Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Stereo upgrade question on my 2008 FJ...

9K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  ZoSoIV 
#1 ·
So I have had my FJ for a couple months and I LOVE the damn thing but of course the sound system sucks. I have decided to start piecing a sound system together and I am probably going with a Kenwood DDX372BT double DIN head unit.

In talking to the guy at my local shop he was very cool and honest. My original plan was to just get the Head unit and change the door/dash speakers. However, his recommendation was to do the head Unit, leave the stock speakers and add a 10" sub and an amp. He said it would sound great but I am not convinced with how well the stock speakers will perform.

Which way would you guys go? Do the stock speakers sound better with an aftermarket head unit? I guess it COULD work if the sub is handling all the bass duties....:grin

#3 ·
Hahaha...well I should have said I told him I was on a pretty strict budget....this is a good shop. :)

I guess my question is, is there a big improvement over stock with just a head unit and doing the door/dash speakers (no amp)? I can add a sub later I think.....

#4 ·
I replaced the stock deck after a year and a half or so. I ran the stock speakers for about 3 weeks before replacing them. My suggestion:

-6 3/4" components in the front door(mount the tweeter either in the dash or cut a hole in the door.
-Component set either in the rear seat area if you are bold enough to cut into the panel OR run a good quality 4-5" speaker in the rear cargo area.
-but a good 5 channel amp and hook all of these speakers up through the amp and connect nothing through the factory wiring.

Reason for this is I ran components in the back seat area and they are awesome. The issue is that the front doors have Alpine 6x9's and they are great but the high signal is too low in the front area that it sounds like all vocal comes from the rear. I have replaced the front dash speakers but they run off the deck power and are way too low in volume to even make a difference. If you pay for the 5 channel amp up front then you can power the 2 sets of speakers and have room to add the sub at a later time. Plus if you spend the money on the mids, depending on what you listen to, you may opt out of the subwoofer all together.

Just my .02 cents take it for what its worth.

#6 ·
Stock speakers are the weakest point in the system. They would be the first thing to go for me (and they were).

If you're on a strict budget, replace the speakers with some 6x9s of your choice and the head unit of your choice, all the while keeping an eye on being able to integrate future upgrades without having to replace what you just installed.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input.....Kind of the direction I was leaning towards. Now one other question....would it be better to just put some component speakers in with the tweeters in the dash or do 6x9's in the doors and some good 3.5" two ways in the dash? :grin

#7 ·
The magnets on stock door speakers are no bigger than the cap off a 2 liter bottle. They are complete and absolute GARBAGE! The dash speakers are actually a little better. Still, I would replace them.

My suggestion: Get a decent 5 channel amp. (I've seen some great amps at very reasonable prices suggested in other threads around here). Get some NICE component speakers for the front door and dash. Then add a box and a 10" sub in the back when your budget allows.

Spend your money where it counts and be sure to get good speakers that sound awesome. If you go with component speakers (and you should) then you'll need an amp to push them. The head unit should be replaced for optimum sound, but if you're on a budget then the stock stereo isn't bad if you amp it correctly.

It just depends on how much you want to spend?

PS. In the stock system, there is an "exciter" speaker hidden behind the headliner, directly over the driver's seat. Access to the wiring is behind the kick panel, be sure to cut that speaker.

Reactions: CRFan1
#9 ·
The stock stereo only puts out like 12 watts or something teeny. Not enough to push component speakers ... or any speakers really. Unless you just want to drop in some 6x9 and run them at 12 watts ea you'll need an amp.

A new head unit will pump out about 22 watts rms. That's still not a lot more, but it's almost double the stock head unit. Still not enough to push component speakers IMO. A decent amp will be about 40-70 watts per, plus another 400 for the subwoofer later. That leaves you room to grow!

First thing: remove all stock speakers and throw them away! The cheapest speakers at Walmart are better stock FJ speakers.

#10 ·
I agree with Smoking_Rubber here. You are better replacing the HU and the stock speakers all at once. Take your time and put your money into the HU first and foremost. A set of reasonably priced coaxials in the factory spots will be a definite upgrade with a new HU. It gets even better with some middle pack speakers and an amp. Keep all of your factory items though as you may want to return to it one day or, weirdly enough, people actually buy it. Run new speaker wire to each location for a couple of reasons. 1. Its probably better than factory, and 2. you can leave the factory harness alone with regard to hooking up the aftermarket speakers.

#11 ·
Unless the stereo is super old and without Bluetooth, I'd worry about the HU last. If you change the stereo you'll have to run a new Bluetooth mic and you'll need the adapter to tap into the steering wheel controls.

If you already have Bluetooth, then I'd slap an amp in there and go speaker shopping.

If your stock stereo doesn't have Bluetooth then it's time to upgrade.

