XM receiver location - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
XM receiver location

As mentioned in an earlier post, I am installing a Pioneer XM tuner this weekend along with a new avic-f90bt. Looking around the inside of the dash behind the glove box, I found an area the xm receiver fits nicely. Has anyone mounted an xm receiver in this location? It is next to the vehicle’s computer, but not touching, and up against the interior panel of the right front fender. I wonder if the vehicle’s computer and other wiring will create interference.

Has anyone tried this? Once I find a location for the box, I will mount the antenna on the roof and route through the A-pillar.

Attached Images

2008 Trail Team Special Edition
URD Short Shifter
Pioneer AVIC-F90BT
Pioneer GEX-P920XM XM
FJCF Grill Badge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Forum Regular

Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: XM receiver location

Quote:
moliver previously said: View Post
As mentioned in an earlier post, I am installing a Pioneer XM tuner this weekend along with a new avic-f90bt. Looking around the inside of the dash behind the glove box, I found an area the xm receiver fits nicely. Has anyone mounted an xm receiver in this location? It is next to the vehicle’s computer, but not touching, and up against the interior panel of the right front fender. I wonder if the vehicle’s computer and other wiring will create interference.

Has anyone tried this? Once I find a location for the box, I will mount the antenna on the roof and route through the A-pillar.

Mine is on passenger floor under mat and Styrofoam up about eight inches. I have been thinking of moving it. How did you secure yours there?

David
N4URR
Titanium w/opt #2 and all the extras
Pioneer Z1- (modified)
ARB - w/12k winch
Man-a-Fre Skids
Expedition Sliders
Cooper Discoverer STT 285
#3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Forum Veteran

I followed Toyota's recommendation and mounted it in the right rear area just above and forward of the right rear tire well behind the plastic trim in that area. It is a bit of work to remove all the trim as prescribed in the OEM install instructions but it is not hard and kind of fun.

There is already one monting hole pre-drilled but the installer has to drill a second hole in the metal using a template that comes in the "fit kit" to accomodate the second mounting bracket for the various receivers that there are to choose from.

I don't have any experience with interference between the FJ's computer and satellite radios. The people who might are the techies at Satellite Radio Experts.com they helped me solve an issue with an antenna that I damaged. Super responsive guys and very helpful.
kroley

kroley
And it's just a Box of Rain or a ribbon for your hair...
Such a long, long time be gone and a shortime to be there...

2008 Titanium: The Silver Fox: Fierce light bar; PIAA 520i fogs; PIAA 520SMRs; PIAA 1500backup lights; Aries powder black bull guard; Real Wheels bush guard; Bug deflector; OEM roof rack,hitch, & tire cover; Toyota OEM running boards; NUVI 5000; XM satellite radio with Trek Marine antena; Sanyo CCA-BC200 rearview camera; Maplight Mod; Manik Tailight Covers.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM

(Thread Starter)

I haven't secured it yet. I was looking around for a place to mount and found this open area. In the pic it is up against the inside right front fender held by the pressure of a wire harness. If I decide to install it in this location, I will add double side tape to the back so it is held more securely. I'm curious if the ECM will create static or any other interference.

URD Short Shifter
Pioneer AVIC-F90BT
Pioneer GEX-P920XM XM
FJCF Grill Badge
#5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
moliver previously said: View Post
I haven't secured it yet. I was looking around for a place to mount and found this open area. In the pic it is up against the inside right front fender held by the pressure of a wire harness. If I decide to install it in this location, I will add double side tape to the back so it is held more securely. I'm curious if the ECM will create static or any other interference.
Seriously, call the guys at satellite radio exoerts; 203-284-8786. Ask for Mike and send him the same pic you posted. I'll bet he can help you out.

That is a tight spot for all the cable and varioius leads. Double sided tape might hold for awhile but may eventually fail and the unit will bounce around a bit.
kroley

kroley
And it's just a Box of Rain or a ribbon for your hair...
Such a long, long time be gone and a shortime to be there...

2008 Titanium: The Silver Fox: Fierce light bar; PIAA 520i fogs; PIAA 520SMRs; PIAA 1500backup lights; Aries powder black bull guard; Real Wheels bush guard; Bug deflector; OEM roof rack,hitch, & tire cover; Toyota OEM running boards; NUVI 5000; XM satellite radio with Trek Marine antena; Sanyo CCA-BC200 rearview camera; Maplight Mod; Manik Tailight Covers.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FJ213

ive got my receiver and interface sitting in the area behind the HU..
theres plenty of room in there...
very easy to install..

08 TT edition, C7 package, 17x9 XD Revolvers w/Nitto TGs 295/70/17, All-Pro 4Hole Air Dam w/PIAA 540s, Rear PIAA 1500s, ARB Bull Bar w/Hella fogs, Safari Snorkel, Arb Rear Bumper, Warn M8000, ARB OnBoard Air, IPFs 900, ARB frig/freezer, 3in Toytec Coil Overs, Rear Scuba Mod, Sirius SAT, Garmin Nuvi 255W, MPac Side & Rear Door Combo, Manik Rear TailLight Guards, Black Billet Side Mirror Light Guards, 48" HiLift, Recovery Gear, Cobra LTD25 w/LilWill

Pat

#7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to replace the head unit next week and add the xm. If there's room behind the dash, cool. If not, the spot in the picture wasn't too tight. All connections are at the top and can be routed perfectly.

I'll update once everything is swapped out.

URD Short Shifter
Pioneer AVIC-F90BT
Pioneer GEX-P920XM XM
FJCF Grill Badge
#8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 PM

In my last vehicle I had an XM radio with the receiver and tuner built in i.e. no need to mount an external box. Is something like this available for the FJ?
#9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage

Mine is in the glove compartment with the DVD player, 30G iPod and Vaistech interface to Navi unit.

TLCA #17592
2007 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Auto Titanium Silver
Mods too long to list so I created a website www.nestahedition.com

www.Facebook.com/NestahEdition
http://instagram.com/nestahedition#

http://norcalfjs.ning.com/

"The silent force" - NestahEdition
"Don't be a So-So. Let your creativity show!"- My spouse

http://www.fjc-mag.com/july-2013/nestah-edition - NestahEdition 07 FJ Featured on July 2013 issue
#10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 AM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
OldScud previously said: View Post
In my last vehicle I had an XM radio with the receiver and tuner built in i.e. no need to mount an external box. Is something like this available for the FJ?
No. The stock FJammer accepts an XM or Sirius satellite connection and requires an external box too.

URD Short Shifter
Pioneer AVIC-F90BT
Pioneer GEX-P920XM XM
FJCF Grill Badge

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.