Best Leveling Kit??? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Best Leveling Kit???

Just wondering if I can get some feedback for the "best leveling kit"? We do go 'wheelin' at least every other weekend but I put 50-200 highway/city miles on every day. That being said we're thinking the leveling kit is the way to go. As opposed to a full on suspension system, at least for now. The DayStar marketing jargon sure makes their kit sound the best. But as we all know marketing is just that. So, does anyone have any words of wisdom to share with us? Any and all thoughts will be appreciated! SMB4WHLR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Best Leveling Kit???

Same here.. Looking for 3" lift, was thinking of leveling as well but may go spacer kit or new suspension. have a 2011 came with Bilestin/Toyota, can't make out which shock (any good)? Anyways, would go with new springs/shocks but not looking to go full adjustable.

Leaning towards Toytec's 3" spacer kit (rear/springs) if I can keep the shocks..

What is the actual difference between spacer kit and leveling?

Last edited by AZFJ25; 02-07-2011 at 11:27 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 AM

I just leveled mine and you don't want a full 3" in the front unless you like the cali style with the front being higher. I have a TT and put 2" in the front and its level...dead on. Remember that the geometry of the front suspension is not exact math so if you want 2" get a 1" spacer and so on. Hope this helps.

As far as the best, I like the billet spacers myself and everybody is different. Just spend some time searching and get feedback.

Last edited by GUNNERGREEN; 02-08-2011 at 03:47 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:20 AM
fka RockWeasel

IMO, a set of OME 883 leveling springs is the best economical way to go --

Before the ICON's I ran them and they were great. Levels it off nicely, with no need for spacers of any kind. And they're still affordable at around $170.

Of course, the ICON's are about a hundred notches above the old TT Bilsteins, but to tell you the truth they worked great and I really liked the setup. And you can grab a set used Bilsteins for probably <$300.

Anyway, a decent upgrade for well <$500. I never have driven the stock shocks, but I image it'd make a fair difference.

2008 TT | Icon Coilovers | Icon UCAs | 285/75/16 BFG A/Ts (or) 255/85/16 BFG KM2s | MetalTech Bash Front Bumper | DO Hybrid Sliders | Full Rasta Skids | Gobi Stealth w/Ladder | PIAA 2192s | PIAA 520s | L.E.D. IPCWs F/R | Eclipse AVN762E | Focals | Wet Okole F/R | Springtail M-PAC Racks | Industrial Forming Cubby | 3M Scotchguard Film | Ultra-Gauge | Ravelco Anti-Theft Device
#5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Forum Regular

We put the Bilstein 5100's on the front to level, and they work really well. If you do not want to go through a whole suspension upgrade...this is the way to go.

2007 Black FJ Cruiser
2005 Acura TL
2004 Red Porsche Boxster S

"Never complain, never explain" -Henry Ford II
#6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

I just did the Bilstein 5100 level with stock springs and I'm really happy with it. The shocks are a big improvement over the base-model Tokico's if you've got those.

If used Bilstein 5100's are going for $300, don't buy them. I got brand new ones for $225 shipped to my door.

2007 - Titanium, 6 MT, Locker/A-Trac, TRD exhaust, Trail Gear Sliders, Ricochet Skids, Metal-Tech Bumper, Bilstein 5100s on 3rd notch, Warn 9.5ti, BFG ATs 285/70/17, ToyOutfitters LCAs

2011 - Black, 6MT, Locker/A-Trac, Toyota rock rails
#7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Forum Superstar

The Daystar "levelling" kit is a bit of a misnomer since it is actually a full lift kit. It gives you a 2.5in front and 1.5in lift in the back. It is a popular lift around this forum and gets a good reputation.

I went with an actual level lift 2in spacer in the front that got rid of the rake and much of the brake dive. I am like you and put on way too many miles to go to bigger tires. But the truck just looks better without the front fenders looking like they are dragging on the tires.

'07 FJ, C package, 5A, Ti

mods so far
Mod, mod, and more mods and it still looks way to friggin' stock.....grrrrr

Love my truck.....Love my forum

http://www.fjnortheasters.org/forum/

The Northeastest Northeaster
#8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
tnoice previously said: View Post
We put the Bilstein 5100's on the front to level, and they work really well. If you do not want to go through a whole suspension upgrade...this is the way to go.
Quote:
brianh previously said:
I just did the Bilstein 5100 level with stock springs and I'm really happy with it.
x2. Set on the third notch.

Shocks - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

"There's so many different worlds, So many different suns, And we have just one world, But we live in different ones" Mark Knopfler
#9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I used this... (Daystar front level only)

Daystar 1” Leveling Kit – Install Instructions

I'm very happy with it.

Webshot
#10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Forum Master

Garage

So recommendation would be to go 2" leveling kit and replace front shocks only (keep springs) with 5100? Add the rear 1.5 spacer? Would this provide equal height all-around?

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Will this set-up be good for moderate off-roading as well?

Last edited by AZFJ25; 02-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.