I have a Kenwood DDX790. I love it!!!!!! Here's one on ebay for $300
Kenwood DDX790 Excelon 2 DIN 7" Multimedia DVD Receiver with Bluetooth Sirius | eBay

#12 ·
Thanks for all the great Input guys...it is appreciated. I am without question getting a new Head unit (as mentioned in my OP) as the stock unit has no Bluetooth and I have no steering wheel controls (base FJ).

At this point I have pretty much decided that I am getting the head Unit (Kenwood DDX372BT) and some Component speakers in the doors with a 5 channel amp. I might be able to budget for a sub and than call it a day....but worse case I can add the sub later too :smile

Do you think just having the components up front and a sub will sound good?

#14 ·
Solid decision! Bluetooth is mandatory. Good HU.

Just components up front and a sub in the back would sound excellent. I have some 4" 2-way speakers in the rear pillars. They add a little to the overall balance at low-moderate volumes but completely disappear when the volume goes up. They are definitely worth the $80 I paid, but I would say you could easily add them later if you had the 5 channel amp in place.

#15 ·
So technically if I like my stock hu in the '14 and don't feel like losing the steering wheel controls can I just buy the amp and run all the speakers off that and hook It to the hu

#17 ·
Yes. Some amps handle low line-input levels better than others though. For best sound (with stock hu) you should add a pre-amp. There is another thread here with great suggestions and links I'll look for it.

Side note: With almost any aftermarket stereo you'd only lose the Call Pick/Hang buttons. You'd still have full control of mode/volume/channel with a standard adapter. Losing the telephone buttons is really no big deal as long as you can keep the stereo controls IMO.

#18 ·
If you want to keep the stock head unit (pointless with the FJammer, as it has no Bluetooth) and use an amp, you need one of these two items:

• Amp with speaker-level input, like a JL XD700/5v2, or
  • a line output converter, like an AudioControl LC6i

Otherwise, make sure you choose a head unit with preamp-out capability to send its signal to the amp.

#19 ·
with 2 way component speakers and sub all you need is a 3 channel (JL 500/3) amp not a 5 channel , 6-1/2s in the doors and tweeters in the dash and a 10" W3 in a seal box , (you don't need back speakers with a good strong front stage) now lets talk brand of components, what do you want to spend? you will need to sound deaden the front doors, back hatch etc also

#21 ·
Cool I plan on using the stock hu and replacing the dash and rear speakers with little 3.5. Then probably 6x9 in the front doors and maybe the 6.5 that fit in the back seat and keep the stock sub housing and put a new little one in it. Not sure what amp yet. But in my last fj I had pioneer speakers hu and amp and I liked them

#22 · (Edited)
CRFan1

i like the Focal or the Hertz , some of both

these are super nice , great quality build

http://www.amazon.com/Focal-165-VB/...-3&keywords=focal+VB+2+way+component+speakers

Hertz, may be a little more than you want to spend, but killer components

http://www.amazon.com/HSK-165-4-Her...r=8-8&keywords=Hertz+2+way+component+speakers

the JL XD 500/3 will run either and as said ONE 10" JL W3 in a sealed box is all you need, the head-unit you picked out is fine , and i have a guy here on the forum that can make you a killer fiberglass box if your in need of that , Golf Echo , PM me for more details

#23 ·
CRFan1

i like the Focal or the Hertz , some of both

these are super nice , great quality build

Amazon.com : Focal 165 VB : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

Hertz, may be a little more than you want to spend, but killer components

Amazon.com : HSK-165.4 - Hertz 6.5" 250W Peak 2-Way Component Speaker System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics

the JL XD 500/3 will run either and as said ONE 10" JL W3 in a sealed box is all you need, the head-unit you picked out is fine , and i have a guy here on the forum that can make you a killer fiberglass box if your in need of that , Golf Echo , PM me for more details
Thanks for info! I will let you know on the sub....

#24 · (Edited)
CRFan1

I looked over the Infinity 2 way components and I'm NOT impressed with the build quality of them i think i would steer clear for that brand , another option is "Image Dynamics" there less than the Focals and Hertz and great build quality .

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6201-ctx65cs-image-dynamics-65-component-speaker-system.aspx

CTX65CS Image Dynamics 6 5" Pro Component Speakers Mids Crossovers Tweeters New | eBay

here is an idea of what a sub box (from Golf Echo) will look like from another system i put together recently

#25 ·
CRFan1

I looked over the Infinity 2 way components and I'm NOT impressed with the build quality of them i think i would steer clear for that brand , another option is "Image Dynamics" there less than the Focals and Hertz and great build quality .

WoofersEtc.com - CTX65CS - Image Dynamics 6.5" Component Speaker System

CTX65CS Image Dynamics 6 5" Pro Component Speakers Mids Crossovers Tweeters New | eBay

here is an idea of what a sub box (from Golf Echo) will look like from another system i put together recently
Thanks for all this great info. I am leaning toward the Focals. I am putting a list together for when I meet with the shop on Friday :)

That sub box looks great! How does it mount and any idea on cost? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.