Which lift kit? Confused! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which lift kit? Confused!

I want the best 3" lift for my FJ. Its my everyday family vehicle, so ride is very important. OMU has 2"...does that come out to 3" once its on the vehicle?

Also, i have regular factory wheels and tires, and ARB front/rear bumpers...ARB has light and heavy versions, with the weight of my ARB bumpers would i be considered heavy (kit)?

Thanks

Scotty V.
Breckenridge Colorado

A lot of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up.....I tell them they can't do both!!

Sun Fusion AT CQ UR#2 TRD Ex, Rack, yadda yadda yadda....

Last edited by Scottsfire; 12-13-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Banned

Re: Which lift kit? Confused!

Quote:
Scottsfire previously said: View Post
I want the best 3" lift for my FJ.
Hi Scottsfire,

I love this topic, but I have to ask..... how much research and reading have you done thus far on lifts and suspension for the FJ?

You might not get very many responses, because we have no idea what your requirements or budget details are. So, I wanted to help out; let's start with a few questions/answers to help get this thread rocking ok?
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What details can you provide about the type/feel of 'ride' you seek? Although there are some common denominators, for the most part this is very subjective. So any details you can provide and define for us the better the responses here will be.
  3. Are you keeping your stock wheels and rubber size in the near and long-term future? If not, which wheel and rubber are you planning to put on your FJ?
  4. When you go off-road, what type of areas and conditions would you consider to be typical for yourself? For example, are you going to climb rocks, or play in the sand, mud, dirt, go fast or go slow, traverse challenging trails, etc?
  5. Are you going to add a winch in the front ARB bumper?
  6. Are you going to add significant under-armor, or just an engine skid upgrade, etc?
  7. Have you already decided, yet, whether you want extended (long) travel shocks or not? (bear in mind that for some people strongly feel that a diff-drop is needed if you go up to a full 3" lift; some engine skids are 'not' compatible in that scenario)

Let's start with those questions. Please spend the time to provide as much detail as possible. If you do, you'll get plenty of responses that are relevant to your 'needs and wants' instead of just blah blah answers that may or may not actually help you.

I wish I lived in CO. If I ever decide to sell my home, Colorado in on a very short list of places that I'd like to live.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 AM

I think I'm in the same position. My FJ is my daily car and Family car as well. I Byrne to lift the car 3". After some research and lots of feedback from this forum and other FJ owners I got to know that Icon stage 1 lift kit is one that I will be considering at the moment. I'm at a stage where I'm looking at which tires would suit best without causing any rubbing at full steer.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
#4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CowboyCEO
Lifetime Supporting Member

I actuality, The term, "3 inch lift" is kinda generic. Most if not all of the higher end (King, Icon, Fox) systems are designed around a "2 inch' taller spring in the back and most of the fronts are dialed to 2 1/2" - 2 3/4 inches of lift.

You say you want "the best" and if you don't mind dropping some coin geared towards miles and miles of "ear to ear" smiles. I would pick one of those three listed with a 2 1/2 inch diameter shock bodies to manage the weight of those bumpers.
That full Icon Stage 3 set up in the "For Sale" thread is a smoking deal. It might already be sold.

2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

200,000 mile club

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>
#5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage

I would suggest riding in a FJ that has been lifted before purchasing a lift. With that being said I have the Pro Comp 3" lift and for the price I couldn't be happier. I wanted something that was soft because I do a lot of rough city driving.

Good luck!

2013 Army Green FJ Cruiser
My build thread: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...daptation.html
Featured on Dirt Road Trip: http://dirtroadtrip.com/trucks/featu...13-fj-cruiser/
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg588/codename607/banner1_zps7ff6346f.jpg
#6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Buggy Building Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
Tribal previously said: View Post
Hi Scottsfire,

I love this topic, but I have to ask..... how much research and reading have you done thus far on lifts and suspension for the FJ?

You might not get very many responses, because we have no idea what your requirements or budget details are. So, I wanted to help out; let's start with a few questions/answers to help get this thread rocking ok?
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What details can you provide about the type/feel of 'ride' you seek? Although there are some common denominators, for the most part this is very subjective. So any details you can provide and define for us the better the responses here will be.
  3. Are you keeping your stock wheels and rubber size in the near and long-term future? If not, which wheel and rubber are you planning to put on your FJ?
  4. When you go off-road, what type of areas and conditions would you consider to be typical for yourself? For example, are you going to climb rocks, or play in the sand, mud, dirt, go fast or go slow, traverse challenging trails, etc?
  5. Are you going to add a winch in the front ARB bumper?
  6. Are you going to add significant under-armor, or just an engine skid upgrade, etc?
  7. Have you already decided, yet, whether you want extended (long) travel shocks or not? (bear in mind that for some people strongly feel that a diff-drop is needed if you go up to a full 3" lift; some engine skids are 'not' compatible in that scenario)

Let's start with those questions. Please spend the time to provide as much detail as possible. If you do, you'll get plenty of responses that are relevant to your 'needs and wants' instead of just blah blah answers that may or may not actually help you.

I wish I lived in CO. If I ever decide to sell my home, Colorado in on a very short list of places that I'd like to live.

Hit the nail on the head . A bit more information needed to give more targeted responses.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 95 Post(s)

As a "general rule of thumb" I'd stay with a system that is put together and sold as a package as opposed to mixing and matching on my own. Not to say you can't do that and get what you want, you will just have to do your research.

A grilled cheese, please!
#8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)

There is a lot of research already done on what your asking on this forum. Sometimes it is not easy to sort through with a ton of opinions that maybe are not the direction you want to go.

My opinion is you get what you pay. Toytec, Icon, Fox, King is what I researched.

I also wanted mine off road capable but having good on street manors. I chose the Icon stage 1 with Camburg UCAs. I am more than impressed with it.

There are a bunch of members around the Denver area that you might be able to look at , ride in and get there opinion.

Good luck and if you want to drive 100 miles North I would let you check out mine.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Forum Regular

I went with Icon stage 2. Feels nice and comfortable. Main difference is that going around corners is less body roll and braking has less nose dive. Just took the FJ on a trip to the beach (4 hours each way) and it was smooth.

1COR1:18
#10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM

First post so take it easy on me.

Similar lift decision issues here although I've been researching through this and other forums. I have a 2010 FJ with a 135lb Fab Fours front bumper and 65 lb Smittybilt XRC-8 winch. The tires are 285/70/17 Wrangler MT/Rs. The MT/Rs alone added about an inch to the height. Before I installed the bumper I had no tire clearance issues. Afterwards the front sag forced me to remove the front mud flaps for tire clearance issues.

Anyways, I needed a lift or leveling plan. The basic seems to be a simple spacer kit (various brands) that lift the front 2.5 inches and rear 1 inch or so thereby leveling the truck. These are pretty simple to install.

The next option is to switch out the springs and/or shocks on the front (and rear if you want a full lift). There are several kits to accomplish this (OME, Toytecs ultimate lift, Icon, etc). Some are pre assembled while some require you to compress the springs and assemble on site. If you go for the full lift you may need to address follow up issues around 1) proper alignment (may need new UCAs) 2) suspension changes 3) entering certain garages.

I decided to try the Daystar spacer leveling kit because I can install it, it is cheap enough if to try out, and it just might be all I need for mild offroading. Plus Amazon ships it quick. Will know after this weekend. Thanks to all the contributors I used for research.

White 2010 FJ 4x4, Stock

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.