5100's VS. 3" Lift - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Rshull07
(Thread Starter)
5100's VS. 3" Lift

Ok so I posted a thread earlier asking about shocks but incase you missed it heres a quick recap, I have an 07 FJ completely stock with 91000 miles. The stock shocks are pretty much done so Im looking to replace them. from all the threads Ive read Im loving the Bilstein 5100's. Im looking to at least level the front end and possibly give me a little more height all around and these seem to be what Im looking for....However for roughly the same price it looks like I can get into a 3" lift kit. This is my daily driver so I want something that will give me good, smooth on road performance and a little extra height when I do go off road. And its about time for me to get a new set of tires and Im considering going for some 285/70/17's either Nitto TG's or another set of BFG AT's so should I stick with the 5100's or go for a full lift? price is important Id like to keep it under $500 or $600 if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Re: 5100's VS. 3" Lift

Well if you get a bargain lift, you're still going to have to replace the shocks. So go with the 5100's, I've heard a lot of people are very happy with them. If they fit your needs, go with them. They will also improve ride over the stockers too.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Русский царь

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Have you considered OME? Lots of great reviews on those. The suple ride you have could also change with the tires. Make sure you stick with D rated tires. Many switch to tires that only run in E rated and the extra plies cause the ride to be stiffer.

Otherwise a little more $ and the Toytec lifts would be a great melding of what you want- Bilsteins and a lift

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"...
The Build--> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html
#4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

I've installed 5100's on 5 or 6 local FJs and everyone has been very happy with the improved ride and lift for the money (and I'm happy with all the beer I'm earning!). I've heard good stuff about OME, but haven't installed any. O.C. is very right about the tires though. Now that I'm back on D rated tires, it's like a Cadillac compared to the E rated tires that were on it.

Black 07 6MT Blacked out including roof
Speedrye front bumper, Ricochet under, stock rear
Lighting by TRS, Rigid, Baja Designs & a Chinese sweatshop
Audio by JVC, Infinity, Alpine, Boston, MB Quart
17x9 Liquid Metal Gatlins in black wrapped in Kumho 315/70-17 MT's
Toyota Rock Rails, Toyoutfitters links, URD shifter, Engo 12K synthetic
Toytec/Bilstein/OME suspension lift
Light Racing UCAs and a 4crawler 1.25" body lift
Uniden Pro520XL CB w/ 3' Firestiks up front
#5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

I've been very happy with 5100s. Also have some very heavy OE sized E rated tires. They ride just fine, and in my opinion even a little better than the Pmetric ones I previously had. The extra weight really makes the truck feel a bit more planted, and they work really well aired down offroading.

-Adam '07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
Bilstein 5100s | Superflex springs | ProComp ES9000 | LR UCAs | LT285/75r16 Terra Grapplers - Offroad wheels | Westin 55W 6" lights
TG Sliders | Ricochet Armor | Rocktek Link Armor | UltraGauge | Husky Liners | Midlands 75-822 - 3' Firestik - Boztec mount
Ellis Precision | Discovery Overhead Console. w/ GPS | Lots of Fluid Film underneath | Scuba Mod | Dent(s)
#6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Rshull07
(Thread Starter)

Ive been told by some local shops its also time to replace my springs as well. Is that necessary to do along with the shocks? Thats what has me considering the OME kit but its just a little out of my budget at the moment. Should I save up for the OME kit? Or just stick with the 5100's on stock springs in the front?
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I I were you I stick to the 5100's. If your springs are getting softer you can always kick it up a notch. You might have enough left over for some take off springs and shocks for the back. They are often available for sale here.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM

Interesting... I have stock rear springs and shocks that I can sell ya cheap.
I just had the 3" Rough Country lift installed... love it by the way.

2011 Iceberg, Black Leather, 3" Rough Country Lift, 285/70/R17 BFG MT KM2, TT Billet Shift Knobs, thinking of next mod...
#9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I'm running 5100's set on second setting with Eibach front springs up front, and 5100's with Toytec Superflex springs in the rear. I got just under 3'' lift upfront and a little over 2'' out back. As far as tire size, I'm running 285 70 17 without a BMC and have no rubbing issues at all. I would definitely recommend this setup. Also I would recommend a differential drop kit. Toytec sells one for $20 or so that also comes with skid Plate spacers. I have 5k on my lift over the past 8 months and the only issue was wear on the axle seals due to not having a differential drop.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Re: Re: 5100's VS. 3" Lift

This setup is also in your price range. Go with the Nitto's

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.