Subwoofer comparison - Focal 27KX vs JL 12w7 - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Subwoofer comparison - Focal 27KX vs JL 12w7

I love the completely biased response to this question. Sorry to jump in here, but i install professionally and have done so for over 10 years and i can tell you from having had MANY subs in my own vehicle that you are 10000% wrong about the W7. First off, the W7 is not a power-hungry sub. You only need 500 CLEAN watts to run either a 10 or 12W7. Tuned properly and safely you can move to about 750 watts for the 12 but no more really.
AND for the moron who said a W7 sounds like $hit in sealed box has apparently NEVER heard one installed in a correctly designed and tuned sealed box. They are very precise when tuned right and when NOT over-powered. BUT they can also blow your mind with their bottom end when desired. While i'm by no means saying they are the "best" woofer out there, i would not write it off. Also as for being over priced, you'd be hard pressed to find a dealer selling the 10 for over $449 any more and for a top of the line sub, that's quite a deal for a high end up. The Focal 27KX is a $900 woofer and good like trying to get that to play low low end like a W7 if you want it to cuz it's not going to happen. Yeah we sell those too so i'm not just basing my opinion off of hearing 1 in some guys car.
People really should get their facts straight before running their mouth about stuff they have no firsthand knowledge of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
MConsoliA4 previously said: View Post
I love the completely biased response to this question. Sorry to jump in here, but i install professionally and have done so for over 10 years and i can tell you from having had MANY subs in my own vehicle that you are 10000% wrong about the W7. First off, the W7 is not a power-hungry sub. You only need 500 CLEAN watts to run either a 10 or 12W7. Tuned properly and safely you can move to about 750 watts for the 12 but no more really.
AND for the moron who said a W7 sounds like $hit in sealed box has apparently NEVER heard one installed in a correctly designed and tuned sealed box. They are very precise when tuned right and when NOT over-powered. BUT they can also blow your mind with their bottom end when desired. While i'm by no means saying they are the "best" woofer out there, i would not write it off. Also as for being over priced, you'd be hard pressed to find a dealer selling the 10 for over $449 any more and for a top of the line sub, that's quite a deal for a high end up. The Focal 27KX is a $900 woofer and good like trying to get that to play low low end like a W7 if you want it to cuz it's not going to happen. Yeah we sell those too so i'm not just basing my opinion off of hearing 1 in some guys car.
People really should get their facts straight before running their mouth about stuff they have no firsthand knowledge of.
yea, i surely have no firsthand knowledge of car audio gear or installations. coming from a guy who ran a lot of JL gear. i now own none of their products because they are mediocre at best. reliable, but performance wise i like to get a little more for my money.
#33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
ND40oz previously said: View Post
Why do you find it necessary to personally attack people? Now I'm a JL fanboy because I own a W7? In my personal experience, the W7 sounds great in a sealed box. In your experience, you dislike JL and they're over priced. That's great, but we're each entitled to our own opinions and you don't have to resort to name calling when someone disagrees with you. The OP asked peoples opinions and I was giving mine.

If you're going to make statements that the W7 was designed for a ported enclosure, then expect people to question it when there is no company documentation of this. I get the fact that you're an installer and have alot of experience and you do a great job providing your knowledge to people on the board and we thank you for that.
the W7 is a woofer designed more towards SQL/SPL, which is more suited for a ported enclosure.
#34 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Briman42487 previously said: View Post
the W7 is a woofer designed more towards SQL/SPL, which is more suited for a ported enclosure.
if your specifically looking for sloppy sure, but sealed you can really see that this woofer was designed well. What in your opinion is a better "superwoofer" that does both well?
#35 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
MConsoliA4 previously said: View Post
if your specifically looking for sloppy sure, but sealed you can really see that this woofer was designed well. What in your opinion is a better "superwoofer" that does both well?
dd 3500, 9500, treo ssx, xxx, tdx/d9, alumapro, would you like me to go on? a properly designed ported enclosure doesnt sound sloppy at all with any of those mentioned woofers in it. people who cant properly design/build a ported box give them a bad rap.
#36 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

well, i guess i'm going to have to decide for myself as to which i prefer. i just picked up a used focal 27kx tonight. will find a box for it this week and see which i like better.
#37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 AM

(Thread Starter)

Briman, all of the crappy sounding JL's you've heard, what were crossover points set at for the subwoofer?
#38 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
rean1mator previously said: View Post
Briman, all of the crappy sounding JL's you've heard, what were crossover points set at for the subwoofer?
crossover points are decided by the install and rest of the stereo. there is no set crossover point for any given setup.
#39 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
rean1mator previously said: View Post
and i'm not saying is a super bad sounding woofer, but in no means does it sound anywhere near good. i have heard worse, but i have definitly head better and louder for a fraction of the price.
#40 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:53 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Briman42487 previously said: View Post
crossover points are decided by the install and rest of the stereo. there is no set crossover point for any given setup.
I've been tweaking/tuning the past couple of days and have ended up setting the crossover to the roll off point of my k2 components which is at 60HZ.

at this setting the w6's sound really good. i noticed that anything above 80hz makes the w6 sound muddy when driven too hard.

when forcing the w6's to handle too much of the frequency range is when the sound began to degrade. my current setup is producing some really really clean bass.

i'm assuming the w7 will behave similarly if tuned properly. based on the information given by another user that teh w7 woofer is the same as teh fathom this makes sense ast he fathom is a true sub bass woofer and is meant to be handling the lowest range of the frequencies(i think below 30-40hz). I'm quite happy with teh 12w6 once i figured out the proper setttings.

also, just mounted my focal and have connected it to my system. first impression, very responsive, tight, cohesive sounding bass that integrates extremely well with my k2 kps'. i've noticed that even when turning the bass level up it still sounds really good. definitely don't get the lower frequencies but this is a very good subwoofer that blends really well with the mid bass.

i'm torn between the two as they both do what they do really well.
i will probably end up keeping both and switch between the two depending on my mood.

here's a thought, would like some input:

would it be possible and feasible to add a 3rd subwoofer amp for the focal and split the sub signal from the head unit.
add a filter/capacitor at 45hz(roll off point of the focal) and cross it over at somewhere between 100-150hz(focal freq resp is flat to 200hz for the 27kx) so that it's handling the upper bass range.

and then let the jl take over from 45hz and below.

i think this proposed setup could sound really really good.

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.