Remote Start Antenna Location? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Remote Start Antenna Location?

As part of the pricing from the dealer we got a remote start and security installed "at no charge" when we purchased our 2012 TT.

The remote start was installed on Monday and my wife was pretty upset by the location of the antenna that was added. She think sit is ugly and it is driving her nuts by being so visible. It doesn't bug me so much but I would like to move it if possible.

The remote start system is a DEI (Avital 4113) with single button remote controls. The antenna location is in these pictures in the upper passenger side of the windshield.

I was considering tucking the antenna under the headliner in that same location so that it wasn't visible.

Is this going to affect how the remote start system works?
Do the remotes and antenna need to be "line of sight" or can the signal transmit through the glass and also through the headliner and or roof panel?

I have the owner's manual and the installation instructions but they don't even mention an antenna or where it should be located. Only reference to the antenna I have seen is in the picture on the Avital website.

Avital 4113 Remote Start System on 2012 FJ Cruiser Review:
The system works fine and the install was done ok.
I don't like how the remote is a separate unit from the normal keyless remote and when remotely started the doors lock and can only be unlocked with a click of the remote start button and not the normal unlock button which can be confusing. All in all it appears to be a budget remote start system that works well on an FJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Remote Start Antenna Location?

My antenna is mounter directly behind my rearview mirror on the windshield.

Out of sight out of mind.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
#3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post

Ditto ^^^^^^ same here

#4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Mine is in the upper left driver's side above a random sticker that I needed to drive in Switzerland that I haven't removed (mostly because I never think of it), but if I were to reposition it, I would put it behind the rear view....never thought about it, but that's a great location.

#5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Full -N- Down

Quote:

This is where mine is also. Don't even know its there.

2007 Black Diamond | 6MT | 4x4 |Trail-Gear Sliders | BFG MT KM2's 255/80-R17 | Icon Stage One 3" Lift | Camburg UCA's | Body Mount Chop | All Pro adjustable rear LCA's | Lucrum Winch Mount W/Light Bar | Hella 500 driving lights | Warn M8000 winch | Ramsey Wireless Winch Controller | Wet Okole seat covers | Yaesu FT-8800R | Garmin Nuvi 350 | This isn't a "build", simply a bunch of parts I put on my FJ so I could beat the living cr@p out of it | No fancy pics or contributors and no attempts to "buff" out pinstriping or dents! It is what it is, a great all around vehicle that's a blast to drive anywhere, regardless of the dents and scratches!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 03:15 AM

Garage

Mine is also behind the mirror, which is a great thing because it is bigger than these, but still out of view.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 PM

(Thread Starter)

I decided to be brave and try to relocate the remote start antenna to behind the rear view mirror. Took apart the visor, a pillars and mirror mount and planned out how I was going to run the wire. I was thinking it would be nice to stick the antenna to the front most part of the rear view mirror support so that it could only be seen from outside.

In the process of all of this I decided to try the antenna just zip tied behind the passenger A pillar. So far it is completely hidden and the range is still sufficient. Win Win!

Thanks for everybody's help!
#8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Full -N- Down

Quote:
AK Allen previously said: View Post
Mine is also behind the mirror, which is a great thing because it is bigger than these, but still out of view.
Mine's much larger than the ones in these pictures as well. I'm guessing it's a range thing. Having it stuck to the windshield behind the rear view mirror keeps it visually unobtrusive despite being at least double the size of the ones pictured above.

Never thought about putting it inside the A Pillar though. They lose signal strength (attenuation) being behind glass anyway, so in the A Pillar behind some steel probably isn't a whole lot worse.

2007 Black Diamond | 6MT | 4x4 |Trail-Gear Sliders | BFG MT KM2's 255/80-R17 | Icon Stage One 3" Lift | Camburg UCA's | Body Mount Chop | All Pro adjustable rear LCA's | Lucrum Winch Mount W/Light Bar | Hella 500 driving lights | Warn M8000 winch | Ramsey Wireless Winch Controller | Wet Okole seat covers | Yaesu FT-8800R | Garmin Nuvi 350 | This isn't a "build", simply a bunch of parts I put on my FJ so I could beat the living cr@p out of it | No fancy pics or contributors and no attempts to "buff" out pinstriping or dents! It is what it is, a great all around vehicle that's a blast to drive anywhere, regardless of the dents and scratches!
#9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Full -N- Down

Quote:
Golf Echo previously said: View Post
Mine is in the upper left driver's side above a random sticker that I needed to drive in Switzerland that I haven't removed (mostly because I never think of it), but if I were to reposition it, I would put it behind the rear view....never thought about it, but that's a great location.

Golf Echo,
Is that speaker pod in your A Pillar stock? Wow, our A Pillars are big as it is and that thing looks huge. Add the required sticker and auto start antenna and things get even more cramped.

#10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM

Garage

Quote:

Agreed. It hides it so well that sometimes I totally forget that I even have autostart...

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
General Grabber AT2 285/75/16 | 16x8.5 Level 8 Trackers | Bilstein 5100s | Daystar 1.5" Rear Spacer | AstroStart RSS-5225 | Ricochet Air Dam | OEM Roof Rack

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.