Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Advice on leveling and Bilstein (or others?)

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Db2boy 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
I'm getting ready to replace the tires on my 2008 TT and while at it would like to level up the front. Originally I was looking at the Daystar leveling kit, then the RC set up and through reading here it seems the Bilstein 5100s are a more regarded route to take.

I currently do not off road but would like to give it a go a few times a year as this progresses. I'm getting a tad confused the more I try and read on here the correct way to do this and achieve the higher/level look. I have a few questions:-

1) Is this what I'm looking for
https://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.co...ront-and-matching-5100-Rear-shocks_p_163.html

2) If the above is correct do I use the stock springs with these?

3) Did I miss a thread that explains this and need a beating?

Many thanks, Ant

#3 ·
If you've already got Bilstein shocks (which you do because you have a TT) I'd reccomend getting a set of Toytec Coil Lift Springs for the front. They lift the front up 1.6" and make it perfectly level with the rear. They are also a stiffer spring than stock so they can handle more weight and completely eliminate nose dive when braking heavily. And they will provide a better ride than the 5100s which still use the squishy OEM springs. They're also $40-60 cheaper than the Bilstein 5100s depending on where you get them from. I got mine from Toytec for $160 while the cheapest I could find bilstein 5100s for was $210.

#4 ·
This sounds perfect! I'm contemplating a higher lift in the future yet this sounds like a good intermediate standing until I go full out on a 3". It seems you went this route yourself, any complaints or complications? How does the rear feel with a stiffer/higher front end?

Cheers!

#9 ·
I have a 2010 with the All Terrain Package which included the Bilsten shocks. I was 1 1/4" low in the front compared to the back and wanted to be level or close to it but didn't want the front to be higher. I considered the Toytec coils but it seemed it was going to put me high in the front and also with any extra weight in the rear with camping gear it would make it worse. Since I had the Bilsten shocks with less than 30k miles on the FJ I elected to go with the 1/2" Toytec spacer that goes on top of the strut. It lifted the front 1" and I'm now between 1/4 to 3/8" low in the front depending on which side I measure. It also made a noticeable difference in making the front stiffer and reduced nose dive and lean in the turns. I'm very happy with the outcome, the way it looks, handles and rides. If your current Bilsten's are still good it is worth considering. Also you should measure from wheel centers to edge of fender flare to see just how low you are up front. That may help you decide exactly what route to take if you want to be level when done.

Reactions: Db2boy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.