Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Pie Plates

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Winterpeg 
#1 ·
OK, I came to the FJ after having zoomy sedans, specifically Ford SHOs. One of the first things to do with the car was to remove the pie plates (backing the disc brakes) to save unsprung weight.

I understand that the minimal weight saving might be negligible on this vehicle but am curious about current thinking here. Are these things a real protection feature, or just over-engineering?

Tried to search this out, but didn't find any relevant discussions.

#2 ·
I think if you want to save unsprung weight, a Lotus is a more appropriate choice with which to start.

The first thing most FJC owners do is to add a couple hundred pounds of weight in the form of larger tires, skid plates, bumpers, and sliders.

#5 ·
Those "backing the disc brakes" are designed to keep crap from getting between your brake pads and rotor surface. That may not be too big a deal on the street but if you plan to use your truck prolly a better idea to leave them on.

#6 ·
do you think 10-20 lbs on a 4500lbs vehicle or even your 4000lbs SHO gonna make any difference?
same reason people wasting money on wheels that are only 2 lbs lighter.

#8 ·
Ummm hell yes. 1lb of unsprung weight (wheel weight) off each corner dramatically improves suspension performance. If you've never tried it you'd have no idea how much it matters.

However brake tins can only be a couple ounces a piece so they likely aren't that significant but still unsprung weight has a ridiculous affect on suspensions/handling.

#7 ·
If you want real weight savings, getting rid of the spare is probably the easiest way to lose 50lbs. Also, if you are sticking to the street (which it sounds like you are with worrying about weight) you can get rid of the factory skid plates to save some more weight.

#18 ·
LOL. I feel your pain. :grin

I know where you're coming from with the unsprung weight idea, but you have to realize that with all the accessories many get--body armor (skid plates, sliders), steel bumpers, larger tires, beefier control arms, steel roof racks, beadlocks and the like to make our vehicles more off-road capable, a few tin pie pans on the wheels are like ants on an elephant metaphorically, but I know you know that.

Btw, my Ford Explorer and sport sedans had those brake shields too.

#17 ·
:rofl: :bigthumb:

#15 ·
There is no doubt unsprung weight is actually a huge factor in handling and lighter wheels and tires will help with braking and accelerating, but i think for the added protection off road, those tins are worth their weight.

#16 ·
One of the first things to do with the car was to remove the pie plates (backing the disc brakes) to save unsprung weight.
Dude, wake up. :)
How much you got off, 2 pounds? If you want to save unsprung weight, change the tires (and wheels), find the lightest ones. There is quite big differences between tire models even at the same size.

#19 ·
I always get friggin stones stuck in between that tin and the rotor. Makes a gawdawful noise.
Are those things really that important like the OP is asking?

I've considered getting rid of them too... for a different reason of course... but I wasn't sure if I would be exposing my rotor too much....

:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.