Factory Bilstein vesus King - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Factory Bilstein vesus King

Just wondering if there is much difference in the ride quality of the factory Bilstein versus say a King or Fox type shock. I was thinging about getting a 2.5" lift from King. Another question would be how much does it actually lift the Fj as I can just get in my garage door now. My Fj is used 99% of the time on the road, so any suggestions are welcome thaxs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Factory Bilstein vesus King

If you have the money, get the king oem setup. It's not designed as a lift, really, but it will certainly bring the front end up level with the rear.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Smurf Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

G'day Boyd,
I cannot answer your question, never had Bilsteins, only King OE's - but King is regarded as one of the best and a step up from Bilstein's. But you pay alot more for a King set up.
Many including myself believe that with King's you ride like a Caddy ...

Cheers
Baz

2011 VB 4x4 AT with CDO
#4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

So how many inches if any did the height change I wonder
#5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Ohio- Security isn't real by sentiment but Soldiers who have been trained in the use of Force!!
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

99% on road I would rather upgrade to adjustable 5100's and level the fJ that way. Kings you will be close to a grand out of pocket. They are a sweet set up and should last the life time of your FJ with proper maintenance..

Thank you Vets

#6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

So arent the factory shocks Bilstein 5100 but non adjustable, so is the a big diffenence there going with adjustables?
#7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Ohio- Security isn't real by sentiment but Soldiers who have been trained in the use of Force!!
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

Not sure if their 5100"s but the 5100's that are adjustable can raise the front end which is a huge benefit in daily FJ driving . I know when I got my FJ I hated the front end dive when hitting the brakes or letting off the gas quickly. Once I leveled/lifted the FJ all that vanished and it was a much more stable rig even with a P_O_S Rc 3" lift. When my girlfriend buys her FJ it will be adjustable 5100"s to level it out, 33" tires, 17" rims, MTZ tires and BW' flares for a little extra "bling" around the tire area as I know 99% of her driving will be on road..

Thank you Vets

#8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
FJ&TJ_Dude previously said: View Post
Not sure if their 5100"s but the 5100's that are adjustable can raise the front end which is a huge benefit in daily FJ driving . I know when I got my FJ I hated the front end dive when hitting the brakes or letting off the gas quickly. Once I leveled/lifted the FJ all that vanished and it was a much more stable rig even with a P_O_S Rc 3" lift. When my girlfriend buys her FJ it will be adjustable 5100"s to level it out, 33" tires, 17" rims, MTZ tires and BW' flares for a little extra "bling" around the tire area as I know 99% of her driving will be on road..

Wow this is the exact issue I have when I brake. I mean I'm not a hard step on the pedal and smash the brake at last minute driver. But I did notice that it does dive a bit and when I did have to make an immediate stop It was like I was going to do front flips...

2013 Trail Teams FJ.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CowboyCEO

The ride difference is

Bilsteins = Jack of Hearts

OE Kings = Ace of Spades 0-3" lift

The Kings you speak of are OE (8" of travel / which is the stock travel) and can be dialed to what you are looking for as far as lift and can be run with stock U.C.A.s (upper control arms)

Do it! You are going to freak on the transformation!

*Even though I run extended travel Fox (9, 1/2" travel) I have been in rigs with King OE shocks.

2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>

Last edited by CowboyCEO; 03-07-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: valid info
#10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
BOYD previously said: View Post
Just wondering if there is much difference in the ride quality of the factory Bilstein versus say a King or Fox type shock. I was thinging about getting a 2.5" lift from King. Another question would be how much does it actually lift the Fj as I can just get in my garage door now. My Fj is used 99% of the time on the road, so any suggestions are welcome thaxs.
Boyd, I originally had a 07 TRD with the blisteins and switched in 2011 to a Green TTSE. ( We also have a White 08 TTSE in the family.) I liked the ride with the Blisteins. I thought it was great... until I upgraded to Kings. What a transformation. She handles better, rides smoother, and handles like a sports car compared to the stock Blisteins. I drove our White TTSE after installing the Kings in my '11TTSE and could not believe the difference. I kept the OEM rear springs for now. With the Kings and stock rear springs my truck is a few inches below 7 ft. I can still get into parking garages. It did lift the front up a few inches so she sits level now. ( No more anteater stance.)
There are a lot of really nice suspension packages out there. I researched for many months before I decided on the Kings. There is some Outstanding write-ups on this forum by Chris Delancy and Tcao. Both are very sharp gentlemen. Absolute wealth of knowledge.
Enjoy your FJ brother!!! Look forward to seeing her in a build thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01458 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	70914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01456 (1024x755).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	70915  

Brian

2011 TTSE
The Grey Ghost FJ

King Suspension, Total Chaos UCA's, CSS Rear Coils, Metal Tech Front Bumper, Engo Winch, Hella Supertone Horns, Expedition One Windshield Washer Relocation Tank, PRG Snorkel, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Catback, Revelco Antitheft, Falken 285/75R16, Ellis Shifters, Scuba Mod, Wet Okole Seat Covers, PIAA 520 Fogs, 29inch LED lightbar, Diehard Platinum, and Husky liners.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.