Possible Amp locations - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 37857
Possible Amp locations

I have ordered a JL Audio XD600/1 to run a 10W3v3 in a custom fiberglass enclosure for the driver's side wheel arch. I have searched and read the posts regarding amp location, but I am not happy with the results. I don't have to worry about deep water crossings so I could mount it under the seat. That seems so unoriginal to me. I don't want to mount it on the back of the seat and I don't want to conceal it behind a panel for heat reasons.
I have made a template (a little larger than true size) and have been playing around. I really liked the location behind the center console. The only problem I see is that if I drop the rear seat flat- it might hit the amp. If I do mount it under the seat, I would probably fabricate an elevated mounting plate and route the wires nicely through the board.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Possible Amp locations-dsc_0001.jpg   Possible Amp locations-dsc_0002.jpg   Possible Amp locations-dsc_0003.jpg   Possible Amp locations-dsc_0004.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 25887
Re: Possible Amp locations

There is hardly any space behind that center console when you fold the seats down. I'm kinda in the same boat....I was considering making a mount for the rear door....but slamming it isn't so hot for the amp IMO. So I'll probably mount it on my existing side rack above the wheel wells
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 5976
Send a message via AIM to underactive Send a message via Yahoo to underactive
Lifetime Supporting Member

After getting stuck in some deep mud and water creeping through the doors, mounting my amps under the seat was out of the question.

My solution consists of an Mpac side rack coupled with particle board that I cut out to match the dimensions of my Fosgate amps. It's extremely sturdy, as they are essentially mounted to the body, and I don't have to worry about them during trail runs.

Eric - 2007 FJC #34946 - TLCA #17041 Voodoo Blue 4WD
http://underactive.net
Old 08-08-2010, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow! Those Fosgate amps are huge. Hopefully I can take advantage of the extremely small footprint of my amp and put them somewhere hidden. I did some more searching and I found some install examples. It seems amps are either under the seat or are so huge they are mounted in the back.
I love the FJ but it is definitely limited on install possibilities.
Thanks for the input.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 3795

The pictures link in this thread are no longer there but if you read NorthshoreVooDoo's write up, you will get the idea. He spent almost $10k on this set-up and I was absolutely amazed at what he accomplished. You may be able to follow his lead.
When the pictures were there, it looked wicked. Unfortunately, he hasn't been on here since Dec. '07 but you might be able to send him an email through his profile and ask for pictures. Good luck.

2014 Tundra SR5 Louisiana Edition - Acquired 12/21/13
1978 FJ40 LandCruiser - Hachi - Acquired 04/07/10
2007 2WD SUN FUSION FJ Cruiser - Acquired 07/03/06 - Sold 12/21/13
1977 FJ40 LandCruiser - Acquired 05/30/09 - Sold 04/07/10

2nd Annual Mardi Krawl

- President

Last edited by Bang Bang; 08-08-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

I did see the pics of the amps mounted in the ceiling. The install was a little over the top for me. I can appreciate the craftsmanship but I am looking for a more modest installation.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 3795

Well, I guess you said it earlier then. There are not that many places to mount amps in the FJ.....
*Under front seat
*On the back of the rear seats
*Over the rear wheel wells
*In the headliner
*Custom box for the cargo floor

I mounted mine under the passenger seat. I just used 2 strips of 3/4 inch wood to lift the amp off the floor for air circulation.

2014 Tundra SR5 Louisiana Edition - Acquired 12/21/13
1978 FJ40 LandCruiser - Hachi - Acquired 04/07/10
2007 2WD SUN FUSION FJ Cruiser - Acquired 07/03/06 - Sold 12/21/13
1977 FJ40 LandCruiser - Acquired 05/30/09 - Sold 04/07/10

2nd Annual Mardi Krawl

- President

Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Mike. I'm thinking the under the seat is going to be the best for what I am looking for. Thanks for suggesting the riser. Why did you choose the passenger seat? Was there anything underneath to worry about hitting? I was considering the drivers side since my enclosure is for that side and the battery is also on that side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.