Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Light Racing UCA rebuild

10K views 58 replies 12 participants last post by  ridn dirty 
#1 ·
My Light Racing upper control arm bushings are toast. I bought them in 2008 when they first came out and they had the known bad rubber bushing design that deteriorate. I meant to change them out in 2009 but...

I ordered the Ball Joint Kit and Bushing Replacement Kit. Both of these kits have design updates(Greaseable design, RideSpec bushing, etc) since the original version and should be a good fix.

Has anyone done one or both of these? Looks straight forward, although I don't have a press. The hardest part looks like removing the old ones.

Found some useful install info here: New Bushings for Light Racing UCA's - Tacoma World

#2 ·
Just doing that. You are right, hardest thing is to remove old bushes. I burned them out, take so much time to drill them and it's easier to see how deep you are going with your reciprocating saw when the collar is clean. Cut the collar through, if it's not, it's very tight to punch out.

And one thing, don't try to push them out by press, I bended one end by trying it, it was hard job to get it straigh again.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I didn't want to take the chance of messing it up or the rebuild taking too long, so I just ordered another set of LR UCAs so I could get going as fast as possible. I'll rebuild the old ones when I'm not pressured for time.

#5 ·
After only 4 months of use I just had to rebuild both SPC UCAs. Balljoint on passenger and bushing on drivers were wobbling. Looked like the rubber bushing material had somehow shrunk, as the sleeve slid right out. SPC suggested that perhaps temperature (wheeling Moab)had played a role which doesn't make sense to me. They couldn't warranty as I'd bought them new from another forum member. Replaced both bushings anyhow - good to know they're upgraded. Balljoint install was easy - haven't done autopsy yet to see if I can figure out why the old one failed (again SPC suggested it was Moab lol) but happy to have greasables on both sides now...hope that increases their lifespan :|

#29 ·
#32 ·
Replaced my upper ball joints this morning. Holy crap....17832 miles and these original joints and they are so worn I can get them to clunk in my hand. I am in hopes that the new greasable ball joints will have a much longer life. I would hope, 50k without excessive wheeling.

Less than a 20k mileage lifespan, with no extreme wheeling, is just flipping stupid.

#33 ·
My LR balljoints didn't last either, though the bushings are still good and squeak free. The ones I replaced them with were supposedly an upgraded design, though there are no visible differences and they aren't greasable.

Now they have a 3rd design, that's greasable, so the ones I have probably won't last.

I'm disappointed, but at least they recognize the problems and try to correct it

#35 ·
You mean SPC now sells the UCA with zerks for the bushings? Saw that pictured earlier in this thread and assumed the poster had installed himself....as I now plan to cuz the squeaking of the original, non-upgraded bushings on passenger side is driving me nuts.

Sounds like I need to throw my spare balljoint in to the gear bag :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.