Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Advice between Fox 2.0 or 5100 please

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  smracing 
#1 ·
Hi guys! I know this has been beat to death but I wanted some advice or suggestions before I pull the trigger and regret my decision. I have a 2013 TT (all stock) and I want to level the front end without spacers so I'm down to the Fox 2.0 assembled coil overs and the Bilstien 5100 using the stock springs. I am looking for a comfortable ride on the road and not looking for a full lift and I plan on keeping the rear at the height it is now.This is our daily driver and doesn't get off road much. I know the TT's have factory Bilstiens so would the ride stay the same or will the 5100's ride different or will the Fox ride better? I'm new to the FJ world and I appreciate all your help and support.

#2 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Now I think the 6112's might be the way to go after some research. I'm only looking for about a 2 inch lift to level out the front and they come with matched springs and adjustable perch. Would I have to upgrade the rear shocks to make the best out of the front upgrade?

#4 ·
I know the TT's have factory Bilstiens so would the ride stay the same or will the 5100's ride different or will the Fox ride better? I'm new to the FJ world and I appreciate all your help and support.
As they're both 2 inches, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. Basically any of the height adjustable coilover setups will feel mostly the same, but the nice part is that your nosedive under braking will be vastly improved.

If you rarely offroad (as you say) and don't plan on ever adding a bumper / winch, then you'd probably prefer an adjustable suspension (edit: i.e. the Fox) to make sure you can dial the height in perfectly. Some others to consider: IronMan FoamCell and the OME BP-51's (remote reservoir, so adjustable rebound/compression) if you want to make the front end really comfy.

Good luck! Been to Key West a couple of times, great town! How do cars do with the salt in the air? Whenever I visit islands in the Caribbean I always think it would be bad to own a nice car there because the salt in the air rusts them like crazy.

#9 ·
Jimmy Buffett! I hear his songs everyday..lol Key West is a great little city, I absolutely love it here! I think the vehicles tend to rust from the top down as the salt air settles on the tops of cars but the worst is when we get a hurricane or extremely high tides and you have to drive through standing pools of salt water up to the floor boards. Also the sun does havoc on the paint and seems to do more damage then the salt. Thanks for the advice on the adjustable setup, that seems to be the for my application since I will only need to about 2 inches of lift in the front.

#5 ·
I can't comment on the Fox unit's as I haven't used them, but I have a couple years and about 30k miles on my 5100's with the stock springs and have had no issues. They maintain a decent ride quality.

That being said, the Fox complete coil over assembly would make the job a bit easier if you are doing the install yourself as you need a compressor to swap springs on the 5100's.

#6 ·
The 2013 TT came with high-speed-tuned TRD Bilstein shock absorbers. They were also included with the 4x4 upgrade package. I believe they are non-adjustable, but still trail capable. If you're looking for an upgrade in performance, then you wouldn't notice much difference switching to 5100s. IMO

If you just want to improve the stance and you're not headed for serious off roading ... why not spacers? I have a set I never put on I'll give you.

#7 ·
I would seriously consider the daystar lift and level and save that cash for new tires (285/70/17) & spidertrax for little wider stance. You'll get improvement on nose diving and turning/corners. It's a great stance for fj esp. with u on flatland

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#8 ·
You're rear end will feel like garbage if you switch to fox 2.0s with stocks springs. Just FYI. Those shocks do not damp well at all at stock height. Once I installed OME light 1.5" lift springs they felt totally different. Even with the stiffer springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.