Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2014 trail teams - Heavy front bumper - Suspension sag - want to lift 3 inches

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  fensterer 
#1 ·
So I added 400 pounds to the front of my 2014 trail teams ultimate fj. Its a road armor front bumper with titan guard, a vr10000 winch by warn, and a set of piaa lights. As you can probably suspect the front suspension sags a ton. Im wanting to lift the car 3 inches but apparently you cant change the suspension out on the trail teams versions since the computer in the car is electronically programmed to work with the cars upgraded "trail teams" suspension. Any way I can lift the car 3 inches without changing the suspension?

I was thinking a Pro Comp Suspension 65210K Level Lift Nitro Kit with heavier coil springs. Would this work? If so what coil springs should I use?

Thanks a ton!

#3 ·
Thats what I thought also. The tech at the Toyota dealership I bought the fj from said that. He said the car may freak out if I change the suspension since it is not what its programmed to work with and that warning lights may go off if I change the suspension.

#7 ·
With that much weight I'd go with 700 pound springs, enjoy your new suspension and run from the "Toyota tech"! I almost woke the better half from laughing on that one.... The computer won't like it.... Oh please ! Next thing is it's named HAL..... :rofl:

#8 ·
Are you on a budget? That Road Armor bumper was pricey so maybe you aren't. If $ isn't an issue I would go with Icons or some Kings. Also some aftermarket Icon or Total Chaos upper control arms would be nice too. If money is an issue you could always run your stock bumper until you are ready for a proper suspension setup.

Reactions: GammaBruiser
#12 ·
400 lbs OMG i have this image of the back end up in the air and you driving on the front two wheels...would make a great cartoon.....but all kidding aside I agree with the 700 lb springs and or the ICONs or Kings... need to maintain front end response:cheers:
Im on a budget and would not go offroading a ton. Still want a suspension that can handle all I throw at it offroad though. The icon and kings suspension is way over my budget. I need something that lifts my fj 3 inches and hold its own offroad. Thanks.

#10 ·
400 lbs OMG i have this image of the back end up in the air and you driving on the front two wheels...would make a great cartoon.....but all kidding aside I agree with the 700 lb springs and or the ICONs or Kings... need to maintain front end response:cheers:

#11 ·
The service Tech might have been talking about the Yaw Rate Sensor needing to be re-calibrated. Most lifts do not require that this be performed. You will know if you need to perform it , when you go out to pass a car or swerve and the Skid control ECU kicks in.

#13 ·
Im on a budget and would not go offroading a ton. Still want a suspension that can handle all I throw at it offroad though. The icon and kings suspension is way over my budget. I need something that lifts my fj 3 inches and hold its own offroad. Thanks.[/QUOT

:rocker: way less $$$ than other options and you'd be getting quality. JMO
Cheers

(P.S I did just happen to have that sticker sitting on the shelf so clearly i used it for dramatic affect lol)

Attachments

#14 ·
yeah that's a load of crap...I have a 12 TT and ive changed my suspension...no problems at all, in fact Toyota did mine for me and warrantied it for life.

#15 ·
and for a good lift on a budget...I did the same thing and went with a OME lift.

Reactions: Bsky
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.