Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Dealership Experience: Toyota of Puyallup

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Gadsdan 
#1 ·

I was not pleased after reviewing the footage from the dealership. You decide if this is harmless talk or seriously unprofessional. Highlights in the description.

Toyota of Puyallup, Puyallup Washington

All times are approximate (Time stamp is incorrect, this was 8/31/2015)

1:47 - Starts randomly flipping aftermarket switches
2:14 - Sounds like he says something about "gun storage" possibly referring to keys in my dash console that say "gun vault" - nothing is in the vault in the back.
2:26 - Banging on the locked center console lid and messing with some aftermarket electronics
2:41 - handles (gun) magazines and believes a firearm is in the locked center console - There is no firearm in the vehicle.
2:50 Bangs on the locked center console lid again
3:41 - Identifies my Glock patch and believes there to be a Glock in the vehicle - There is no firearm in the vehicle
3:55 - Tech 1 "What's this", Tech 2 "That's a knife"
4:08 - I wanna pick that lock - searches for key
4:25 - Messing with aftermarket electronics again
5:03 - Random tapping on the outside of the vehicle

See less See more
#4 ·
Done. Refund for the 5k service being processed... supposedly.

Did they know they were being taped?

Why leave that much eye candy in the FJ when going in?
They didn't appear to know that there was a recording in process.

All of the electronics are hard wired, CB, switches, etc. "Knives" are seat belt cutters placed in reach of each seat. I request the cabin filter not be inspected, as I do it myself on a more regular basis due to a sensitivity to pollen and such, but no one ever remembers not to.

#6 ·
Unprofessional.... It sounds like they were wanting or trying to access a locked compartment. After turning off the key to your FJ there was no service related reason for hanging out inside of your vehicle. Take a look, like or dislike what they see and get out.
I would have talked with the manager. It sounds like the manager is addressing the issue.

#8 · (Edited)
Interesting that he is somewhat more worried about "copy cats" and the idea of being recorded/watched than he is with treating folks with respect and being a step above in being an OEM dealer, etc.

Good that he took the time to circulate something to employees, but still shows that where he is coming from is not from the aspect of this should not happen, but more about it should not happen as you "never know when you are being watched."

If there was an alternative, I don't think I'd go back to that dealership. If I did, I'd certainly never want those techs working on my vehicle, and would specifically state that to the service manager.

#10 ·
Now I want to go wire my dashcam to be always on. I didn't think it would be necessary, but now I'm reconsidering. Actually, I've been thinking about getting a dual camera setup for the FJ and moving my single (Blackvue DR600) camera to my GF's car. Since I would have to rewire anyway, that would be a perfect time to move the power supply.

I loaned my GF the FJ to visit her Mom. The dashcam caught her threatening to drive over the median! She was just teasing her Mom, but I busted her lol.

What is the loop cycle like with always on or "parking mode" event recording? Right now with mine only recording when the car is on, my 64GB card writes over itself about every 10 days.

#12 ·
I had mine plugged in to a portable battery while it was in for service. I was curious, more than anything, to see what went on. I have an iSound 16,000mAh battery so it will do the trick. It is a pricey little guy at $80-$120, but when you know a guy... haha. I normally have it plugged in so it comes on with the ignition.

Right now I'm looking for a setup that has a central unit to plug whatever cameras/mics you want into them and possibly a small screen with controls that I can mount were I want. I haven't found such a thing yet.

#11 ·
I will never go to that dealership again!

They did not fully tighten my drain plug when I went in for an oil change and it leaked about 3/4 of a quart all down the bottom of my rig in a couple weeks. I am so glad i noticed it so soon as the oil could have gotten a lot lower and possibly ruined the motor on a pretty new rig. I was not happy to say the least. When I asked what would happen to the person that did the work the service manager said he would talk to the tech but that's all he could or would do. I have also marked the tires with a sharpie to see if they were rotating my tires correctly. I specifically ask for a 5 tire rotation every time and refer them to the owners manual on how to correctly do it. they usually didn't do the 5 tire and only did a 4 tire rotation and once they didn't even do the rotation.

They are definitely more concerned about themselves and the survey results rather than making sure quality work is actually being done.

Its a shame because I literally live down the street and was wanting to use them for my service.

Bottom Line: STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Gadsdan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.