Suspension upgrade??? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Suspension upgrade???

I have been looking around this site for a while now, and the suspension debate is a little too overwhelming for me. To me the Icon stage 6 kit seem like it would be the best for me. Mostly because its a complete kit and I don't really understand the components and how they work with each other. Does any one have the complete stage 6 installed? How is the ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Regional Moderator

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Darn near, but with Kings, so I can't answer your question.

I'm becoming more of a believer in using all components from one company, due to minor issues with my set up. My vote is the Icon Stage 6 is the way to go, and I know there will be many posts to follow exclaiming different.

The Icon products are top notch, and you pay a premium for, but my experience so far, with all the components of the Stage 6 with Kings, warrants saying it's an awesome system.

I can't recall if the Extended Travel with reservoir is standard on the Stage 6. If not, would check into the additional cost.

I love the Kings, but I'd suggest staying with all Icon for that degree of a suspension upgrade.

And the ride quality in mine is equivalent to the GX460, with a little more body roll, little stiffer when it needs to be.

Delancy

"Sometimes you are actually restricted by what you know. It narrows your vision and doesn't challenge you to find different ways."

-Wikid

"I'm unique... Just like everyone else!"

-Big Turtle
#3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Re: Suspension upgrade???

Quick and easy answer.. Go with the Icon stage 6. I have this complete setup. I have been in various FJs with different lifts but I like the Icon the best. I have the heavy ARB front bumper and I can't even tell it is there. The ride is solid and firm but still comfortable. The main selling point for me was a tour of Icon in Riverside CA. R&D they put into these parts is amazing. Everything is made in the US and in house. There is a reason it will cost you more, and that is because every single part is made right.

KK6FJC

March '08 Sandstorm 4x4. ICON Stage 6, Bud Built, ARB, EXP ONE, Safari Snorkel, KM2 P-cutters, Dirty Parts....
#4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
This is what I wanted to hear! Sounds like once I decide to put the lift in this is probably the route that I will take. I don't have a hard time spending money on quality parts, sounds like the icon brand is just that!
#5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Re: Suspension upgrade???

Stage 6 is nice and complete... but since you didn't give much info on how you plan to wheel your rig (trails, hard core rocks, pre-runner...) it is hard to say if it is right for what you plan to do.

I would suggest you give the LT or Mark at Metal Tech (supporting vendor) a call. They carry ICON, Sway-A-Way, OME and others. They will spend lots of time talking with you to ensure you understand all the components and get a set up that is right for you. Ask around and you will find Metal Tech is one of the good vendors.

LGRT
See our Off-Road Adventure website for stories, pictures and videos of our off-road adventures, how to mods and maintenance as well as random thoughts and rants
MODs:"Like" us at Last Great Road Trip on Face Book for extras and occasional free stuff

Last edited by lgrt; 07-26-2011 at 10:31 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
^^ Out of curiosity, what would you say is the intended terrain of the Icon Stage 6?

Correct me where I'm wrong, but based on what little I know, Icon uses a digressive valving that is softer on the faster, bigger hits, and harder on the slower, smaller, where as progressive valving is exact opposite.

Essentially, if that is true, are the Icons true intention desert runs, only? I can see the benefit in the Extended Travel for the rocks, but soaking up the small, slower hits would be advantageous, right?

"Sometimes you are actually restricted by what you know. It narrows your vision and doesn't challenge you to find different ways."

-Wikid

"I'm unique... Just like everyone else!"

-Big Turtle

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.