Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Straight swap for orginal Toyota Radio /CD - Suggestions please

8K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  vstrulev 
#1 ·
Hi there,
I would really like to change my Radio that came with the 2014 FJ which is awful. I'm looking for a Radio/CD/MP3 player with Bluetooth and if possible SatNav although thats not vital.
I also need the steering wheel controls to work as they do now.

Can anyone recommend me a unit that will be almost a straight swap plug and play unit. I'm sure there is a favourite for the FJ cruiseing community but a search through the threads has me confused (which is not hard ;-) ).

Many thanks in advance,

regards

AndyT:smile

#2 ·
I scored a killer flat touch screen of ebay for $500. Go to any place (ebay/Amazon) and enter <double din / FJ Cruiser / stereo / plug-n-play> and you will be on the right track

#3 · (Edited)
Both these head-unit are less than 150.00 to 200.00 and have everything you need except nav, if you do a double din your looking at 500.00 or more for a decent head-unit? the Alpine is 4 volt preouts and the Clairion is 5 volt preouts and both are a high quality SQ deck you would have to spend at least 600.00 or more to get this with a double din

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-CDE-HD148BT-Receiver-built-Bluetooth/dp/B00CF5I0LY

http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CZ702-Vehicle-Digital-Receiver/dp/B006WVXA0I

#4 ·
I'm willing to pay a bit more for a good plug and play unit, my eyes are getting tired as I get older so a double Din would be the way forward.

The Kenwoods and Pioneer units seem pretty popular on here but all seem to have teething issues with the steering wheel controls.

I think I have my Holiday Monday sorted :)

#6 ·
#14 ·
Just been checking on Amazon and they have the AVH-X5600BHS at $346 and the AVIC-5000NEX (with Navigation) at $552...
I'm going to order one next week as I'm off to Germany on Thursday afternoon for a weekend of Beer and festivities and I don't want it delivered whilst I'm away.... looks like I may be dusting off my screwdriver set soon ;-)

#8 ·
#10 ·
My steering wheel controls work and I have Navigation. :D

I have a good friend that spent $900 on an Alpine from Best Buy and he was pissed with the cheesy fit in the dash and it lacked a few features mine has. Most prevalent was his was not "Plug-n-Play"

#11 ·
I have a good friend that spent $900 on an Alpine from Best Buy and he was pissed with the cheesy fit in the dash and it lacked a few features mine has. Most prevalent was his was not "Plug-n-Play"
That is because Best Buys are idiots and probably didn't get it installed right (not using the right dashkit), that's about the last place i would have anything installed my Alpine INE-W927HD fits great in mine

#17 ·
I would call the folks at Crutchfield to help guide you through the process. For instance, if you have the JBL radio and/or steering wheel controls, you need to purchase a separate module(s) to get it to work properly. Sure, you may pay a little more buying through them, but you will get the right parts, installation guides, and customer service that you won't get through Amazon or eBay. And Crutchfield has great deals on refurbished units. I have used them on my last 3 aftermarket installs, both refurbs and Crutchfield, and have not been disappointed. And on a personal note, go with a Kenwood Excelon unit. It not only has arguably the best specs and user interface, but the nav system uses Garmin software.

#18 ·
Crutchfield is a great resource. Highly recommended.

They have very knowledgeable staff and great install guides and can tell you what will work and what won't. As mentioned earlier, the only real difference you need to be aware of is whether or not you have the JBL system.

I just installed a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX and bought everything except the head unit through Crutchfield (speakers, wiring harnesses, steering wheel controls, speaker mounts, etc.).

I got the Metra dash kit and the fit looks factory.

The Axxess ASWC-1 unit self-programs once installed to learn your vehicle. Mine benefitted from some manual programming, but the instructions are straightforward and it's done easily.

I also recommend this as an easy way to keep your AUX/USB functions:

Axxess AX-USB-35EXT USB + 3.5 Waterproof Cable w/ Covered Panel

It requires a bit of trimming to fit the origial slot, but nothing 120-220 grit sandpaper can't handle with about 15 mins of effort.

If you're not comfortable doing it all yourself I'm sure you could get some recommendations for good local installers, but the chain stores (Best Buy, etc.) will generally not leave you satisfied.

#21 ·
#25 ·
The best idea is to go to Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras ; enter model of your car; the site will show all compatible units; if you buy stereo for, I believe, $150 and higher, all conversion hardware/harness/adaptors/and detailed instruction will be included for free. I've bought Pioneer FH-X700BT and I really like it. I was thinking about all other options, but decided to try this and it's all I need. Has a very good working blue tooth; plays from usb drive; and many many more options. And this is Pioneer and they know how to make stereo systems.

#26 · (Edited)
This one looks pretty interesting and the price is right. Where did you mount the external mic for bluetooth calls? Is there a similar head unit that has a built in mic?

Any drawbacks to this unit? Any pics of it installed? From reading reviews on Amazon, sounds like some complaints about the brightness, but sounds like there is a less than intuitive way to dim it.

I'm interested in something like this for my 2007 FJ, to be able to gain bluetooth. I don't have steering wheel audio controls, so one of my concerns would be the interface being overly complicated.

My general use pattern is bluetooth stream Pandora from a Windows phone, possibly playing some music stored on the phone, an bluetooth calling. Currently having to plug the phone into the Aux connection each time in and out of the car is tedious after having bluetooth in another vehicle. I'd probably just get a bluetooth adapter and plug it into the Aux connection, but seems most have bad reviews, and require re-pairing alot, which defeats the purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.