Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Is this normal or does it need to be replaced

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Hamad974 
#1 ·

Hey there fellow FJC

Just wondering I was checking underneath My car and found this on the side of the driver side tire. It didn't leak anything on the ground but it's like wet . What do they call this part and should I worry about it.

Next question I just purchased this fj last year and I still have a warranty till 2017 would this be something that Toyota will cover and replace ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey there fellow FJC

Just wondering I was checking underneath My car and found this on the side of the driver side tire. It didn't leak anything on the ground but it's like wet . What do they call this part and should I worry about it.

Next question I just purchased this fj last year and I still have a warranty till 2017 would this be something that Toyota will cover and replace ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it is the steering ball joint and the rubber boot is perished, causing the grease to leak out. It will need to be replaced.

#5 ·
Tie rod end - $40 & about 5 minutes (plus an alignment) to fit.
I'd just get it done on your next service & see if they'll include it under warranty - try to get the alignment included.

#7 · (Edited)
the dealer might not be willing to replace it until actual play shows up (wear caused by the failed boot), rather than replace it before then, because sometimes the wear can take a long time to show up, sometimes more years than how long the owner will actually even own the vehicle

Tie rod ends are considered consumables (they wear and get replaced like brake rotors, though more slowly). The previous replies are right that a torn boot will lead to its wear faster but since this design doesn't have serviceable boots then the only "maintenance" is to replace the whole assembly (same labor, $5 boot vs $50 joint is the only difference in cost).

Some dealers would do it now, for customer good will. Others would prefer negotiate with the customer to wait and only replace it once it actually wears.

If your vehicle suspension is totally stock they will be more willing to use goodwill and replace it (and get that part back to engineering for analysis as to why its boot tore so fast). On the other hand, if your suspension is lifted they will be more likely to say it was caused by your vehicle not being stock (raising the suspension puts additional strain into all of it, including the steering system), leading to increased frequency of this sort of thing as a natural course, and should be expected by, and paid for by, the customer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.