Skiing or Snowboarding??? - Page 12 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Sports / Activities If you wish to discuss sports or other activities here (mountain biking, hiking, etc) please do so in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#111 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Skiing or Snowboarding???

Hello dan here, love to snowboard been doing it for like 15 years and our local mountain china peak just open, were located near the sierras. as far as ear buds are concerned don t really like them too much, mainly because of ear discomfort, after extended all day use. so i have a protec helmet that has earphones inside earmuffs witch are connected to my my ipod works great. when i want to hear someone talk on chair i simply disconnect ipod form helmet and i can hear every thing, thats probably the best. if you don't wear a helmet ive seen some beanies now carry this technology. so thats my 2 cents. p.s. that Alaska trip is my dream waiting to happen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#112 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 AM
"I've got more hair and I'm sexier than Old Cruiser"

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I don't do either, and would rather be on a snowmobile, but I've heard that snowboarders are just people not coordinated enough to ski with a board on each foot. True?
#113 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)

Quote:
1/2mill90 previously said: View Post
I don't do either, and would rather be on a snowmobile, but I've heard that snowboarders are just people not coordinated enough to ski with a board on each foot. True?
A lot more freedom and manueverability with two boards, IMHO.

<==< My mac n' cheese! In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
I would rather be tried by twelve, than carried by six.
#114 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage

I started skiing with a group of friends in high school. I ended up going to a college that even had its own ski hill unfortunately during my freshman year I destroyed my shoulder so no more of either for me I mostly snowshoe now.

My Build:07 Black Cherry 6MT

You haven’t really failed, because you haven’t really tried to succeed. So don’t credit yourself as a failure. You’re worse than that.
- Take Me Home Tonight

#115 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Forum Master

Garage
Supporting Member

Snowboarding.

I learned to ski in the army pulling an akio, wearing a ruck, and sporting a rifle. Kind of sucked the fun out of it.

’08 Sandstorm, AT - Damn Thing Will Climb a Tree!
2.5” Daystar spacer lift
285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Bilstein 5100's on back
Rigid Industries 40" Lightbar on a Gobi Stealth Rack. "Like a little bit of the sun."
Custom 3rd row seat.
Blacked out the silver.
Manual switch for the DRL's.
Custom made equipment rack in the tail gate.
And for Pete’s sake, get yourself the LED dome lights!

Wrote the novel called "White Passage: Red Sun." It's based upon my Special Forces counter terrorism and counterinsurgency experience in Latin America. You can check it out here: http://www.WhitePassage.com
#116 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM
"I've got more hair and I'm sexier than Old Cruiser"

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Garage

I quoted Smalldog and made my post above to joke with him. The quote isn't there? Must have hit the wrong button. Just joking around though. I never did learn to ski and I grew up just a few miles from two ski areas. Same with snow boarding, just never learned. I love to watch both on TV though especially on the Olympics with all of the different types of events. I was really impressed with Shaun White when I watched him. Amazing. He has a special training area down by Silverton, CO that was built for him too I've heard.
#117 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Supporting Member
Quote:
Haha, taking a stab are ya? Snowboarders re-revolutionized skiing from the ski design, tricks, style, etc.

There is nothing like surfing through 3 ft of powder on a board. With skiing it seems you are fighting the snow creating resistance. It's also harder to square the family jewels on a shrub, tree, or pole

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

• 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • Stealth Custom Series Matte Bronze Wheels
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
#118 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
I quoted Smalldog and made my post above to joke with him. The quote isn't there? Must have hit the wrong button. Just joking around though. I never did learn to ski and I grew up just a few miles from two ski areas. Same with snow boarding, just never learned. I love to watch both on TV though especially on the Olympics with all of the different types of events. I was really impressed with Shaun White when I watched him. Amazing. He has a special training area down by Silverton, CO that was built for him too I've heard.
Red Bull set it up for him

DO Rocks http://www.demello-offroad.com

2011 Black Fj : Icon Ext. Coilovers, MT LT Rear, Pioneer headunit, Mpac Side and rear rack, Midland CB, 3ft firestik, Bandi mount, Demello single hoop bumper with Smittybuilt 10k winch, Expedition One Windshield Fluid Resivoir, 285/75r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Gobi Stealth Rack
My Build: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...d94-build.html
#119 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Haven't read the whole thread but skiing all the way for me. Never been a boarder but I could see how it had its appeal when skis weren't really practical in deep powder or the park. Nowadays there is nothing you can do on a board that you can't do better on skis IMHO. Not saying boarders are worse but if you look at movies, competition and events. Ski racing (whether alpine, skier cross or other forms) skiers will always set faster times on the same course. Today skiers in the pipe or park are spinning more, going bigger and there are just more tricks possible when your legs aren't attached to the same board. in the bumps skis are more practical anyways. Of course this a generalization and there are plenty of boarders that can wipe the floor with most skiers, but this thread is about generalizing, right?

On top of that your skis eject in a fall (hopefully) which means you have a much greater chance of staying near the top if caught in an avalanche where a snowboard acts like a giant anchor dragging you down (same with tele skis but that's another story). skinning on skis is also way more natural and less of a hassle than snowshoeing with a snowboard or using a split board. Ultimately I'm just glad I'm skis on every catwalk, traverse or Poma or T-bar type lift.

My personal opinion is that snowboarding lost any advantages it might have had over skiing when twin tip and powder skis hit the scene and you are limiting how easily you can access different types of terrain on a board vs skis.

All that said I have nothing against snowboarders (unless you sit in packs of 10 right at the top of the lift an strap in while you're in everybody's way) and have some great friends who board and I really admire people like Jeremy Jones and Travis Rice and could watch Art of Flight or Deeper any day. But when it comes to how I access the goods it's gotta be skis, hands down.

'07 VB FJ 6MT, 3'' OME, 285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 16x8 ATX Chamber Teflons, Demello Front Bumper, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Lightforce 170s, Trail Gear sliders, SCUBA Mod and some other minor doodads...

The Ultimate Toolbox: Duct tape - For things that move but shouldn't; WD40 - For things that don't move but should.

My build

Last edited by Ranger92; 12-12-2012 at 09:56 AM.
#120 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Forum Veteran

Both.
1990 called. He wants his "skiers vs. snowboarders" feud back... =)

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Sports / Activities

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.