Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Installed new CB/stereo today

17K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  RobPolak 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally got a chance to install my CB and the new receiver. I went with the Cobra 18 WXSTII for the CB. I coupled that with a Clarion CZ309 receiver. Both mounted in the double DIN mount that I got from Crutchfields.

My antenna is a Wilson 4’ Flex. I put it on a Bandi mount (I was going to build one myself but because I bought the CB, antenna, parts and pieces from Walcott, I had enough for free shipping.).

I didn’t put a spring on it because the Flex antenna does just that, flex…quite a bit. I wanted to be able to bend the antenna over and loop it under the roof rack for pulling into my garage. I had a few people tell me it wouldn’t work and that I’d need a spring. It works.

I routed the antenna cable through the door and up under all the plastic on the side. The only thing I had to remove was the sill strip which popped right out. I taped a length of wire to a coat hanger then taped the wire to the antenna cable and just snaked it all through. I had to split the rubber grommet that I bought because it wouldn't fit over the end of the antenna coax. I bought the Fire Ring coax that had the plug attached at the other end already. I'm going to get some black silicone sealer and just put a little on the grommet and the cable to waterproof it where it meets the door.
I ground off the paint on the Bandi mount on the underside of the antenna lug hole and also where the bolt meets the mount. To keep the area from rusting and to help with the connection I used some Ox-gard anti-oxidant on it. It's really made for aluminum wiring but I figured it would work. I also used a little dielectric grease on the threads of the antenna to help keep that from rusting.

I tuned the antenna and I think I got it right. I had to move the tip out about ½ an inch. For those CB experts out there let me know if I tuned it wrong. I hooked the antenna to the left side of the meter (TX side) and the jumper to the right side (Ant) then to the radio. I turned the knob all the way to the left per the instructions, then turned on the radio with the switch in the FWD position. I keyed up the mike and adjusted the needle all the way to 10 on the right. Moved the switch to REF and the needle went way back over to the left. When I got done tuning, both Ch1 and Ch40 were about 1.2 to 1.3 on the meter (numbers on the underside of the upper scale). Did I do that right? The instructions that came with the unit were not all that clear.

I’m a few miles away from the highway so I didn’t pick up any truck traffic on the CB but I hit the Weather button and it receives the weather report loud and clear.

I replaced the crappy speakers in the doors with a set of 6 3/4" Kicker speakers. I got the mounts and wiring harness for free from Crutchfield when I got the speakers. Just a quick note on Crutchfields...they have some very good documentation that goes with the products they sell. With the instructions for the Clarion head unit and the instructions that came with the free wiring harness from Crutchfields, mating the wires was very easy and they plugged right into the OEM harness in the dash.

Now all I had to do is read the book that came with the Clarion unit to figure out how it works.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Steve...I wasn't sure if I tuned it right or not. I did remember from other posts here to move the truck away from the house and any other obstructions so I tuned it at the end of my driveway. I'm glad I got it right....I didn't want to have to pull the dash apart again.

#4 ·
Nice install...

If I may make one suggestion to you though.

I installed my CB antenna with a similar routing of the cable, but I made sure to leave enough length to to create a "drip loop" before entering the grommet into the door.

Combined with proper sealing with an automotive grade black silicone, this will help eliminate a path for water to entire the door and your vehicle.

Good job on the double din install. This is how I did it as well in an old 4-Runner I had. Super clean way to go!

:bigthumb:

A.W.D.

#9 ·
Thanks all.

I haven't decided about the mic yet....it's in the cupholder temporarily. I was going to get a magnetic mic clip....until I found out that the colored dash piece is plastic. I'll figure something out.

#10 ·
Did some running around downtown this morning, ran into Pete (Slither) and Norm, they were hanging at Norms house and I happened to be going by so I stopped in and said Hi. Pete took a look at my new CB/stereo setup and I told him I was still trying to figure out where to mount the mic. Apparently that is a decision that everyone is sorting out.

Yesterday I stopped at the local truck stop...actually 4 towns away, but the closest one... as they are a good source for CB parts. I have an aversion to drilling holes in my vehicle, particularly in the dash to hang stuff on. I found a CB Mic holder with adhesive backing on it, it's black and it's plastic so it really goes with the FJ dash. For $2.50 I figured I couldn't go wrong. And if I don't like it down the road there won't be any holes in the dash if I remove it.

After holding the mic in various locations I finally settled on the outside of the silver trim piece in the center of the dash. The mic is easy to reach from the driver's seat or passenger's seat and it's out of the way of the airbag and glove box door.

#13 ·
After holding the mic in various locations I finally settled on the outside of the silver trim piece in the center of the dash. The mic is easy to reach from the driver's seat or passenger's seat and it's out of the way of the airbag and glove box door.

Great idea, Teikas. :bigthumb:

Another mic mounting place could be on the face of the plastic center piece right between the seldom-used interior alarm indicator light and the "Duh. Yes, I know have a passenger" airbag advisory light.

Once again, great install that you did. Very professional and clean looking. :cheers:

#18 ·
I'm half deaf and it works fine for me. I use the weather radio option a lot and it's very clear and easy to understand.

#16 ·
Golly this install is so clean and good looking! I'm inspired... What was the total price of everything?

Also, I dont have a roof rack to tuck the antenna into. Will it be a big deal for the antenna to be scraping on parking garages, my garage, etc.... ?

#19 ·
If I remember correctly I think I spent about $350 to $400 for everything. But that includes the Bandi mount, antenna and SWR meter.

#20 ·
#23 · (Edited)
I'm interested in this set up, but I'm not sure about the controls in my steering wheel, I don't want to loose function of them. Found SWI box for about $35. I've got to figure out the sub woofer and the Ipod, I don't want to loose function of them. I'm also thinking I want the antenna disconnect and a marine fuse block under the hood. Just nee time and money. But wow this is a must have! I'm sure my first install will get changed around a little as summer comes around. It's cold out so its going to be quick and ugly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.