Main Fuse Blown- How to Change? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 10404
Send a message via AIM to chitown4x4
Main Fuse Blown- How to Change?

I blew the main 120 doing something stupid I won't mention (really just a slip of the hand) But anyway, I bought a new main fuse and it is a bolt in fuse.

How do you get to the underside of the fuse panel next to the battery under the hood to undo the bolt to replace the fuse? I think there are some clips but have no idea how they come out.

The whole fuse box unbolts, but it is sealed so the access must be from the top some how.

Please help. I have a very expensive paperweight right now!

Joe

"KEEP THE FAITH AND LIVE THE DREAM"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 3435
Re: Main Fuse Blown- How to Change?

the 120 amp ALT fuse pulls straight out the top, it is not bolted in
BC MT6, Pkg2, KOs, rack, rails, Warn clevis hitch, tungsten Abrams shifter, I-Way, Baja 480C, 300W maplight, aux backuplights, aux battery w/ separate house power incl 3 12 v sockets, gerrycan rack, 3 OD Scepter MFCs, 2 black Scepter MWCs, 1500 inverter, dead buzzers/DRL, 1 kilowatt incandescent camp light, Iridium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Master

Well I guess it is not the same one then. This fuse is in the main fuse box next to the battery and is tan with 120 on top of it and I can see the bolt under it. It is the big one close to the bolt on terminal where the wire from the battery connects up to the fuse box.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Master

well ok we are looking at the same fuse but I cannot see a bolt holding it in there. WHere is this bolt visible??

I have a replacement 120 A spare which I got in case it blows. I see that it has a hole in each big prong.

On the other hand I cannot actually pull it out the top either, to be perfectly honest. I assumed there were huge pincers in there to grab hold of the prongs, similar to a high current household dryer plug, and that it would pull up out. I tried the 80 amp heater fuse and cannot pull it out either, nor the 80 amp inverter fuse.

I cannot imagine that they would construct a fuse box that has to be taken apart to remove a fuse. I have checked the manuals and find nothing about taking apart the fuse box to get at these fuses.

Can you get a picture of this bolt you see holding that MF in there??

edit

ok .. i went to a fuse manufactuer and found this page http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...AD8052+M37+ENG

SO apparantly the idea of a fuse you have to bolt in is not outrageous afterall.

Now the replacement fuse I have has prongs which stick out parallel to one another, straight. Do you have to insert the fuse and bend over the tabs and bolt them down>?

If so that means thefusebox has to be taken apart. My guess is take off the bolt holding battery cable and with luck it will be able to be hinged open some how, exposing the underside of the fuse tray.
BC MT6, Pkg2, KOs, rack, rails, Warn clevis hitch, tungsten Abrams shifter, I-Way, Baja 480C, 300W maplight, aux backuplights, aux battery w/ separate house power incl 3 12 v sockets, gerrycan rack, 3 OD Scepter MFCs, 2 black Scepter MWCs, 1500 inverter, dead buzzers/DRL, 1 kilowatt incandescent camp light, Iridium

Last edited by White Rim; 07-22-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Master

That is where Im at right now.... Im going to ask a toyota tech today to see where I go from here, I really thank you for your help though and you looking at this for me.

When my fuse blew I tried to pull it out and the plastic body of the fuse pulled out but the prongs were left in the box, (this is why I can see the bolt) Normally you can't see the bolt if the intact fuse is still in place.

Thanks for your help again. Ill let ya know how it goes and then post a how to on it!

Joe

Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 8126
Lifetime Supporting Member

When you talk to the tech see if you can get the part in the manual he is looking at. I looked all through what I have and I can't find anything on the fuse box under the hood. Not that is isn't there but there is a lot of data to go through and I don't have an index of any real worth.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Master

Will do.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Master

OK this question was irritating me enough to call the technician for an answer. Indeed small 8 mm bolts hold these fuses in, and indeed the fuse box has to be partly taken apart to get at these connections. He said to detach the fuse box from the fender well and to the extent possible twist it to be able to access the claws or clips which hold the bottom of the fuse box onto the fuse block and separate the box into 2 pieces to access these bolted fuse connections.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Master

Yea...

I saw the drawn out scamatic (sp) today at the dealer--- it did not help at all but at least I know that the part is supposed to come apart so I can get to them! I am going to become more forceful tonight with the entire assembly knowing that it is supposed to come apart and see where that gets me.. If it breaks some parts them im going to just ***** to the dealer and have them replace it and tell them it is cheaper than the tow would have been for them to do it!

Im leaving town tomorrow So if i don't get to it ill report back here when I do!

joe

Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Master

AND THE ANSWER IS!!!
Drum roll please..........

Bring it in to the dealer... we will have to do this for you! OMG!!

So I went to a dealer today to see how this was done went right home and tried it.. Could not get anything to budge... so went back to a different dealer by my house after work and made them show me on an FJ in the lot.... the service tech could not get into the dam thing to show me. he looked perplexed for sure. So I bent the old tabs of the fuses together and will drop off my truck to them on friday when I get back in town. This is going to make me miss the big meet at the cliffs on Saturday if they di&k with it too long. So the concensus is that even a blown fuse we have to take the fj in to have it fixed!! :-(

I am going to bring a camera and watch them fix it when I bring it in..... the dam thing is bomb proof!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.