Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Fluid Leak from Fox Resi Shocks

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Sanderhawk 
#1 ·
Okay, I am pretty upset at myself right now and need to know how serious this is...

I'm installing a set of front/rear Fox 2.5 Factory Series Resi shocks (w/ DSC adjusters), along with TC UCA's. Was just working on the Driver's side Front Shock and was trying to adjust the preload when I bumped the hose for the reservoir at the top of the shock and caused the nut to loosen, thus causing red fluid to escape. I immediately dug into my tool box and grabbed a 7/8 wrench and tightened it back up, but I probably lost about 3-4 ounces of fluid.

How big of an issue is this??? Does this mean I'll need to take this back down to Fox for refill? is this something I can do easily, or is it something to not worry about as it's a small amount lost?

#2 ·
The only shock rebuilding experience I have is building shocks of my RC 1/8 intro off road cars, but I would say you likely need a top-up..3-4oz seems like quite a big air pocket to me. I hope I'm wrong! Good luck and sorry to hear that this happened..I would have thought that thread lock would be used on vital metal-to-metal parts for such a high-end shock.. WTH Fox !?!

#3 ·
Thx for the reply. I actually pulled the shock and took it down to Off-road Warehouse. They checked the nitrogen level and it was good, so they said I'm fine. They said losing a little oil isn't a big deal as long as air didn't get inside and the nitrogen level didn't drop. The guy who checked it used to build shocks for Fox so I trust him. I evidently got lucky here!

I had them also adjust the preload using their wall mount spring compressor, as it's impossible to adjust the preload with the shock mounted (not enough room in the bucket to fit the spanner tool and the spring tension is so freaking high!)

I've got the shocks in and the reservoirs mounted. The reservoirs wouldn't mount correctly due to the way the hose bends so I had to get creative and fab a mount that allowed it to sit over the frame rail. Actually works out better because I can adjust the DSC much easier in this configuration.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks! That is full droop so I'm good there. I also dropped the drivers side, turned the wheel in fully and lifted the passenger side up way high to make sure the tire wouldn't rub the redo during full compression. It's got lots of room to spare so I'm good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.