Step by Step - How to Program Key Fob (New or Existing) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Step by Step - How to Program Key Fob (New or Existing)

I did a search for this and could not find any reference to it. This information came from a Toyota TSB dated November 9, 2007 (TSB#EL009-07) I just added a remote to my 07 FJ and can confirm this information is accurate.

Begin With;
- Driver's door open and unlocked
- Key out of ignition
1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds

2. Close and open the driver's door TWICE.

3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE: Steps 4-6 should be performed within 40 seconds

4. Close and open the driver's door TWICE

5. Insert the key into the ingnition

6. Close the door

7. Turn the ignition switch from "LOCK" to "ON" and back to "LOCK" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode from the list below:
- 1 time for ADD mode
- 2 times for REWRITE mode
- 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode
- 5 times for PROHIBITION mode

8. Remove the key from the ignition

9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

NOTE: If CONFIRMATION or PROHIBITION modes have been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure.

10. For ADD or REWRITE modes, do the following within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation;
A - Press both transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simulataneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release. (I had to do this a few times because I held the buttons down longer than the 1-1.5 seconds)
B - Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter LOCK button from more than 1 second and release.
> If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time.
> If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.
C - If multiple remotes are to be reprgrammed, repeat steps A and B

11. Open to driver's door to conclude programming mode

12. If you make an error during the programming mode, turn the ignition key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" to erase entered steps.

Good luck and ping me if you have any questions or issues. This procedure works for all 2007 and 2008 FJs as well as the following;

2000 - 2005 Celica
2001 - 2003 Prius
2001 - 2005 ECHO
2001 - 2007 Highlander
2001 - 2008 RAV4
2002 - 2006 Camry
2003 - 2008 Avalon, Corolla and Matrix
2004 - 2008 Sienna and Solara
2005 - 2008 Tacoma
2007 - 2008 FJ Cruiser and Yaris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Re: Step by Step - How to Program Key Fob (New or Existing)

thanks great info

#3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:46 AM

Garage

Thanks for the info.

As I was reading this, I can picture my neighbors looking at me weird opening and closing my door multiple times and playing with my keys.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Thanks for posting this Nick.
I just ordered a chip key off ebay ($22.00). I'm going to try this procedure with my '08 FJ when the key arrives.
Has anyone been successful using this method?
Cheers,
Greg
#5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
NickP previously said: View Post
I did a search for this and could not find any reference to it. This information came from a Toyota TSB dated November 9, 2007 (TSB#EL009-07) I just added a remote to my 07 FJ and can confirm this information is accurate.

Begin With;
- Driver's door open and unlocked
- Key out of ignition
1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds

2. Close and open the driver's door TWICE.

3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE: Steps 4-6 should be performed within 40 seconds

4. Close and open the driver's door TWICE

5. Insert the key into the ingnition

6. Close the door

7. Turn the ignition switch from "LOCK" to "ON" and back to "LOCK" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode from the list below:
- 1 time for ADD mode
- 2 times for REWRITE mode
- 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode
- 5 times for PROHIBITION mode

8. Remove the key from the ignition

9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

NOTE: If CONFIRMATION or PROHIBITION modes have been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure.

10. For ADD or REWRITE modes, do the following within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation;
A - Press both transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simulataneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release. (I had to do this a few times because I held the buttons down longer than the 1-1.5 seconds)
B - Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter LOCK button from more than 1 second and release.
> If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time.
> If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.
C - If multiple remotes are to be reprgrammed, repeat steps A and B

11. Open to driver's door to conclude programming mode

12. If you make an error during the programming mode, turn the ignition key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" to erase entered steps.

Good luck and ping me if you have any questions or issues. This procedure works for all 2007 and 2008 FJs as well as the following;

2000 - 2005 Celica
2001 - 2003 Prius
2001 - 2005 ECHO
2001 - 2007 Highlander
2001 - 2008 RAV4
2002 - 2006 Camry
2003 - 2008 Avalon, Corolla and Matrix
2004 - 2008 Sienna and Solara
2005 - 2008 Tacoma
2007 - 2008 FJ Cruiser and Yaris
Hi Nick,

I will try your steps this weekend. Thanks for the post. Quick question about the modes. First, I lost my original keyless remote keys(2) so I would like to unprogram those two. I purchased two online and I am wondering if this would be an add mode or a rewrite mode. My only working key is the valet key. I was able to get the two purchased online cut by the dealer for free. My question is what mode do I use and what happens to the valet key. Does it reset too?
#6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Forum Veteran

Got my new ebay remote today and used the above and it worked after like five times of trying it. take your time it will work! Thanks again for the great info!

#7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Greetings,

I was successful in unlocking/locking with the new keys I purchased online. I was unable to start the FJC with them though. Does this program also enable me to start the ignition or do I have to go to the dealer for that. They want $155. Please help!
#8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the Information. Like everybody else, I went to the Dealership to get another fob and they quoted me $235 for one. I picked one up on Ebay made by Denso (toyota OEM) for $18. They have tons avaliable on ebay. Just make sure your FCC Id# is the same as the advertised fob. Thanks again!

Semper Fidelis,

07 Fj VooDoo Blue, BFG Km2's, Safari Snorkel, Cobra LTD 29 Night Watch CB, Flow Master Super 40 Series Muff, Welded Rock Slide Side Rails; Front, T-Case, & Exhaust skid plates, Spring tail solutions MPAC rear and side racks, QuickFist tool attachments, custom dents and scratches, No Roof Rack because they're too damn expensive for the right flavor of rack!
#9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Forum Regular

Lifetime Supporting Member

Thanks just saved me 50 bucks from the stealer. My frount door is not hooked up but worked with the back door! 2007 FJC
#10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Banned

This work on 2010 models? And to clarify, this will not only program the remote but enable the key to start the vehicle as well?

I ordered a 2 key combo off of Ebay, one just opens the doors the other will do it all.

I can't find a remote though, just blanks with no internal electronics. You guys have a place I can find a complete remote with a blank key?

Last edited by American; 08-08-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.