CV Axle question - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM
The Traveling Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: CV Axle question

I have the Norma Terra worm drive clamps and they still leak. i think mine is an issue where the boot has two large of an opening and regardless of how much i clamp it, it just bunches up and still weeps. I end up pulling the CV and refilling- PITA.

I'm currently looking into RCV's but the cost is scary high.

Smalldog- where are those upgraded boots on eBay?

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"...
The Build--> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Smalldog previously said: View Post
Yea, and you will have to separate the band of the clamp from the ratchet portion of the clamp so that you can fit the bracket over the boot. Otherwise you would have to remove the whole thing to have access to the sides to slide the clamps on without separating it.

Maybe you can find just that one clamp but the oem will be no better than the one you have. In some old threads on here, people have listed the part numbers of each improved clamp for the cv boots...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Clamps ordered.

I don't need anything more than pliers and a screwdriver, will I? I read another post where someone mentioned needing a special tool for some aftermarket clamps. I just ordered the ones off ebay.

Really excited that this may be a much cheaper fix than I originally thought. The great salesman at the shop almost sold me a new CV!
#13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Supporting Member
Quote:
Buzzzzz previously said: View Post
Clamps ordered.

I don't need anything more than pliers and a screwdriver, will I? I read another post where someone mentioned needing a special tool for some aftermarket clamps. I just ordered the ones off ebay.

Really excited that this may be a much cheaper fix than I originally thought. The great salesman at the shop almost sold me a new CV!
Nope, a screwdriver is all you really need. The eBay clamps easily disconnect and reconnect to open them up and slide them over, and reattach.

Yea until the CVs make noise there is no need to replace them unless its free under warranty. I have never heard of a cv that doesn't make noise before it fails , except if impacted.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

• 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • Stealth Custom Series Matte Bronze Wheels
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
#14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular

Ok this thread may be a little old but I do need some insight on a similar issue. I've replaced both cv axles at the same time with cardone aftermarkets. I followed the BellyDoc walk through, but I think there is something to be said for changing the seals because now my driver side inner is leaking gear oil pretty bad. I bought a new OEM seal but now the stupid a axle refuses to come out. And now I've noticed a little play on the cv.

What do you guys suggest I do? I still have my oem's sitting on the floor waiting for a rebuild but this leak is driving me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
#15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Forum Regular

Never mind I think I figured it out
#16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Well what did you figure out?

Chris

"It's lonely being a cannibal. Tough making friends."

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser, Auto, 4wd, Toytec Ultimate 3" lift, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, TheToyOutfitters LCA, Procomp Series 87 Steelies Painted White, 285/75 R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, Trail Gear Sliders, TheToyOutfitters Custom Front Bumper, Snorkel, Outrider Lower Link Armor
www.TRDParts4U.com
#17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Capt Sensible previously said: View Post
Well what did you figure out?
Yeah I suppose I should have posted that....

Well it turns out the axle itself wasn't seated correctly. I managed to do the job a million times faster the second time around. For the record it still leaks a little because I haven't changed the seal yet, however it's tolerable now that I've gotten the cv axle to set "correctly". Now I can get my OEM's together and put them back in, not really liking the aftermarkets so much.

I wish Toyota would offer theirs for half the price because paying $550 + tax each for something I'm sure to ruin more than once kinda sucks!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.