Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Something loose with my steering.

16K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Datajockeys 
#1 ·
I have been having a problem with something regarding the steering in my new FJ. I know that there is something wrong or loose but the dealership came back with nothing. The one I had before this FJ didn't have this problem, as well as the other ones I drove on our Toyota lot here at work. I know it's not something suspension related, I purchased the vehicle and it did it then, and now with the Icons installed, sway bar delete, new UCAs, and wheels it still does it. It isn't noticeable at all when on the road and it's smooth. Railroad tracks, cobble stone road, gravel roads, and DEFINITELY off roading I can tell. I am trying to see if anyone has had this problem and maybe where to start to narrow it down.

Suspension is good, ball joins are good, tie rods are good. I can noticeably feel it. It's like the steering isn't solid. Can almost hear something as well, or at least I feel like I can.

Trying to narrow down what all I need to look at or have looked at to get this problem fixed. Especially before next year, planning trips right now.

#4 ·
I'll give those a look when I get out of work today.

Can you describe what you are feeling? "Something loose" is pretty vauge. Maybe a specific reaction to an offroad obstacle?
Essentially, any time there is a bump, rough terrain, or anything that isn't smooth pavement there is what almost seems like play in the steering. Normally I would describe it as feeling solid feeling in the steering wheel if it were to be working right (like my old FJ), but with this, it's almost like there is something loose. There is a split second of play in the steering I guess. I can sit and try to simulate it in the car without moving but nothing can be felt so it would lead me to believe that it's not the steering wheel itself.

#5 ·
i was facing the same problem until i replaced my stock bridgestone dueler ht with mud terrain tires. that loose steering feeling you are describing was really noticeable when hitting a speed bump at not less than 10-15 km/h ( it is felt exactly when the front wheels come off the bump and join the flat road again ). i could also hear a faint metallic click coming from inside the dashboard.

#6 ·
2010+ FJs have a TSB for steering problems so might want to look into that.

There aren't that many components to the steering, so start checking and run down the list. (listing order based on my past experiences of most likely to least)

1. Inner tie rods (always wear out first for me, less likely to be spotted since the inner tierod is covered by a boot with non-reusable clamp)
2. Outer tierods
3. steering rack (I had play in the driver side cylinder coming out of the rack, replaced 2 racks due to this, from hard offroading)
4. steering shaft coupler and pinch bolts (make sure coupler is even between lower/upper shaft and bolts tight)
5. steering shaft u-joint (must replace lower part of steering shaft as u-joint is not replaceable)
6. steering column inside cab (I believe this is part of the TSB)
7. sterring pump problems or lines leaking (this shouldn't cause loose steering, instead making it harder to steer)

Best way to check most of these items is to have the vehicle weight on the ground (dry, flat pavement is best with the vehicle not running as it will make it easier to see) and have someone turn the wheel while you watch the steering parts. You're looking for a delay in movement, ie you turn the wheel and see the outer tierod moves a little before the knuckle turns, means bad outer tierod

#8 ·
Going to tear into this list as well. The previous owner lived in Colorado and I believed he wheeled it, judging by the skids that were on it (Ricochet). I purchased it with factory suspension, factory fake beadlocks and tires. Since I have put on full Icon lift, Icon UCAs, removed sway bars, and had it all aligned. Problem has still been there before and after all these mods.

#7 ·
Do you have even wear on your front tires? If not it will cause that wandering feeling that you described. Easy way to find out is to rotate your tires and see if the feeling remains the same.

-B

#9 ·
Sounds like inner tie rods to me. My truck is doing the same thing and I know mine are shot. Quick way to check is jack up the vehicle so the tire is off the ground then grab the top of the tire and try and wiggle it from driver to passenger. If its wiggling, chances are your inner tie rods are shot. Could also be wheel bearings but my first fix would be the inner tie rods and probably the tie rod ends also.

#11 ·
Loose Wheel Bearings will give it a funny feel also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Definitely will. They don't always make noise, or enough noise to hear over the mud tire noise.

I had one get really loose on my way to work, and would just start pulling hard left or right when hitting a bump with no steering input. I stopped at the auto parts store (2 mi from work) on my way home to pick up a new one. It completely failed right when I left the auto parts store and ate itself and the wheel speed sensor. Drove 20mph for the next 3mi home since I didn't have to worry about the wheel falling off due to the design (unless the cv breaks too).

Reactions: iwashmycar
#13 ·
I am running into this same issue with my 2010. I found this old thread and I am convinced that I am facing the same issue as the OP... loose steering column and shaft.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...g-rack-noise-when-turning-hitting-bump-7.html

My FJ steering is tight at all speeds and flat roads. Even falling off of curbs and hitting normal pot holes there is no "bobble" in the wheel. It's only when I go off-road and the terrain gets choppy or each wheel needs to articulate off camber bumps around 5mph it feels like the steering wheel is baiscally detached from the wheels. You can feel a "bobble" in the wheel that feels like the steering has clunks or gaps/voids in the turning process. It again feels like it's happening directly in the column.

I haven't been to the dealership yet but from the provided diagram in the thread above it appears that the (2) needed parts are going to run around $800.

I don't wheel too often so I haven't pressed the issue but when I do hit a gravel farm road and the surface gets chattery, it's super annoying.

John

#17 ·
Now I am ready to go break it again this weekend at Tuttle Creek by doing a little rock crawling! :rofl:

How did you guys diagnose the outer tie rod end?

-B
I had my mechanic friend drive it and at first he couldn't tell that there was something wrong. Finally got the problem to repeat itself by going head on over railroad tracks and at a slower speed. We got the vehicle up on a lift and noticed that it had side to side play on the wheel with an actual audible noise. Moved the tire with someone watching the tie rod and boom, found it. 30 minutes later a new one was on and front end was realigned.

Something this simple really made me fall in love with my FJ all over again. It was in the back of my mind since I purchased it and bugged me every day driving it.

#18 ·
I have this same thing (or something similar at least) happening in my 2008. When I'm just about to come to a complete stop as I press on the brakes, or when I put it in reverse, or when I'm going over certain bumps or curbs, or especially when offroading, my steering wheel will get a loose feeling to it. Instead of the wheel always being tight and steady and responsive to even small movements, at certain moments it will have a couple mm of movement as you turn the wheel left to right and there is an accompanying audible sound of it clicking side to side from what sounds like the steering column.

Anyone had experience with this? The auto shop said they could detect ever so slight wear on one of the inner tie rods but I don't think that would cause this amount of movement. Any help appreciated! Thanks!

#20 ·
I have this same thing (or something similar at least) happening in my 2008. When I'm just about to come to a complete stop as I press on the brakes, or when I put it in reverse, or when I'm going over certain bumps or curbs, or especially when offroading, my steering wheel will get a loose feeling to it. Instead of the wheel always being tight and steady and responsive to even small movements, at certain moments it will have a couple mm of movement as you turn the wheel left to right and there is an accompanying audible sound of it clicking side to side from what sounds like the steering column.

Anyone had experience with this? The auto shop said they could detect ever so slight wear on one of the inner tie rods but I don't think that would cause this amount of movement. Any help appreciated! Thanks!
Hi, have you sold your issue? any problem about it remains? if you solved the issue, what have you replaced in your fj?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.