Great upgrade to 2014 TTUE Stereo Head Unit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to dscotty
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Great upgrade to 2014 TTUE Stereo Head Unit

I don't often post my mods, but when I do, I prefer to make them interesting. The truth is, I don't do many modifications because I find the 2014 TTUE to be quite adequate right out of the box. Moreover, I often get ideas from this FJC forum and posting would be duplication. However, the one glaring issue I have always had with my FJC is the crappy gas mileage and associated accuracy of the gas gauge. I kept asking myself, "why the hell couldn't Toyota just put in on-screen gauges just like in my wife's Acura?". I am happy to report that I have just had my factory stereo head unit upgraded and I thought is was time to become more of a giver than a taker. After some research, I settled on the Kenwood DDX 573 BH. It is not the flagship Exelon stereo from Kenwood, but it is a middle range model that has a lot of nice features that complement the FJC very nicely. More importantly, I got a screaming deal at about 1/3 the price of the higher end models. I had considered getting an android stereo and even had ordered and received a Pioneer mid range model, but sent it back after a little more research. The selling point of this particular Kenwood are the onscreen OBD2 gauges that show %fuel remaining and tire pressure and temperature. An added bonus is two additional camera inputs controlled by an OEM style switch for rock crawling and trailer towing. Another bonus is a semi-customizable screen that lets you see the time even if the sun is out. Although I am still learning all the features and am by no means an audiophile, IMHO, you would be hard pressed to find a tool that better complements your FJC than this Kenwood, at least at that price point. See pics below if I can get them to post.

Last edited by dscotty; 05-13-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Add photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Re: Great upgrade to 2014 TTUE Stereo Head Unit

Here are the pics. I can give more info on install if needed. It took some pushing and calls to Idata Maestro to get it all working together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom head big sur close up.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	718146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom screen.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	718154   Click image for larger version

Name:	front cam.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	718162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire pressure and door open.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	718170  
monflores11 and WebSnyper like this.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Nice. I assumed the gauge is more accurate now? Would be interested in sharing your install. I've got a 2014 TTUE as well.
dscotty likes this.

a.k.a. Monching
w/ Lakandula (2014 TTUE)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
We shall see about accuracy, because I have not refueled yet. It does not give gallons remaining but %. I had hoped to get mpg data, but no luck yet. I did plug in an OBD 2 bluetooth module that reads on my phone through the torque app, but I didn't really get much from that other than confirming I get 13 mpg in traffic and over 20 mpg on the freeway. I average 17 overall, but I knew that using my stubby pencil. I can post install details later. It was not as easy as it should have been knowing what I now know.

Last edited by dscotty; 05-15-2016 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Quote:
dscotty previously said: View Post
We shall see about accuracy, because I have not refueled yet. It does not give gallons remaining but %. I had hoped to get mpg data, but no luck yet. I did plug in an OBD 2 bluetooth module that reads on my phone through the totque app, but I didn't really get much from that other than confirming I get 13 mpg in traffic and over 20 mpg on the freeway. I average 17 overall, but I knew that using my stubby pencil. I can post install details later. It was not as easy as it should have been knowing what I now know.
Nice. I'd like to see the install too when you get around to it. I've always shied away from upgrading that Toyota "radio" in the FJ since it seemed pretty complicated and I'm no electronic whiz.
dscotty likes this.

Don
2012 Trail Teams Icon Stage 1 suspension, GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs 285x75Rx16, MetalTech lower links, MetalTech 2 Stage sliders, ARB Bull Bar, Warn XD9000 winch, PIAA 510 driving lights, ARB Touring roof rack, ARB awning, Tuffy console, Cobra 29WXNWST CB

Wolverine Build
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
To be clear, I went to Crutchfield.com, told them what I wanted to do, and they told me what to get. They had the best part prices even though I had already purchased the Kenwood online elsewhere. If you buy the head unit from them at their price, they give you even better prices on install kits, etc.. Once I had all my junk in one bag so to speak, I recognized my limitations pretty quickly and took it to an installer, paid him $450 up front to do the head unit install, run two cameras, install a camera switch, install the steering wheel controls and OBD 2 along with the Idatalink Maestro and TO1 harness and to reprogram (flash) and everything 4 times until it worked with all advertised features. My part was basically getting the required parts and then coordinating with iDatalink, Kenwood, and Toyota to ensure my installer was doing all that could be done to get it to work. The iDATALINK engineer had to push out a firmware update and do other tweeks when I insisted that they try again because all the above manufacturers claimed it should work. It took 4 trips to get it right, but my installer did not charge a penny more. I can't personally recommend it as a DIY project even though others have said it is plug and play. When all was completed, I was in about $1k deep total, but that included the Kenwood (250), two Boyo LED cameras (75 each), the Cadillac of idatalink maestro and TO1 harnesses (150), camera/LED switch (25), Sirius XM module (65 rebate), Kenwood AV cables (25), and all labor. That is about the cost of a stand alone high end Kenwood, Alpine, or Pioneer head unit. I am glad I went this route given the issues that arose.
Texagon, elmystico and Hendrik470 like this.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
I forgot to mention, get the metra 95-8202 double din kit instead of another brand. All reviews and my installer confirmed it was a better fit. Also, the iDatalink Maestro TO1 harness (HRN-RR-TO1)is hard to find, so order it first. The idatalink maestro Rr interface is the priciest part. Go to their website if you want to check compatibility with another model of head unit. Be sure to look at the matrix where gauge options are included. Few head units in this price range can do it. Good luck. I will update as I learn more about the awesome features!
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage

good to hear the idatalink is finally working with your kenwood. The screen with TPMS, voltage, engine codes, etc is a nice to have feature in a HU.

I'm still in-process of doing same thing but pioneer AVIC-7200EX. So far my radio installer has applied at least half dozen FW fixes from maestro over past couple of weeks to no avail. Only thing working so far is the door indicator, which I really don't care about. I'm hoping combined with your R&D effort that the FJ FW is finally working.
dscotty likes this.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
My installer was hesitant to call idata link for help, so I called them directly using my unit I.D. # and finally got them talking. It took three Uninstalls and four attempts at flashing the module. They finally pushed a firmware update and some other fixes from their engineers and it suddenly started working on this final attempt. It's a cool feature. The fuel % is sensitive to sloshing of the gas, so best reading seems to be level ground of course. Good Luck.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
BTW, the door indicator was the only thing that worked on my first flash too! At that point, my installer chose every possible option and then idata link eventually came through.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.