Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Best replacement for OEM sub

14K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Dissident 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I'm a new fj owner. 2008 TT. I have seen older discussions on the topic but was wondering if anyone was found a better replacement subwoofer that is compatible with the factory box and amps. I've seen the Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer mentioned in older posts. I don't know much about audio, so I can't find anything I know is better than stock. Any audio experienced people looked around lately?

Oh, also what is the best way to access this site by mobile?

#4 ·
the Kicker 8" shallow mount works too, personal experience, I put one in my stock '07 sub-box. I had to shave the speaker grille a tad to get it to fit, but it was stupid easy, you're mileage may vary.

Better than stock, but still not great like ZoSoIV said...

$149.99 - Crutchfield - Kicker CompRT 43CWRT81

#5 ·
yeah the problem you run into do you go cheap (25.00 dollars for the Dayton) via some improvment over stock or spend 150.00 on something better with a little gain ....IMO i would take that 149.00 and invest into a better overall setup over the stock system first replacing the factory headunit (4 volt preouts etc) then go from there replacing stock speakers adding a real sub and amps which you could do a little at a time

#8 ·
Go with a new touchscreen double din head unit. F the Jammer! The benefit is you can get a backup camera! That's a huge upgrade on a vehicle with limited visibility. The stock head unit is terrible and the stock speakers are even worse than that.

Here's a picture of the stock speakers. Notice the magnet is no bigger than a chapstick cap?

Please don't forget to slap on some dynamat while you have the doors open. You'll be very glad you spent the extra $40

Reactions: MiniTANK
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.