Roof mounted CB install - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Regreb
(Thread Starter)
Roof mounted CB install

I haven't see this done on this forum yet so I figured I'd give it a shot. I thought that it would be about the best place for the FJ. Others asked if there was anything to mount to and no one could answer or knew for sure. Well the answer is nothing to mount to. I pulled the head liner down and saw the roof sheet metal where I wanted to mount it. I didn't think to take any pictures of the job wile I was doing it, probably because I was so excited to get it done. I thought of a few different ways to make a mount involving some sheet metal and some tack welding but was worried about messing the paint up on the roof. Then thought about bonding a bracket up there. Wile I was trying to figure the spacing from the roof to the head liner, I found that a piece of 2x4 was perfect. So instead of making something I figured I just bond the 2x4 up there and screw the CB mount to it. Works like a champ so far. I've used Gorilla Glue in the past on some funky materials like stone and uneven plastics and it holds very well. It foams and expands as it dries. I cut a piece of 1x to wedge between the center console and the 2x4 that was being bonded. I left it that way over night but the directions say 3-4 hours. I also found that a trunk mount works perfect for the antenna. I used a Wilson 1000 for the job. I've used these antennas on many vehicles, and they perform wonderful. Your CB is only as good as your antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 024.jpg
Views:	1244
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	8888  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Roof mounted CB install

So, how big of a gap is there between the headliner and the roof....you said a 2x4 was used, so does that mean the gap is 2"?

Thanks in advance.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 10:33 AM

(Thread Starter)

1.5 inches. The headliner flex makes it forgiving if your a little off. 2x4s are typically 1.5 inches. I wouldn't make it any thicker or it might bulge some.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Putts255

Nice post. I like the trunk mount idea for the antennae too. I yanked my old CB out of the Van before it was sold so will have to find a place and a new antenna. Gives me more fuel to do some more stuff come spring time.

Thanks for the post.

Black Diamond, 6MT, Full Load
Stock except hitch and harness
Black Ellis Battery Clamp
Custom LED Overhead light
Wet Okole Seat Covers....
LED Accent Lights
Scan Gauge II
#5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Forum Veteran

Nice job. Great installation. Did the antenna cable run from the back door to the front through the head liner, or is it round about and up the A pillar?

We're now a two FJ family
Black Diamond and Black Cherry
#6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Forum Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Regreb previously said: View Post
1.5 inches. The headliner flex makes it forgiving if your a little off. 2x4s are typically 1.5 inches. I wouldn't make it any thicker or it might bulge some.
Cool, I was thinking of using the headliner center console out of the new Tundra....it looks like it might work, I just need to get my hands on one and check out the mounting. It has a couple of pockets and the all important map lights. BTW, I mounted my CB the the back of the center console between the front seats...it was thin enough to not interfere with the rear seats when folded down. I like your mounting location though, very nice!
#7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Forum Veteran

Nice job... Gives me a few ideas
#8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 02:22 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
bncsauve previously said: View Post
Nice job. Great installation. Did the antenna cable run from the back door to the front through the head liner, or is it round about and up the A pillar?
The cable had to go through the head liner. The antenna came with 18 foot of cable and there wasn't enough to go under the door sill and back up the A-pillllar. There was only a few inches of cable to spare with it above the head liner. I think it was a little easer that way since I had to take the head liner loose anyway.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Forum Veteran

Nice install. How do you remove the headliner?
#10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 PM

HI,
Very nice job on the install, I like being able to see the unit, and controlls. Just a question about the 1" x 1" spacer, I don't get where it sits exactly, and what it is doing. Is it tilting the 2x4? or did you take it out after using it as a brace for better contact patch. Sorry for my ignorance.

The Bear

I don't Do Mornings;
So Don't Poke the Bear!!!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.