Electric chainsaw? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Electric chainsaw?

Up here in the pacific northwest, some wheelers will tell you chainsaws are a great idea to have, especially in the spring when you often find the previous fall/winter storms have knocked down trees across the roadway. Guys are guys, and if someone could fit a 4-cyl 22R on an 18" bar and pick it up they'd do it.

However, space and weight being at a premium, I am all about efficiency. I've been thinking about spending < $100 on an electric chainsaw, and just running it with a 100' extension onto a decent AC converter. For instance, there's a $69 Yardworks unit with 16" bar and 12A motor with a 2 year warranty. And you don't have to worry about packing a device with gasoline inside your vehicle. In addition to considerably lighter weight, easy starting, easier storing (can be hung upside down or vertically with no issues), virtually maintenance free, given I have an electrical system upgraded to handle it, is there really any disadvantage to using one? (Aside from snickers from your mates when you pull it out of the back.)

Part 2 of my question is electrical... what would an electric chainsaw pull and would the electrical upgrade requirements be so costly that a gasoline powered saw makes more sense economically?

Pete's current setup: 2010 Sandstorm :: auto :: 285/75R16 BFG Mud Terrain KM2s :: All-pro skid plates :: Walker Evans Racing coil overs & shocks :: Bulldog winch :: Demello bumper & sliders :: snorkel :: rock cams w/7" LCD :: Asus TF201 Prime nav :: Intronics dashcam :: Scangauge II :: Uniden PC78 :: 10# Powertank CO2 :: dual Viair 150psi onboard air :: DP Dual Battery kit :: Rigid E-Series 20" + 2x10" :: s-POD :: Onboard LTE Wifi
On order/ready for install: Vision X rock lighting :: Grover stutter horn (yeah, still)
Expeditions: Summit 2012 :: Cruise Moab 2013 :: Summit 2014 :: Beaufort Sea 2014 :: moon 2065
TLCA#22101 Follow her on Facebook! "Mary Hatch Bailey"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Electric chainsaw?

120volts x 12amps = 1,440 watts. So you'd need an inverter strong enough to put that out continuously. Definitely upsize and get a thick extension cord if you're gonna go 100ft to compensate for voltage drop.

I would agree and back you up that it would be much cleaner/safer/practical to carry an electric version. So long as it has the guts to do the job.

2007 VooDoo 4x4 Auto - LOADED
OEM Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust
Ricochet bash plate, PureFJ sliders
Manik brush guard w/ Blitz 240s
Add'l 12v outlets, Scuba Mod, Amaesing hood decal.
08-09 side sun visors
265 Duratrac's on Raceline Rockcrusher. Bilstein 5100's to level the front.
Backup Camera w/ 7" monitor
Power rear window mod
Hemi71cuda's Build

Last edited by Hemi71cuda; 12-01-2012 at 02:49 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Yogi Bear Pair up in Threes

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

battery operated chain saw! keep an extra battery plugged into the FJ AC outlet...

Outdoor Power Tools | STIHL USA

http://www.oregonpowernow.com/en/

http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/CCS818.aspx

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-19.2-...&blockType=G10

2011 Shiba Cruiser
2013 Frontier Crew Cab SV
1998 SeaDoo Challenger 1800
2014 John Deere D125

~Pale Rider Performance ~

Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular

i borrowed an electric chainsaw from a friend just to cut some small limbs, not with the fj inverter, and it worked for a little bit and then caught on fire, i guess it was from sawdust that got in the motor. and unless you pay good money the gas engines have been not so good either lately . i would go quality gas if you use it enough, otherwise let us know what you choose and how it works.

#5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

I have a 16" Mac that I take camping. I usually have to walk off the trail way more than 100' to cut up that nice dead tree that's ready to burn. If you like to camp and you like plenty of firewood an electric chainsaw is simply out of the question.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - MagnaFlow - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, & Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs & Batt clamp - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Die Hard 850 - Kenwood DNX6980 Nav Radio - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

#6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Forum Regular

Big fan of electric chainsaws and their dependability. They are also relatively quiet which is a big plus in some situations. You still have to carry bar lube though.......

A good quality bat op sawzall with an agressive 12" wood blade can be equally effective while being self contained.

Last edited by hobojon; 12-01-2012 at 06:15 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I carry one of these with 3 batteries when I wheel: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-LCS120-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B004JMZH1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354412148&sr=8-2&keywords=black+and+decker+battery+chainsaw
#8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Tonka Cruiser previously said: View Post
I hope the saw is smaller than the hyperlink?

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - MagnaFlow - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, & Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs & Batt clamp - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Die Hard 850 - Kenwood DNX6980 Nav Radio - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack

TCLA Member 4407

#9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
jimmiee previously said: View Post
I hope the saw is smaller than the hyperlink?

Seriously, that looks like the ticket. How long does the battery last cutting small logs?

TCLA Member 4407

#10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Can't give you a time but i use it to limb trees and the 3 batteries will last afternoon.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.