Brake Controller Install Nightmare!!!! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brake Controller Install Nightmare!!!!

Soooooo.......

I went to OK Tire today to get my brake controller installed and a 7 pin plug. I was quoted $170 on the phone as a quote when I made the appointment.

Usually I would install it myself but I didn't have the time or will to dig into the wiring. So I was told it would be about an hour to an hour and a half on the phone. With that in mind they took it in and began working on it.

I returned 1.5 hours later to pick it up and was told it was still being worked on....come back in another hour. So I went back after an hour and it was still in. After 5 hours in the shop it finally came out and as you can imagine by this time I was pretty torqued.

They worked out the numbers and told me it was going to be $398.00!!! I almost died....my face lit up and I began seeing red. I told him that I wouldn't expect a 1 hour job where the controller was provided by me to cost near that. I also mentioned the quote I was given on the phone.

He went on to say that North American cars are a lot easier and that most of it was already hard wired and that Toyota's take a lot longer. At this point I was done being nice and I told him straight up that was bull****. I said I wouldn't pay a penny over 2 hours of labor and that I would be getting a full quote from the Toyota Dealership 1.5 hours away and that we would talk tomorrow with that quote in hand.........so that is the story so far......I will be contacting the Toyota dealership tomorrow for a REALISTIC quote.

Calvin aka cscott971

B-Package
Color: Black Diamond
Current Mods: Command Start, HID Headlights, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Scangauge II, Kenwood 5120 Head Unit
Near Future Mods: Unichip, Level Kit, Heated Windshield Wash system

2008 Zoom RV Travel Trailer
Air Conditioning, Roll up antenna, fantastic fan, Norcold 3 way fridge, thule attachment system, outdoor bbq, outdoor audio

"Pain is Temporary, Pride is Forever!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Brake Controller Install Nightmare!!!!

that sucks. As a side note, are you sure the Toyota dealership would even have installed this?
I inquired to mine about installing a V8 4runner 7-pin switch and they said they wouldn't do it because it didn't have a high enough tow rating or some BS.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had my brake controller installed by a hitch shop here in Calgary. As I had Toyota install the towing package, most of the wiring was already their. They basically ran the missing wires, and swapped out the 4 pin for the 7 pin, as well as modded a new bracket to hold the 7 pin connector. It was just under $400, with the cost of the prodigy controller, plus the cost of installation.

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi `s nach fhaic!

For so long as 100 men remain alive, we shall never under any conditions submit to the domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which no good man will consent to lose but with his life. - THE DECLARATION OF ARBROATH, 1320

Mods: Nuvi 350 GPS, XM Satellite Radio, Yaesu FTM-10R Mobile Ham, VE6RAO
#4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
layonnn previously said: View Post
that sucks. As a side note, are you sure the Toyota dealership would even have installed this?
I inquired to mine about installing a V8 4runner 7-pin switch and they said they wouldn't do it because it didn't have a high enough tow rating or some BS.
It is law to have trailer brakes for any trailer over 3000lbs and the rating for an FJ Cruiser is 5000lbs. Therefore you need them....and I need them for my RV trailer that is 3700lbs.

Calvin aka cscott971

B-Package
Current Mods: Command Start, HID Headlights, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Scangauge II, Kenwood 5120 Head Unit

Air Conditioning, Roll up antenna, fantastic fan, Norcold 3 way fridge, thule attachment system, outdoor bbq, outdoor audio

#5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
cscott971 previously said: View Post
It is law to have trailer brakes for any trailer over 3000lbs and the rating for an FJ Cruiser is 5000lbs. Therefore you need them....and I need them for my RV trailer that is 3700lbs.
This is correct. It sounds like that the dealer just didn't want to do the work.
Sorry to hear what happened. It took the trailer shop that did mine about an hour and a half to two hours. Its not hard. I really don't see how it took them 5+ hours to do this. Did they have you sign somthing when you dropped it off with a price? If it says $170 on the quote they can't raise the price without you authorizing it first.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In Alberta, brakes are required for any trailer over 2,000 lbs.

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi `s nach fhaic!

For so long as 100 men remain alive, we shall never under any conditions submit to the domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which no good man will consent to lose but with his life. - THE DECLARATION OF ARBROATH, 1320

Mods: Nuvi 350 GPS, XM Satellite Radio, Yaesu FTM-10R Mobile Ham, VE6RAO
#7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

IN Soviet Russia,trailer brakes you!
#8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

lol thanks for the enlightening :P

Quote:
CanadaFJ previously said: View Post
In Alberta, brakes are required for any trailer over 2,000 lbs.

Calvin aka cscott971

B-Package

#9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I wired my brake controller in myself. It took me maybe an hour, though I already had the tow package so most of it was already done. All you have to add is a ground, a wire to the battery, a wire to the brakes, and a wire to the 7pin connector. For the 7pin, all you have to add is a ground, a wire to the battery, and the wire from the brake controller, assuming you have the oem tow harness. I just reused the factory braket for the 4pin to mount my 7pin, which also has a 4pin. The hardest part is running the wires. Total cost to me was $180, 135 for brake controller, 25 for 7pin, 20 for wiring, and an hour of my time.

Eric

2008 Sandstorm FJ
-Offroad pkg, trail gear sliders, toytec 3" coilovers/ MetalTech Long travel Rear, spidertrax 1.25 spacers, toy outfitters rear uca/lca, 35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s, Man-a-fre skids, TC A-arm skids, TC rear lower control arm skids, FJToyman Shock Skids, CB w/ Bandi mount, AFE HT exhaust, Demello front bumper, Warn M8000 w/ synthetic, 4.56 Gears, ARB locker, Safari Snorkel
#10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 PM

Just don't forget to add a circuit breaker between the battery and your 7 pin.
just wondering where EPM tied into the brakes. I used the green with yellow right off the brake pedal....

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.