FJ jammer XM flashes " check Antenna" - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FJ jammer XM flashes " check Antenna"

So a couple of weeks ago I installed a 12v plug. I followed the instruction on one the threads on the forum. I tapped power from the hot wire to the back of the stock 12v plug. Everything works great with the plug but every since then the check antenna light comes on the Fjammer when I put it into XM mode.. I was wondering if anyone out there has had any problems like this..

I pulled everything apart today and it looked fine. The antenna is mounted in the center front of the roof and the wire is ran down the front rain gutter to the passenger side and then it ran all the way down the side of the passenger side.. it just kept going so I stopped looking at the back seat because I started to think that I was looking at the wrong wire.. So I am not sure if the wire is cut some where or if something else is wrong.... So any help on this would be great.... Thanks

Boss
==============
Mountain Transit Authority WWW.MTA4x4.com
http://norcalfjs.ning.com
TLCA # 16404
web_forest.gif
2007 FJC
1970 FJ40
1963 Plymouth Fury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned

Re: FJ jammer XM flashes " check Antenna"

Are you sure you didn't pinch the antenna wire somewhere along the way? That might ground it and cause the error message....
#3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJDave previously said: View Post
Are you sure you didn't pinch the antenna wire somewhere along the way? That might ground it and cause the error message....
I was thinking that same thing and that is why I tried to follow the wire to see where is would be pinched. But on the back of the Fjammer just has plug and the regular antenna (FM/AM).. I am just its just cut or grounded somewhere but the wire I was following went to the back seats so I am real confused...

Well I mean more than normal..

Boss
==============
TLCA # 16404
web_forest.gif
2007 FJC
1970 FJ40
1963 Plymouth Fury
#4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Banned

It is a very ling wire....it sounds like it's grounded somewhere. Did you install it, or did the dealership? If the dealer did, take it back for warranty work. If you did, you may have to trace the wire from end to end. Grab a beer and get on it! That's all I can think of, other than it may be a bad connection on the XM receiver end.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Why in the world does it go to the back seat?????
If the dealer installed it per the instructions it should run down the A-pillar in then into the passenger side of the dash. Then from there run to XM receiver unit, then to the back of the FJammer. I am thinking you might have pulled a cord going from the receiver to the FJammer when installing the center panel that sits above the trans. They may try to give you crap if you go to the dealer if you messed it up by installing the extra plug. It would be your fault if that was the case. I hope you have a "good" dealership.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 AM

When the dealership installed my XM radio ($500), the antenna was ran down A-pillar in then into the passenger side of the dash. At that point the antenna is ran up to the headliner, --> the full length of the headliner, it is extremely long. Why do I know this? Earlier this year I had the same error message (without any modifications) and when I took it in to have it checked, the dealership told me that the antenna wire broke somewhere up in the headliner. It would be easier to replace the antenna then to fix it. They replaced the antenna and never had a problem since.
Attached Images

Dirt Squirt

It's not hard to get rich as it is to
know when you have gotten rich

#7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Tony, mine did the samething after I R&R'd the interior for the cage. Turns out that I pinched the antenna cable when putting the door sill plastic back in place. The XM receiver is mounted behind the plastic in the cargo area on the pasenger side of the vehicle. You can take it to your dealer and tell them you have an error and they'll replace the antenna for you. Since I fooked mine up I ended up buying an antenna and doing it myself. Unfortunately, I was unable to find an aftermarket antenna and Toyota does not sell just the antenna. You have to buy the complete "fit kit" to get the antenna. If you do end up buying the antenna, make sure to buy it online, so you save a few bucks. The dealer will want more then $100 for the kit. Looks like you now have something to do at the wrench-a-thon next month.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
layonnn previously said: View Post
Why in the world does it go to the back seat?????
If the dealer installed it per the instructions it should run down the A-pillar in then into the passenger side of the dash. Then from there run to XM receiver unit, then to the back of the FJammer. I am thinking you might have pulled a cord going from the receiver to the FJammer when installing the center panel that sits above the trans. They may try to give you crap if you go to the dealer if you messed it up by installing the extra plug. It would be your fault if that was the case. I hope you have a "good" dealership.
I really think somehow that is not the right wire that goes to the back. Thats why I stopped pulling panels apart and posted up on here for advice.. I guess I an just going to have to try o follow that waire again and see where it goes.. It must go in under the dash somewhere.. I was thinking someone on here have install one of these or know where it is all suppose to hook up..

I love chasing wire problems !!

Boss
==============
TLCA # 16404
web_forest.gif
2007 FJC
1970 FJ40
1963 Plymouth Fury
#9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

I just posted this in another thread, but 9 times out of 10 it's a pinched or crimped ant. wire. It's "micro-coax" cable and is very vulnerable to kinking.

It's not so much a "ground to short" thing as it is a broken internal wire. The center core wire (copper) is VERY thin like a human hair! Once the coax is pinched, forget about it...you need a whole new antenna.

Now it COULD be the connector. They're had some problems with those and have modified their design in later models.

Vary rarely will the actual antenna fail, but you can't solder micr-coax unless you're an ant or a meely bug!
#10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Forum Veteran

If it is broken, you can splice it, but it is a bit tricky. You need it splice the coax 'core' cable and the gound sheathing seperately without letting them touch and ground out. If you do need a new antenna, it is often cheaper to buy a discounted radio (with the antenna included) then it is to buy the car kit.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.