Bilstein 5100 level poll - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

View Poll Results: Who is nose up, nose down or level?
Nose Up 19 18.45%
Nose down 26 25.24%
Level 58 56.31%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bilstein 5100 level poll

I've been reading endless threads about the 5100's and it still seems fuzzy about how level the FJ is when the shocks are on the 3rd notch. So I thought I would pop a quick poll up for future people like me. So with just the front 5100's on the 3rd notch (1.75 setting) and stock rear shocks and springs or at least stock springs......... who is nose up, nose down and level?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Bilstein 5100 level poll

I'm level on the 3rd notch but I have a little extra weight on the front end - a Metal Tech tube bumper with winch mount. When I add a winch, I expect that to drop the nose just a bit more.

I measured the height of the bottom of my fender flares right above the center of the wheel and I'm at 36" all around.

2007 - Titanium, 6 MT, Locker/A-Trac, TRD exhaust, Trail Gear Sliders, Ricochet Skids, Metal-Tech Bumper, Bilstein 5100s on 3rd notch, Warn 9.5ti, BFG ATs 285/70/17, ToyOutfitters LCAs

2011 - Black, 6MT, Locker/A-Trac, Toyota rock rails

Last edited by brianh; 03-07-2011 at 06:03 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Interesting, I think I'm 37" in the back (totally stock). No extra weight in or on my FJ though. I'll have to remeasure.

#4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
bodhizafa previously said: View Post
Interesting, I think I'm 37" in the back (totally stock). No extra weight in or on my FJ though. I'll have to remeasure.
I still have my OEM Bridgestone H/T's so if you have taller tires, that could be the difference. Also, lifting the front transfers some weight to the back so your back springs may compress just a little.

2007 - Titanium, 6 MT, Locker/A-Trac, TRD exhaust, Trail Gear Sliders, Ricochet Skids, Metal-Tech Bumper, Bilstein 5100s on 3rd notch, Warn 9.5ti, BFG ATs 285/70/17, ToyOutfitters LCAs

2011 - Black, 6MT, Locker/A-Trac, Toyota rock rails

Last edited by brianh; 03-07-2011 at 06:32 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
brianh previously said: View Post
I still have my OEM Bridgestone H/T's so if you have taller tires, that could be the difference. Also, lifting the front transfers some weight to the back so your back springs may compress just a little.
The third notch will be slightly nose up when you first get it done. The shock will settle after a while and be total level... Hope this helps...
#6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Forum Superstar

Mine never settled. They were 20k miles old when I changed the struts though. I sit 2.5" taller than before in the front. At the flare, I'm 1.25" taller in the front than the rear. I like it's stance.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Forum Veteran

Mine is also on the third notch, but it still has a slight rake. It sits about 1/2 an inch lower in the front than the rear. For some perspective, it is 36.5 to the middle of the flare in the front and 37 in the rear with 265/70/17 tires. I think it all depends on your truck as to how much it will end up lifting because there are so many different results around the forum.

I would suggest setting the shocks on the second notch and then let it settle for a few days. If you want more lift then it is pretty simple to adjust while the coilovers are on the truck. Hope that helps some.

'07 Black Cherry 4x4
#8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Briman42487 previously said: View Post
Mine never settled. They were 20k miles old when I changed the struts though. I sit 2.5" taller than before in the front. At the flare, I'm 1.25" taller in the front than the rear. I like it's stance.
That seems like a pretty big difference. The 1.75 settings gave you 2.5 inches lift up front?

#9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Finished the install.....5100's all around. Came out level...at least by the eyeball test.

Before:

After:

#10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Hey guys, I have a set of 5100's from my Tacoma days still sitting in my garage. My FJ came with the 3" Revtek spacer lift. I'm hesitating to install the 5100's because I'm not sure what the final result will be. Isn't the 3rd notch the highest possible notch?

I don't want to tear into my truck because it appears that somehow they got the alignment back into spec even with the Revtek lift. When I had my 5100's on my Tacoma only on the 2nd notch my alignment shop claimed they couldn't get me back into spec without aftermarket UCA's. Anyone got some insight? I wouldn't be surprised if that alignment shop just blows. They don't see too many modified vehicles around here.

Tread lightly. Enjoy the scenery. Keep the Oregon OHV experience growing

2008 Sandstorm FJ

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.