Building a shifter kart - Page 8 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Sports / Activities If you wish to discuss sports or other activities here (mountain biking, hiking, etc) please do so in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#71 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Building a shifter kart

Chris is sandbagging with his weight there and trying to get a head start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#72 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJNewb previously said: View Post
Chris is sandbagging with his weight there and trying to get a head start
And I'll have to add 40 lbs of led to mine!

MY BUILD THREAD
THE SPACE CRUISER

Thanks to the following people and companies that have contributed to my build:

Arien and Jason @ Demello Offroad
Doc @ Springtail Solutions
Krista and Peter @ Moto Alliance
TLCA# 20167

http://www.ricochetoffroad.com/

Quote:
Get_Lost previously said: View Post

I'll believe that corporations are people when Texas executes one of them.
#73 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Buggy Building Moderator

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Can the weight be added anywhere or do they limit the locations?
#74 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)

It can be mounted anywhere pretty much. As long as it's secure and safety wired. I'll be throwing it all over to get my corner weights set

MY BUILD THREAD
THE SPACE CRUISER

TLCA# 20167

Quote:

#75 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post
You don't think I will? That's the beauty of these, they really are hard to hurt.
i've broken pieces of my shoulder and spine in one. broken many ribs over 14 years of racing them across the nation. i've seen two fatalities and friends with broken backs and necks.

twisted a few chassis beyond recognition. hit someone in the side pod so hard once I broke both of my front brake rotors into a number of pieces. bent and broken rear axles. racing competitively, we would bend both 40 and 50 mm axles on a weekly basis. we would normally carry 5-10 different axles for replacement. they varied in hardness, thickness, and length for tuning purposes.

they are not to be messed with. anything from an 80cc shifter up is getting pretty darn fast.
#76 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
It can be mounted anywhere pretty much. As long as it's secure and safety wired. I'll be throwing it all over to get my corner weights set
when i was racing back in 07, i was significantly lighter. i would fluctuate between 152 and 158 lbs so i ran approx 25-30 lbs of weight depending on my weight at the time of the race. We had it down to a science with how much fuel to run so i could make weight at the end of the race.

I expereiented with fuel all of the kart. I ran it on the chassis, floor pan, and seat. after spending a lot of time in the seat (approx 15 hours a week for 14 years) and a lot of time on the scales, I found that mounting the weight as low as possible on the seat. Use thick seat mounting washers so you dont tear the weight off of the seat. Also, a word on seats, I ran Tillet fiberglass seats with the 1/4 padding on them for about 10 years. Then i finally went to a Ribtect carbon fiber seat and a ribtect rib protector. It was the most comfortable, supportive, and secure seat i had ever used.

Last edited by Briman42487; 01-18-2013 at 12:09 PM.
#77 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Briman42487 previously said: View Post
i've broken pieces of my shoulder and spine in one. broken many ribs over 14 years of racing them across the nation. i've seen two fatalities and friends with broken backs and necks.

twisted a few chassis beyond recognition. hit someone in the side pod so hard once I broke both of my front brake rotors into a number of pieces. bent and broken rear axles. racing competitively, we would bend both 40 and 50 mm axles on a weekly basis. we would normally carry 5-10 different axles for replacement. they varied in hardness, thickness, and length for tuning purposes.

they are not to be messed with. anything from an 80cc shifter up is getting pretty darn fast.
Oh absolutely. These aren't toys. I mean they are but... You are right there is the potential to get hurt for sure. I only raced for about three years and in that amount of time I saw 2 broken thumbs, and one broken leg. I cracked a rib, but that was my fault. I didn't have a rib vest at the time. There was a motocross track right next to our kart track. I don't think I can remember one race day where there wasn't an ambulance at the motocross taking someone away.
Quote:
when i was racing back in 07, i was significantly lighter. i would fluctuate between 152 and 158 lbs so i ran approx 25-30 lbs of weight depending on my weight at the time of the race. We had it down to a science with how much fuel to run so i could make weight at the end of the race.

I expereiented with fuel all of the kart. I ran it on the chassis, floor pan, and seat. after spending a lot of time in the seat (approx 15 hours a week for 14 years) and a lot of time on the scales, I found that mounting the weight as low as possible on the seat. Use thick seat mounting washers so you dont tear the weight off of the seat. Also, a word on seats, I ran Tillet fiberglass seats with the 1/4 padding on them for about 10 years. Then i finally went to a Ribtect carbon fiber seat and a ribtect rib protector. It was the most comfortable, supportive, and secure seat i had ever used.

I might have to seriously consider a ribtect seat. All the top guys were running them when I used to race. I remember being a little beat up after a race day and I'm not any younger now.

Weight is a huge factor. That was my biggest downfall when I raced is I didn't have decent scales so I'm sure my corner weights weren't ideal. I'm definitely going to take a more scientific approach this time around. Thanks for the input!

MY BUILD THREAD
THE SPACE CRUISER

TLCA# 20167

Quote:

#78 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Forum Superstar

if you need any assistance or advice, just ask. i will keep tabs on this thread, even though i no longer own a fj...... karting was a huge part of my life and i enjoy helping people with something that i was so passionate about.
#79 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
if you need any assistance or advice, just ask. i will keep tabs on this thread, even though i no longer own a fj...... karting was a huge part of my life and i enjoy helping people with something that i was so passionate about.
Awesome! I truly appreciate that!

MY BUILD THREAD
THE SPACE CRUISER

TLCA# 20167

Quote:

#80 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Yogi Bear Pair up in Threes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)

Quote:
Well I kind of forgot about this thread. Here is an update. I got the kart all put together just in time to make the last practice day of the season. I mixed up my fuel and took a ball park guess at jetting and she fired right up!

IMG_1092 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_1093 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_1095 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_1096 by cnckart, on Flickr

After starting her up and getting some heat in the engine it was time to test her out. Unfortunately I found a gear box issue. My 6 speed conversion didn't work so well. I found out that Honda has two versions of these cases and transmissions. A wide and a narrow. I had a narrow trans in wide cases and it wouldn't stay in third. As pretty as it was since I wasn't going to go to the track without a third gear I decided to tear the whole kart down. I had a couple of crushed frame tubes from someone clamping an engine mount way too tight. I got that fixed and just need to get it on a chassis table to make sure the frame is straight and then new powder for the frame. I'll be tearing it up this spring!
Saweeet! Brad That kart looks great!

wake up people! plastic Dip SUCKS! Put the can down and just walk away!

And now a reading from the book of Snouts 42:1
Until you learn to define your manhood by your actions and accomplishments -- not by financed material possessions, we will all question your masculinity. Pull the string.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Off-Topic Area > Sports / Activities

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.