Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

CV Axle question

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  4g63rotary 
#1 ·
The front-end problems seem to continue. I took the FJ to get the alignment checked out, which turned out fine as it had moved very little in the last few thousands miles (right Caster kept moving a lot in a short period of time), but they told me my CV Axle/joint/whatever was leaking and that I needed to get it replaced. So, I did some research on here and although I'm not completely sure of what everything is, it sounds like maybe it could just be a boot or a new clamp I need? I am not sure how to tell. Anyway, they quoted me $355 to replace the right axle (this is at Tires Plus), so I will probably take it to the Dealer, tell them something doesn't look right and see what they say and get an estimate. It's an 07 with under 50k and is driven pretty easily, not sure why it's konked out on me already.

Any thoughts? I attached pic.

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the cv causing noise or binding?Mine leak a bit from my lift but no issues with a little seepage. If there are no issues with the cv, you can buy upgraded boots and clamps on ebay. If its making noise you need a new one and can buy aftermarket for about $70 from rock auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#4 · (Edited)
I'll have to check to see about the band, but I don't think it's there.

It's not making any noise.

If it's just a clamp and/or boot I need, that is a significantly less cost than the whole thing, right - both in parts and labor? I doubt I'll be fixing this myself, but if I know enough about what's going on, maybe I can not get suckered into buying more than I really need.

#5 ·
I'll have to check to see about the band, but I don't think it's there.

It's not making any noise.

If it's just a clamp and/or boot I need, that is a significantly less cost than the whole thing, right - both in parts and labor? I doubt I'll be fixing this myself unless it really just needs a clamp (doesn't look like a big undertaking), but if I know enough about what's going on, maybe I can not get suckered into buying more than I really need.
The ebay upgrade is about $15. It's the labor that would get you..Do it yourself

If you're just missing the clamp you can easily add a clamp without removing the cv joint from the truck...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=260898308469&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=40411554007

#8 ·
I would say so...if you have a lift, it's normal to have seepage. Those eBay clamps are designed to hold better so I bet those are all you might need to maximize the life of your cvs.

If you don't have a lift, and there never was a lift if you bought it used, I suspect the boot might be torn and you will need a new cv once it gets noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#11 ·
I have the Norma Terra worm drive clamps and they still leak. i think mine is an issue where the boot has two large of an opening and regardless of how much i clamp it, it just bunches up and still weeps. I end up pulling the CV and refilling- PITA.

I'm currently looking into RCV's but the cost is scary high.

Smalldog- where are those upgraded boots on eBay?

#14 ·
Ok this thread may be a little old but I do need some insight on a similar issue. I've replaced both cv axles at the same time with cardone aftermarkets. I followed the BellyDoc walk through, but I think there is something to be said for changing the seals because now my driver side inner is leaking gear oil pretty bad. I bought a new OEM seal but now the stupid a axle refuses to come out. And now I've noticed a little play on the cv.

What do you guys suggest I do? I still have my oem's sitting on the floor waiting for a rebuild but this leak is driving me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
Well what did you figure out?

#17 ·
:rofl: Yeah I suppose I should have posted that....

Well it turns out the axle itself wasn't seated correctly. I managed to do the job a million times faster the second time around. For the record it still leaks a little because I haven't changed the seal yet, however it's tolerable now that I've gotten the cv axle to set "correctly". Now I can get my OEM's together and put them back in, not really liking the aftermarkets so much.

I wish Toyota would offer theirs for half the price because paying $550 + tax each for something I'm sure to ruin more than once kinda sucks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.