Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Need help with battery choice's

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  fj6high 
#1 ·
I installed a winch last week & now want to install a dual battery system, I know I don't "Need" dual battery's to run the winch, I've read a few of the older threads on the subject, I just want one. Also would like to upgrade the alternator. I'll be buying a "Kit" for the dual battery set up, have not decided what brand yet, but being a 2007 & still on the factory battery, I want to replace now before I run into problems. Now do I need a regular battery as the primary & deep cycle for the 2nd? I want a kit that keep the battery's separate, so as not to kill both at the same time. What's the difference between the Optima battery's? I've read alot of guy's buy the yellow top, is this a good primary or 2nd battery? I'm sure I sound like quite the dumba$$, but all the threads on this seemed to be from '06 & '07. I'm sure there are bettery answers out there now. BTW: other stuff running off current battery: 1-1500w amp, 2- 1000w amps, 6- KC 150w Daylighters, 1- set of 55w driving lights, 1- 9000lb winch (not sure of the draw at this moment), & 1- set of 55w rev. lights. Should I get 2 yellow top battery's, or 1 & something else? Tanx, M

#3 ·
FYI... the blue top Optima is a yellow top with the extra posts for accessories.
I have 2 of the blue tops... pretty happy with them so far.
:cheers:

#4 ·
I run way to many accessories to mention...everything...and I've killed the yellow top, the Blue top and several other Wally World batteries. Some will say you need this elaborate isolater charge system to keep your batteries maintained and charged and isolated. Just look at what your really getting and paying for with a dirty dual isolator kit....I've been down that road and realized that you don't need it and its not really worth the money. I now run two Deep cycle Duracell AGM SL34 batteries In PARALLEL with just a simple Cheap 200 amp switch. I can run down one battery or both at the same time and charge them together from the Alt. I bought these batteries as a matching set and they have the same born on date. Fj doesn't need a separate starting battery...I have run deep cycle batteries in every car and truck that I have owned as the primary for 30 years without issue. Besides the fact that deep cycle can be brought down and charged with double the cycle life

If I could afford two Odessey 2130 batteries I would...but two of the Sams AGM that I purchased for $260 out the door is a bargain. They will easily last 4yrs without issue.

If I want to isolate the batteries I just open the switch and run either battery independently no big deal....and save some big $$$.

Reactions: Winterpeg
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.