My take on a 12-Circuit Switched Fuse Block (Install with Pics) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
My take on a 12-Circuit Switched Fuse Block (Install with Pics)

As many of you know there are many people out there with an additional fuse panel to accommodate all of their accessories. I decided before my wiring gets out of hand, I better come up with a way to keep everything organized before trouble strikes! (That's just my OCD tendencies kicking in). After doing some research I decided I was not going to pay mad amounts of money for an SPOD when I can easily install a fuse panel and a relay panel and it will essentially do the same thing!

I greatly appreciate two threads in particular because I pretty much jacked a bunch of their ideas and threw my own spin on it (remember, mimicking is the highest form of flattery! ) Before I start I should reference the threads that really helped me guide my train of thought!

LandCruiserSteves:
12-Circuit "Switched" Fuse Block (Installation w/ pics)

and

Shadow-Warriors:
CLEAN 12v Fuse Block Accessory Install w/Pics

So, to begin I purchased a 12 Circuit ST Blade Fuse Block w/ Negative Bus and Cover from amazon.com (PN 5026) and HELLA H84988007 4-Way Mini Relay Box (but I don't actually thing it was a Hella product??) from amazon. I decided that I wanted a switched circuit (meaning they can access power once the ignition is on) for most of my accessories but at the same time, I wanted some with constant 12V power from the battery (like my horns and such). I decided I didn't want my fuse panel in the engine bay to eliminate the cluster of wires out in the open. I decided to locate it exactly where Shadow-Warrior did using a fabricated steel plate. I used 22gauge sheet metal and gave it a quick coat of spray on bed liner I had laying around. Here's a pic before I sprayed it.

While waiting for it to dry I decided I was going to try and figure out how I was going to wire it up. I decided I was going to use an 8 gauge amp kit with an additional fuse (Stinger 8ga. Amp kit purchased at a local car audio shop). I decided I was going to essentially follow the same wiring as LandCruiserSteve but instead of running 2 relays with switched power, I would run 1 with switched power and 1 constant to the panel. I am modifying my fuse panel exactly the same as what he did but my relay/fuse configuration is a bit different under the hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Re: My take on a 12-Circuit Switched Fuse Block (Install with Pics)

I purchased a 6"x4" project enclosure from radio shack and got a few rubber grommets. I drilled 2 holes on one end:

Three holes on the other end:

and two holes through the lid:

I mounted the two fuse brackets to the bottom of the box:

and fitted my two fuses into the brackets:
#3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

I decided to go with fuses instead of circuit breakers because I am not nearly finished with my setup. As my system grows, the amperage will grow requiring different fuses along the way. I find it best to match as closely to the system as possible to you don't cause damage to anything. After the base of the box was good to go I fit the relay junction on top of the box with the existing legs that it comes with:

Here is what the box currently looks like:

This will be mounted right behind the OEM fuse panel under the hood. This is as far as I have gotten tonight. I should be wiring things up and putting them into place tomorrow night. More pics to come as the wiring gets done and as I mount the units into place. Thanks for looking!
#4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage

Good thought process. Are you saying you are going to run the constant through a relay as well? I don't follow if that's the case.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Metallic 4WD AT.
BozTec Diff Skid / BozTec Antenna Mount / Cobra 75WX w/ Firestik Firefly / Firestik FM Antenna Mod (Thanks Nestah!) / Ricochet HD Skids / Radflo Coilover's, Radflo Rear Springs & Shocks / Total Chaos UCA's / Superwinch Talon 9.5 (Need to install) / 17" XD Misfits / 285/70/17 Goodyear MTR's / Expedition One WyoOtto / Expedition One Rear w/Tire carrier
#5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

No, my mistake if I makes it sound like that, constant will go directly from the battery through the fuse to the panel, the switched will go through the relay with a signal wire from the ignition.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
DanMan90 previously said: View Post
No, my mistake if I makes it sound like that, constant will go directly from the battery through the fuse to the panel, the switched will go through the relay with a signal wire from the ignition.
Got ...that's what I thought you were doing, but got thrown off a bit on wording. Good luck!

2012 Metallic 4WD AT.
BozTec Diff Skid / BozTec Antenna Mount / Cobra 75WX w/ Firestik Firefly / Firestik FM Antenna Mod (Thanks Nestah!) / Ricochet HD Skids / Radflo Coilover's, Radflo Rear Springs & Shocks / Total Chaos UCA's / Superwinch Talon 9.5 (Need to install) / 17" XD Misfits / 285/70/17 Goodyear MTR's / Expedition One WyoOtto / Expedition One Rear w/Tire carrier
#7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thanks!
#8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Didn't get to any wiring because I couldn't find my darn solder! Here's a pic of the bracket tho.

Decided I may keep the ground plane on the circuit board and modify it slightly differently than usual. I want it to accept 2 different power circuits, one constant and one switched while leaving access to a solid ground connection.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

I'm going to try to do the exact same thing with a Blue Sea Systems box. Two "hot" feeds and a common ground bus

2012 Metallic 4WD AT.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

I think I figured out how to do it. I'll post a pic tomorrow. By "hot" do you mean constant power from the battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.