Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Sway Bar Disconnects - Fitted

44K views 229 replies 52 participants last post by  debFJVT 
#1 ·
G'day,
Just a short write up on some Aussie made sway bar disconnects I installed last week.
Replacing the sway bar links with an adjustable link, so its not a true "disconnect" like Jeeps have, but for our IFS FJ's .... this is a good option - short of removing the front sway bar all together.
The unit fits exactly the same as the OE links, but has the ability to slide along the vertical post allowing more travel and flex, by removing the rigidity of the sway bar. R pins hold the sway bar in the OE position when on road ... so our FJ drives "normally" ... but remove the R pins to hit the dirt and you suddenly have much greater off road stability and control over the front end .... sans no sway bar .....

I tested it out this weekend on some tracks n trails I have wheeled previously and the difference in traction and front end control was amazing. No more air ...all 4 corners stuck to the dirt, well most of the time anyway.... They do clunk n rattle a bit when loose.... but not with the pins are in.....

In some sections it made the wheeling almost too easy, i.e. a cake walk, smooth control accent up gully's .....

Here are some pixs....

With R pin removed, you can see the hole in the brass knuckle ....

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

In Action.
First another FJ going up a gully, with a standard sway bar ....
[/URL][/IMG]

Now Bozo doing the same.....

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I know its hard to compare, photo's and rigs, and the drivers skill also comes into play, as does picking the line..... etc......

But having more control up front / less air time / more traction .... makes using a disconnect system so worth while......

I ran Bozo home with the pins out to get a feel for on road sway and behaviour .. and you do notice the floaty roll feeling when going fast on the black stuff, but still manageable ..... not dangerous ....

So I am happy I have these now installed to be used when needed .....

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

See less See more
#4 ·
:rofl:
G'day Mate....
Hmmm,
The not good news is that the company no longer is making them.... I spoke with the owner last week about them ( I bought them ages ago ) he has stopped making them as there is no money in them ....

I can check to see if he has any remaining stock left, so I'll get back to you on that.....

Another option is that maybe a vendor in the US might start making them .... worth looking into ....

Cheers
Baz

#5 ·
Thanks TC.
Was a great day out, we hit all sorts of weather n trails.
The day started out overcast n windy, but soon cleared up and was dusty at the trail head, then we found some mud, then sandstone rocks, then the storms rolled in and it was wet enough to drop the dust ....
The disconnects worked a treat.....
Cheers
Baz

#11 ·
Great work ?

#12 ·
G'Day Guys,
It does kinda feel like an LT set up.... reminded me of The Crack Rock Yeti at Summit last year (well almost ) ..... :rofl: ( I can picture Bozo going up Poughkipsee ...just like The Crack
:rofl::rofl:)

Not a fair comparison ......at all..... but the Crack is the only other FJ I have ever driven, and the only LT set up as well .....

Cheers
Baz

#14 · (Edited)
I'd take a pair too...I have run sway bar disconnects on previous off road rigs, and it really cuts down on lurching back and forth on bumpy trails, and allows for more independent suspension movement. I have been surprised that I haven't seen them mentioned before as I have been getting familiar with this forum.

My last pair of disconnects I assembled from parts out of the McMaster-Carr catalog.

#15 ·
Let us know Baz if you find some, i too would be interested ( kicking myself for not buying them before )

#18 ·
Thanks for the review Baz!
:cheers:

#21 ·
G'day,
I'll take some measurements and post them up, for any one wanting to have a crack at making their own, it should not be difficult.....
I heard back from the maker, no stock ...but ...that he will consider making another batch if the number are good enough. But I don't have a price for them yet.

Early days, but its a possibility......

cheers
Baz

#22 ·
Heck, you got my attention too!

Reactions: bazross
#23 ·
I just spent an hour looking for parts to build them! Count me in if they want to make another run of them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.