Is there a battery available now that works well? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is there a battery available now that works well?

I know the reverse polarity terminals really limit our options, but it seems like there should be one that works. I'm on my fourth Sears DieHard Gold in a little over three years. That battery is dead every single time I try to start my FJ. It sucks having to remove the battery and carry it up to my apartment to charge it every single time I need to drive. I've seen several recommendations for the Platinum one that is a real Odyssey, so it is not as horrific quality as the other Sears batteries, but it is no longer sold.

Been to Sears, Batteries Plus, several auto parts stores and several Interstate dealers, and they have no options other than the DieHard one that is just garbage.

It sucks that Toyota made the decision to screw us by being too cheap to put the negative terminal towards the center of the car. The Panasonic battery that came in it lasted seven years so it's just sad other makers can't make a batter that lasts more than a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Winter Admin

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Is there a battery available now that works well?

I jammed in a big blue top Optima with no issues and no need to change any battery cables.
It's great having 900 CCA.

EDIT: I've had this battery for almost 5 yrs... no issues. I do have the alternator modifier that gives me more volts and I top it off every once in a while with a decent trickle charger to make it smile
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120705-00044.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	847313  

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM

Last edited by Winterpeg; 03-10-2017 at 06:46 PM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:29 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I know of no good reason why four Sears Diehard Gold batteries would go bad in four years. Do you have a static drain when the ignition is off?

The reason I ask is that my son installed an amp for his subs and wired it directly to the battery so it was on even when the truck was parked. He had problems with terminal corrosion and dead batteries constantly! I checked it out and was like, uh, ... that ain't right!

Charlie
RomaBoy likes this.

Yes officer, I know I that smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

> big blue top Optima

I thought they were garbage since they moved production to Mexico. I had a yellow top in my FJ for about two months, and it failed pretty quickly. I couldn't get it to charge over 11.5V no matter what I tried including hitting it with a 180V capacitor and a 20 Amp charger which caused it to vent.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:05 PM
pop
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

You live in the United States ? Never a problem finding a battery. Most batteries have a reverse post mate. Like a 27 or a 27R. Look up BCI Group Numbers, Dimensional Specifications, Polarity & Terminals for batteries.
CurbCrawler likes this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jenjen previously said: View Post
> big blue top Optima

I thought they were garbage since they moved production to Mexico. I had a yellow top in my FJ for about two months, and it failed pretty quickly. I couldn't get it to charge over 11.5V no matter what I tried including hitting it with a 180V capacitor and a 20 Amp charger which caused it to vent.
Don't know about them being garbage unless they changed since 2013. Put a yellow top in mine in 2013 and have a very high draw compressor and winch. All is well 4 years later.
Irving Zisman likes this.

13' Cement TT / Titanium Muffler Bearings
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Winter Admin

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jenjen previously said: View Post
> big blue top Optima

I'm by no means an expert..... but I now have 2 of the same blue top Optimas in my FJ.... I also put another one in my mom's motorhome.

No issues.

As mentioned previously..... I would be taking a long hard look at your electrical system. To go through that many batteries, no matter the quality, is very unusual.... unless you are in Dubai where they chew through batteries every year due to the heat.
amaclach likes this.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Garage

As @Winterpeg mentioned it's all in the upkeep gentlemen. Should you choose the route of the big boys (AGM, GEL) be prepared to Mod your stock charging system or they WILL FAIL. AGM battery's cannot take a consistent low charge i.e. below 14.1 volts or they will degrade prematurely, do your homework first then make an informed purchase and install based on those parameters.

There are some really great threads here on the subject of proper charging and the mods required, make use of them.
Winterpeg and 10851 like this.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Garage

Put in a Duracell from SAMS 4 years ago when my Panasonic went & works great.

[SIGPIC]07 Sun fusion MT 887X OME Bilstein 5100 TRD short throw shifter Overhead console MOD TRD intake, ARB front & red eye rear bumpers Flow master CAT back EXH 9500 Engo Winch Demello Hybrid sliders Snorkel lefty T case
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:53 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to dscotty
Consider another OEM Toyota Battery. I got a new one underwarranty when my 30 month old went bad following one too many jump start assists. I don't know what they cost, but I was pleasantly suprised it was the same exact OEM model. Lots of posters on this forum have had good luck with it. I abused the original and accidently drained it all the way down several times. I've only had the new one a few weeks now, so take it for what it's worth. I'll be sure to go on a rant if it doesn't last at least 5 yrs as a daily driver.

Last edited by dscotty; 03-11-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.