunked last night but but there was no noise after parking it in the garage over night. Also noticeably smoother going down the road. Didn't feel slugish or odd sounds/vibrations. It's so hard to park without using the ebrake, it's become such a habit. But hopefully it doesn't return. Atleast until it gets a little warmer and I can take a look. I've done some brakes before (cavalier, vw, honda), but i've never messed with the Ebrake. Seems like it'd be a real *****.

Thanks for the info Cowboy. If/when I dig into the rear brakes i'll be sure to hit you up after i've busted all my knuckles and thrown all my tools. Seems like one job i'm not looking forward to.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

It's not that tough if you have someone lending a hand. If you do it yourself, you can save $500+ in labor for better things like snowboard trips!

Hit me up if and when..

#9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Clovis (So. Cal.) & Yosemite National Park (Nor. Cal.)

It happened to me for the first time late yesterday afternoon. It had snowed a lot since I last drove it a week or two ago, and super freezing temps here in the park. I did not have the e-brake on while it was parked (no one does here in the winter), but when I went to pull it out of the driveway, I heard what was probably the same sound clunk-bell sound. It resonated thru the FJ, and I had one of those major WTF moments. I ended up driving it less then ten miles, with a couple stops. No strange noises (yet). Hope none come, but I will check this if I do. Thanks!

'08 Sun Fusion
'08 Highlander Hybrid, Black
Current view from my front porch.
http://pixelcaster.com/yosemite/webcams/ahwahnee2.jpg

2013 Ghost Town Tour

Livin' where off-roading can get you a ticket...or worse.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 PM

It's a very common issue here , in the winter , to have the exposed E-brake cables freeze overnight such that releasing the Handel does not, in fact release the E-brake. This is so common that all the old time Alaskans will tell you to Never use the E-brake on any vehicle in freezing temps.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.