Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Bilstein 5100s 4th Notch question/Tire question

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  81N4RY 
#1 ·
I've got a 2011 that I'm currently running 5100s on the front on the 3rd notch and have the 5100s for the rear I'm installing Thursday to complete the set. I've also got the Pro Comp 1" lift rear springs to replace the stock rear springs and was thinking of going to the 4th notch. My questions-is the ride rough on the 4th notch and will running on the 4th notch prematurely wear out the stock UCAs? I also have 7500 miles on a set of BFG KO2s in 265/75/16 so will the front going to 4th notch and rear 1" lift make the tires look just too small? Should I just wait to install the 1" rears spring and 4th notch for when I need tires or decide to replace the BFGs?

Here's how it currently sits:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 81N4RY and LHB
#2 · (Edited)
I really do like your very-close-to "Cali" look. If you can maintain that on the third notch I would keep them there. I'm going for exactly the same look when our people get back from Colorado next week.

It looks excellent as it is and raising the front end that much is not going to prolong the wear on your suspension or transmission.

I don't know if running them up that high will do any serious structural damage under normal circumstances.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Most of the forum veterans from my area are probably just getting ready to shut down for the night on their way to Ouray

BTW: IMHO it will make the tires look a little too small if you run the 5100s on the fourth notch and despite a lot of advice to the contrary I get a hell of a ride, excellent gas mileage and that spare inch that enables me to get into a lot of downtown parking garages with no difficulty with the 265/70/17 BFG KO2 AT's (with the OEM roof rack).

I know it's an optical illusion but I think the tires look bigger and more badass with the white letters out. I reckon it's a generational thing and I'm a late baby boomer.

#3 ·
Nice ride!

Your front end already looks higher than the rear, could be the hill, but it probably is.
You definitely need to lift the rear at least 1", but I doubt you'd notice any difference in how the tires "look".
I run 5100's front shocks on the 4th notch but upgraded my tires to 285/70R17's.
Then the front was about 1" higher than the rear, which looks (in my opinion) retarded, so I lifted the rear using a 1.5" Daystar spacer.
My 2014 had factory Bilsteins all the way around so I didn't change out the rear shocks.
It rides a little stiffer, but just barely noticeable. The good thing is it doesn't "dive" nearly as much on hard braking.
I was going to post a photo, but if you do a search on 5100 lifts here you'll see plenty of photo examples.

#4 ·
I like the front end to look slightly higher than the back end which is why I referred to the "Cali Look" like the 2nd generation 4 Runners which apparently my worthy critic does not like.

De gustibus non est desputandum (Roughly: There is no point in disputing matters of taste)

As I said I am going for exactly the look you have.

#5 ·
Thanks guys for the compliments. Appreciate it. I will probably wait until I buy 285s then have the 4th notch done and rear 1" springs installed. I'll just keep the 5100s on 3rd both up front and 5100s on the rear.

#9 ·
2014 fj tt

New to this forum, so sorry if I landed on your conversation, but seems this is the best place for an answer to my questions:.

I've had my 2014 FJ TT for two years now and just now realizing that the current Bilstein suspension on the TT doesn't set up much higher than regular FJs (most of the increase is wheel size). Are the Bilsteins adjustable or can you add spacers or adjustable coils? If not, what is the best set up for the 2014 TT if I want it lifted 3-4 inches to fit 305x70R17 (33.9") BF Goodrich Mud Terrains? According to the forum, it is best to replace the entire lift system, but what should I go with? I don't want to go down to a 285x75R17 tires as this only increases my current tire size by 1 inch. I was thinking if I essentially have a 31.6" tire on there now with about 4 inches of clearance from top of tire to bottom of fender flare, If I went up to a 33.9" (2.3") with a 3" lift, then my clearance would grow by .7" (total 4.7" clearance). Am I missing something?

#10 · (Edited)
Nothing wrong with 265s on a lifted truck. You can put the rears in and see if you like the rake (like stock, just taller overall). When I had 285s I went to the 3" rear and 4th notch. I had problems with getting it to drive well since my LCA cams are pretty seized up.

my point is, I am back to just leveled on the 3rd notch and have since went with 295s. My vote is stay with that 3rd notch, but it wont look bad on the 4th.

@DougsFJ Your math is right. The TTs come with 16" wheels though, but I assume you are just meaning to change to 17s. 285/75/17 is nearly a 34" tire. Great size, they are just not super common. 3" lift will fit them if you chop the body mounts. Search BMC if you are not familiar.

#11 ·
I went ahead and did 285s-General Grabber AT2s. Great tire so far. I'm wondering now about these 1" pro comp springs-I can't find anything on them either but they are supposedly sitting at my local 4 Wheel Parts. They are installing the 5100s in the rear Thursday and I'm liking how my truck sits now with the 285s so not sure I want to throw the rear springs in yet. What do yours think?

Attachments

#13 ·
x2. Looks good.

I dont think the springs exist. I bet you theyd be a 2.5-3" spring...which is fine, but youd get a stock-ish rake with them. Then youd want to go 4th notch and its a viscous cycle. I think your local 4WP is just misunderstanding potentially. Heard its really hit or miss with those guys since they are so used to Jeeps.

Reactions: ladder63ff
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.