Wrecked the OEM backup camera. Help - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sanderhawk
  • 1 Post By Sanderhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wrecked the OEM backup camera. Help

So, I was tinkering with the OEM backup camera today, because the lower image cutting out was bothering me a lot. Took off the spare tire, and was attempting to remove the camera, so I could reposition it somewhat more favorably.
Well, the bolt holding the camera in place had rusted over and was difficult to remove. As I was using the drill to remove the bolts, the rust came apart, and all of a sudden the bolt came out and then the plate.
This resulted in the drill twisting the camera with its base plate around the wire.
Since then I havent been able to get the reverse camera to work. Likely during the twisting motion, the wires broke, or a connection came undone. Nothing is obvious to visual inspection. Tried to play around with the wires and nothing happened.
At worst, the camera may have been damaged by the vibration generated.
Any pointers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Wrecked the OEM backup camera. Help

While sitting in the drivers seat put the FJ in reverse look at your right side mirror and then look at your left side mirror if they are both clear proceed to backing up. ......back up cameras are over rated
thane and jamesepoop like this.

Steve 07 FJ with almost enough mods
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 118 Post(s)

sure, and if you hear a noise that was your kid you just backed over

Back up cameras are over rated by those who don't have little ones doing unpredictable things around their vehicles.

OP: it sounds like you need to replace your camera. You might get lucky and be able to open up the camera housing and re-connect the broken wires but since it is located outside the vehicle in a wet area I bet the housing is "potted" (filled with a hot melt material which hermetically seals it and makes it almost impossible to service).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
sure, and if you hear a noise that was your kid you just backed over

Back up cameras are over rated by those who don't have little ones doing unpredictable things around their vehicles.

OP: it sounds like you need to replace your camera. You might get lucky and be able to open up the camera housing and re-connect the broken wires but since it is located outside the vehicle in a wet area I bet the housing is "potted" (filled with a hot melt material which hermetically seals it and makes it almost impossible to service).
Hey Norm

I have 3 kids. I also know how to back up a vehical with mirrors which apparently you don`t. Don`t be such a drama queen
jamesepoop likes this.

Steve 07 FJ with almost enough mods

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.