OEM FJ Bilstein's vs. Bilstein 5100's - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OEM FJ Bilstein's vs. Bilstein 5100's

Has anyone here went from one of the OEM FJ Bilstein setups to the 5100's? I'm about to buy new shocks and am unsure which to get. My main goal is improved ride on road, don't do much off roading at all. I know those who switch from the Tokico's to both really l like the ride, I'm just wondering if there's much difference between the two Bilstein setups. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: OEM FJ Bilstein's vs. Bilstein 5100's

Sorry, I have no answer for you but my question does relate to the OEM Bilsteins. Gives you a bump.

If an FJ comes with the Trail-Tuned Bilstein Shock Absorbers, would these have to be replaced if a 3" lift was installed (i.e. could they work with a 3" lift)?

"There's so many different worlds, So many different suns, And we have just one world, But we live in different ones" Mark Knopfler
#3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER previously said: View Post
Has anyone here went from one of the OEM FJ Bilstein setups to the 5100's? I'm about to buy new shocks and am unsure which to get. My main goal is improved ride on road, don't do much off roading at all. I know those who switch from the Tokico's to both really l like the ride, I'm just wondering if there's much difference between the two Bilstein setups. Thanks!
Performance wise - similar shocks...
Main difference:
Front: Trail tuned Bilsteins are not adjustable, while 5100s are adustable heights.

Rear: Trail tuned Bilsteins will not work with the rear lift, while rear 5100s will - longer travel shock.

Bottom line, if you are staying stock height (Not lifting or leveling), trail tuned Bilsteins will work just fine.

2010 FJC AG 6MT
2005 4Runner SE

My build..slow but consistent

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...6mt-build.html

www.fjnortheasters.org

#4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 08:12 AM

(Thread Starter)

I've chosen to go with the 5100's on the front for sure, just unsure on the rears. I have a 4runner and with my setup I must keep a shock that is the same length as stock, so the 5100 rears won't work. The Bilstein HD's have the same valve rate as the 5100's, so it's gonna be either those or the TT FJ's. I can get the TT shocks cheaper than the HD's, so I'd really like to use those IF they will match the 5100 fronts. Thanks for your input.

Senor: you could use the stock shocks with the 3" lift, although about the only thing you're gaining is ground clearance. Aftermarket shocks will give you additional benefits. This article, although maybe a bit biased, will explain why something like the 5100's is better than using a spacer to lift and stock shocks.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Senor Buckwheat previously said: View Post

If an FJ comes with the Trail-Tuned Bilstein Shock Absorbers, would these have to be replaced if a 3" lift was installed (i.e. could they work with a 3" lift)?
I dont know if it will work with any lift, but i am pretty sure that Wilson's wife has a Toyotec lift with the trail tuned bilstein shocks (TT shocks).

Found the quote.

Quote:
WILSON previously said: View Post
My wife has the 2010 TT and installed an aftermarket bumper. She kept the Bilsteins and installed the following:

Sale on Coilover kit!

Here is a link to her build and you can see the before and after:

Baby J starting to grow up and get some bite

She has been extremely pleased with the ride.

"Jefe" 2010 TT

Last edited by Bracut80; 03-25-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.