Backup camera and receiver upgrade? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Backup camera and receiver upgrade?

I just got a 2007 6MT FJ, and want to put a backup camera in. I'd like to simultaneously upgrade the radio unit, and was looking for any suggestions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Re: Backup camera and receiver upgrade?

most modern Navi equipped head units also come with rear camera capability.

For instance, I just installed a Pioneer AVIC 8200 in my '08, and now have every modern convenience: navigation, hands free phone, bluetooth, 2 USB ports and rear camera. Also have SD card data capability, and DVD/movie, and many of the vehicle OBD-II data things are available to display on the navi screen (tire pressure, mpg, things like that).

It is a job to run the new wiring (camera wire to the back door, back up light wire and parking brake wire to the head unit), but none of it is hard, just time consuming (getting the camera wire through the door grommet took the longest, but after untaping it and pulling the washer hose out of the way it was easy to thread the new wire and connector through, and then put the hose back in and re-tape). The more interior trim you remove the easier it is to do, but all of that up front is super easy to do (drop the glove box, remove center console and RH kick panel & scuff plates).

You'll need something like an iDatalink HRN-RR-TO1 for connecting the head unit to the car (if you buy another brand of head unit the number will be different), and an iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR for the steering wheel controls. Both are easy to get through Crutchfield who also provides free technical support.

You will need a PC (not Apple) to program the Maestro, but I was able to get that done at a local Best Buy.

Now my 9 year old truck is just as "now" as any brand new vehicle is.

A handy way to upgrade your "in dash" Aux in (mini plug) to an Aux in (mini plug + USB), is with one of these:
Axxess AX-USB-35EXT
I got mine from Sonic Electronix for $12.

N

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thank you very much! I take it you're satisfied with it so far?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:36 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)

super satisfied

it did take a long time to learn how to use everything (because the new head unit is essentially a whole computer, there are a LOT of things to learn) - I took it in stages so I didn't get too frustrated all at once.

One down side of such a modern head unit is it takes longer to "power up" (re-boot after sitting) than an old, simple head unit. To help kill time during the boot-up they put the "push OK to signify you understand that you shouldn't play with the navigation system while driving" button.

Then the music starts back up.

BTW, the back up camera comes on immediately, right after start, and when shifted into reverse (even if the boot up is not yet completed), which is good.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just completed the same upgrade here. Hope this helps: GUIDE: Adding new Headunit, Carplay, and Backup Camera to 2007 FJ

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Tags
backup camera , radio , receiver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.