ScanGauge vs. UltraGauge - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
ScanGauge vs. UltraGauge

I'm considering buying one or the other, but can someone tell me the difference between the two, other than the fact that one costs twice as much as the other? It seems to me that the UltraGauge does the same thing the ScanGauge does for half the price at $70.

I want to use it for MPG monitoring and a few other things. My 2010 Tundra came with this information available, but seeing the 12.8 average MPG of the 5.7 motor was rather depressing, so maybe not - lmao!

I dunno. The UltraGauge looks nicer with a better display and has better mounting hardware, but if it's a POS as compared to the ScanGauge I'll buy the ScanGauge. Is it a matter of you get what you pay for?

Thoughts?

Metal Tech/Radflo Stage 3; Radflo 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers, Radflo 2" Rear Shocks, Radflo 2" Rear Lift Springs, Total Chaos UCAs, Metal Tech Offset Rear Lower Links, Metal Tech Tube Bumper with Winch Mount, Engo E10000S, Metal Tech Outpost Off Road Sliders, Metal Tech Tube Rear Bumper, Metal Tech Light Bar, Rigid E-Series LED Lighting, PIAA 520 Ion Crystal Driving, PIAA 520 Ion Crystal Fog, XD 797 Spy Gloss Blk Machined 17x9 -12mm, 285/70R17 Goodyear DuraTracs, Ricochet HD Skids, Baja Rack Drop-in Basket, Cobra 75WXST, Firestik, Boztec, BMC, 60" Hi-Lift, Factor 55 ProLink, sPOD, Ellis Precision
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Re: ScanGauge vs. UltraGauge

I've had the Ultragauge for over a year and it works just fine. I use it mostly for mpg but it has a number of different functions that you can program. It was worth the price for me.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Loving my Ultragauge. Definitely the Instant/Average MPG readouts are the most watched but this thing does have some very helpful info. Battery ....Water Temp.... MAF pressure...etc etc.

And it is definitely plug and play.

'07 FJ, C package, 5A, Ti

mods so far
Mod, mod, and more mods and it still looks way to friggin' stock.....grrrrr

Love my truck.....Love my forum

http://www.fjnortheasters.org/forum/

The Northeastest Northeaster
#4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

if you want to know the difference just do a normal internet search.

they both do the same thing. scangauge is programmable and ultragauge is not. ultragauge is cheaper and takes up more real estate on your dash.

you can also go bluetooth and get an app for your phone or tablet.

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
#5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One of the downsides to the ultra gauge is that the buttons are on the back! I'd like to meet the guy who thought that was a good idea...

Given that, I'm pretty happy with mine. You can't beat it at $70.

2007 Ti - 6MT
255/80 17 BFG KM2
Budbuilt Skids, Sliders
Domello Front Bumper w/Warn VR10000
OME Heavy
Camburg UCAs

TLCA: 20101
#6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular

Does the scangauge give you trans temp readout? Or, can you program that parameter into it?
#7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Katumba1 previously said: View Post
Does the scangauge give you trans temp readout? Or, can you program that parameter into it?
I just programmed an xgauge on my scangauge to read trans temp. Super easy works great. My firmware is 4.7. The latest version.

sent from my Droid....using the paid auto guide app that rarely works properly

KK6FJC

March '08 Sandstorm 4x4. ICON Stage 6, Bud Built, ARB, EXP ONE, Safari Snorkel, KM2 P-cutters, Dirty Parts....
#8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
awood previously said: View Post
I just programmed an xgauge on my scangauge to read trans temp. Super easy works great. My firmware is 4.7. The latest version.

im hoping to get this on Torque using a plugin.

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
#9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
awood previously said: View Post

ah cool. What kinda temps you seeing?

2010 Silver/Black 4x4
#10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
NBFJCruz previously said: View Post
Loving my Ultragauge. Definitely the Instant/Average MPG readouts are the most watched but this thing does have some very helpful info. Battery ....Water Temp.... MAF pressure...etc etc.

And it is definitely plug and play.
Same.

2008 VDB, 4x4, Auto, Off-Road Package, Demello sliders, ToyTec/OME lift with Bilstein 5100's, Ricochet skids, All-Pro front and rear bumpers, OEM steelies with tires by www.treadwright.com, BajaRack, BlitzPro LED's

Look us up: www.fjbruisers.org

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.