Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

My HORRIBLE misfortune with sway away (SAW)

8K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  jamesepoop 
#1 ·
EVERYTHING I am about to write is 100% accurate and true:
So two years ago I dropped a few grand on suspension. Totally chaos uppers and lowers (which I love) spindle gussets and SAW suspension all around. I got the 2" rear shocks, the rear springs and the 2.5 coil overs for the front. After having their shocks for a year I was driving down a fire access road here in Oregon and creeped, and I mean creeped through a 9" puddle. When I came to the end of the dip I hear a pop and my rear started bouncing. I sheared the top bolt off the rear passenger shock right at the shock body. I was not even going 10 mph. I had to hobble home on just a rear spring. I made it home. I called SAW and their shock division was bought out by AFE Power. So they could not help me and referred me to them. I called AFE and was a told (and I quote) "we don't know what we have as far as parts and I don't know when we will, not sure if we will even be carrying FJ parts". So s**t out of luck with AFE. They refer me to an guy down in CA who rebuilds their shocks. I sent him pics and he said it could not be fixed. There was no way to get the broken bolt out of the top cap. I tried to EZ out it for a few hours. The top cap could not even be taken out because he said he had no way to hold the shock body (this from a guy who rebuilds SAW shocks). I called back AFE and they refused to even check if they had 1 shock they could SELL me. Honestly they should have just given me one. So strike 1. I ended up buying ICON 2.5 externals for the rear (which I should have done in the first place). Then the front shocks started rusting. And I mean RUSTING Heavily. All the nickel has corroded and is dripping with rust. They look like dog s**t. After two years they look like 10 yrs. The anodizing has turned from red to pink too.. I emailed AFE about the rusting 3 times. They never got back to me. NOW my rear DRIVERS side spring is sagging 2 inches. This time I CALLEED them. AGAIN "we don't know what we have (after 7 months) and I don't think we are carrying FJ parts any more". They would not tell me where to get a spring, where they used to get them, nor would they even reimburse me for new ones. So I google "sway away FJ kit" and low and behold there's 2 companies selling "NEW FROM AFE POWER SWAY AWAY FJ LIFT KIT". So they flat out lied to me. I ended up just ordering ICON external coil overs for the front to replace the rust bucket SAW ones and I also ordered 3" ICON overland springs for the rear to replace the sagging SAW coils.
I sent links to the new SAW shocks to AFE and they back peddled and told me "contact this person, they handle the retail". Why didn't they just tell me to contact this person the first of the 3 times..???? Talks about s**t products and HORRIBLEn customer service and lying to boot..
Moral of the story? Buy ICON, FOX or KING. STAY AWAY FRM SAW if you know what's good for you..

images hosting

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Sucks to go through that, especially with what was a reputable supplier. I had a somewhat similar experience with my Kings right after I first installed them. I'm pretty sure I over tighten the nut on the right rear shock, resulting in the stud being pulled out of the shock body while passing though a busy street intersection (must have been a sight for cross traffic, seeing all that fluid shoot out). Anyways contacted my sales rep for King, and shipped off the shock. It was promptly rebuilt with a new body and shipped back to me. No Charge (even though I told them it was possible I over tightened the retaining nut). I will second your sentiment stick with Kings, Icons, or Foxes. Also, I got about 160,000 miles on my set of Kings before sending them out for rebuild.

#5 ·
I like to hear these stories in detail. Helps me make my decision on what company I will lean towards. It's unfortunate that the people hired represent their employers in this manner. I would say a majority of the time if you got a hold of the owner of the company they would accommodate your situation but when you have 1st line of phone support or technical support they're just looking to give you canned responses and move on to the next thing in their queue.
Best example of this is Rock Auto. Best prices worst phone and mail support if you have any questions.

#6 ·
Moral of the story? Buy ICON, FOX or KING. STAY AWAY FRM SAW if you know what's good for you...
For adjustable remote-resi suspensions I'd add OME to this list, ARB is a huge company and the BP-51's have a 3 year warranty.

For adjustable coilovers I'd add @ToyTec Lifts to this list, local to Denver and the warehouse is downstairs from the sales team, so they can walk downstairs and tell you exactly what they have any time.

Also thanks for this post, the vendor list for our trucks is small so it's always good to know who's good to work with and who isn't. Reputation is a very important thing in this market.

#9 ·
Going to be the bad guy here....

If your rears were corroded that badly not surprised that you snapped the top bolt. Indicates to me a lack of basic maintenance.

FYI - S.A.W., KING, Total Chaos do not sell direct to the public you have to go through a dealer.

The rebuilder lied. The top can be removed, it is threaded onto the body. The stud in the top is threaded in as well. A little heat is needed but it can be done.

I would suggest ordering some covers for your fronts, it will save them.

#10 ·
On a similar note, I ordered a hi tuck from an AFE dealer. It was drop shipped from AFE. When I got it, I dragged the box to my garage. Hmmm it certainly feels light and empty. The exhaust pipes started colliding in the box. What the heck. Get to opening it and there were two random foam pads and only the muffler was packaged in bubble wrap. Get to looking closer and the tip and slip fit are dinged up good. They tried to blame it on shipping but lack of caring seems to hold true. The replacement I got was the same shipping with no improvements. They're not looking for future business that's for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.