Electric chainsaw? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Electric chainsaw?

Quote:
Tonka Cruiser previously said: View Post
Can't give you a time but i use it to limb trees and the 3 batteries will last afternoon.
This looks like the way to go. No gas and you can haul it anywhere with out an extension cord.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, & Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs & Batt clamp - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Die Hard 850 - Kenwood DNX6980 Nav Radio - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Tonka Cruiser previously said: View Post
I carry one of these with 3 batteries when I wheel: [url="http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-LCS120-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B004JMZH1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354412148&sr=8-2&keywords=black+and+decker+battery+chainsaw"]
Never tried this, and I've never been a big fan of Black and Decker's Black and Decker branded tools -- although some of them are okay for casual use. (Their DeWalt line is pretty good usually.) However, this looks like it might be the solution to the OP's concern, if his concern is branches in the road. It would take a very hefty inverter and a ton of extension cord to operate the 120v saw he described. This battery operated would take a lot less space (no extension cord) and weight and it would cut (at least theoretically) most of what a person would likely care to cut and move out of the way. For real bushwacking or clearing a fallen 20"+ tree out of the road, this won't come close, so a lot depends what you imagine wanting to do.

Even this little battery operated saw needs about as much maintenance as a gas saw though. You don't have to carry fuel, but you still have to keep the chain sharp (and a short chain like this is going to get dull fast), and you have to carry bar oil. It isn't any fun to cut wood when a chain is dull. So in terms of maintenance, you're trading charging batteries for mixing and carrying fuel. There's a safety advantage to not sloshing gasoline around in the back of your rig, but there's not really much less maintenance. The corded saw might have more power and run longer than the battery powered saw, but it would be a much bigger hassle, in my opinion. It would still need bar oil and the chain would need frequent sharpening.

For me, since I already have an 18" Husqvarna 346, if I were dealing with this kind of wheeling, I'd secure the saw I already have in the back of my FJ, with a full tank and little or no extra fuel and I'd know I could move just about any tree out of the way.

All of this doesn't touch the safety issues involved in cutting standing or fallen timber. No matter what tools you use, this is not something a novice ought to be doing.

TT
#13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage

Speaking of chains I have the electric chain sharpener sold by Harbor Freight. I was a little leery but the price was cheap and it was on sale. Well it works great and you can sharpen a chain in 10 minutes. It cost me $25 on sale.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, & Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs & Batt clamp - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Die Hard 850 - Kenwood DNX6980 Nav Radio - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

#14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

IMO electric/battery powered chainsaws are like riding scooters.......sounds like a good idea until you do it.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
#15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The saws I carry don't require oil, motor, gas and are safe to carry and use and don't weigh much. They just require a little elbow grease. I've cut through logs as thick as 24" and it didn't take as long as you might think and I've never heard of anyone cutting off their arm or leg with one of these. I've cleared an entire trail after a major blow down, with a little help from my friends, as the song says.

http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index....+saws%2FBlades

Have a GREAT DAY!!!

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

2007 Sun Fusion FJ Cruiser
MODS: roof rack extension, K&N Air Charger, Polar Bear Grille Guard, Tow Package
#16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
bgiroux previously said: View Post
The saws I carry don't require oil, motor, gas and are safe to carry and use and don't weigh much. They just require a little elbow grease. I've cut through logs as thick as 24" and it didn't take as long as you might think and I've never heard of anyone cutting off their arm or leg with one of these. I've cleared an entire trail after a major blow down, with a little help from my friends, as the song says.

Home Hardware - 36" Bow Saw
There you go. I'm actually in the process of refurbishing my old bow saw. Needs a new blade and it took a lot of sanding and brushing to get all the corrosion off of it. There was a time when I cut all of my firewood with it. It's been a long time.... For back roads it's just right.

TT
#17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have an electric chain saw somewhere in the shop that has been moving around with me for years, just not worth unpacking as far as I am concerned. I used it several times and it's just more hassle than it is worth, just no real guts.

OP, if you are concerned about trees down in the road or on the trail I look at it like this
Pretty much any tree that you can cut up with the average electric chain saw you can remove with a bow saw, hatchet and a winch.

If you are going to the trouble to carry a chain saw and all that is needed for it I prefer to go with gas, at least I know it will have the power needed to do the job.

"The next best thing to playing and winning, is playing and losing"
Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell
Spirituality is for those who have been there.
#18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
NCFJ previously said: View Post
OP, if you are concerned about trees down in the road or on the trail I look at it like this
Pretty much any tree that you can cut up with the average electric chain saw you can remove with a bow saw, hatchet and a winch.
A winch will make things easier for sure, but a stout rope and 4WD will work most of the time just about as well for this kind of thing. Hatchets, for me anyway, are for splitting stove wood or kindling. For limbing I'd rather have at least a small ax.

TT
#19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Aha!! Maybe this is what I need, it's air-powered!

It’s Just Cool: Underwater Chainsaw! | Toolmonger

Pete's current setup: 2010 Sandstorm :: auto :: 315/75R16 Nitto Grapplers :: All-pro skid plates :: Walker Evans Racing coil overs & shocks :: Bulldog winch :: Demello bumper & sliders :: snorkel :: rock cams w/7" LCD :: Asus TF201 Prime nav :: Intronics dashcam :: Scangauge II :: Uniden PC78 :: 10# Powertank CO2 :: dual Viair 150psi onboard air :: DP Dual Battery kit :: Rigid E-Series 20" + 2x10" :: s-POD :: Onboard LTE Wifi
On order/ready for install: Vision X rock lighting :: Grover stutter horn (yeah, still)
Expeditions: Summit 2012 :: Cruise Moab 2013 :: Summit 2014 :: Summit 2015 :: moon 2065
TLCA#22101 Follow her on Facebook! "Mary Hatch Bailey"
#20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
IMO electric/battery powered chainsaws are like riding scooters.......sounds like a good idea until you do it.
X2 ill stick with gas

07 BD 6MT
Expedition one Kodiak Front Bumper, Titan TW12 winch, Expedition one Sliders, Expedition one Rear w/ Swingout, Bajarack, Bajarack Lightbar, 7" HIDs, Blacked out, IPF 968, 4300k HIDs, 315/70R17 Baja MTZ, BMC, OME 3" lift 885/895, Springtail pet barrier, Springtail HD rear door MPAC, Garmin 255W with topos, Cobra 29LTD, Bandi Mount, 3' Firestik, laptop gps/webcam setup.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.