Loud Clank from the Front end... - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyMedic
(Thread Starter)
Loud Clank from the Front end...

I have a 3" leveling made by RevTek. Ever since putting it on, I have been getting a loud "THUNK" or "CLUNK" noise from the front end. This usually happens when I back up, turn the wheel, and apply the brakes (backing out of a parking space), or when I am pulling up to a stop sign going down a hill.

It only happens once per drive, but as soon as I put the truck in park and then back up, we are at it again. The Toyota Dealership who installed it has looked and looked for the cause of the problem and we cannot find anything. We have tightened and torqued everything we can find that is not supposed to move, and greased/lubed everything that should.

All I know is that prior to the lift, no unhealthy CLUNK, and now, it sounds like there is some serious metal fatigue going on in there. I can feel it in the gas pedal (if I am turing onto my driveway) the brake pedal, and the steering wheel.

Has anyone else had this problem? I hate it, but if it keeps up I am really thinking about dropping it back down and downsizing tires...I cant help but think that there is really really wrong down there!

"The secret nature of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing"

Last edited by ArmyMedic; 12-21-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Forum Veteran

Re: Loud Clank from the Front end...

If you have larger tires might be hitting the body mount. Had the revtek since 2006 and no problem just loose bolts on top at the beginning.Try caliing them if Randy is still there you should get an anwser. They run the kits on their trucks and the trail team too.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyMedic
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
fjTeddy previously said: View Post
If you have larger tires might be hitting the body mount.
Thought about that so I took a silver paint marker and drew all over the body mounts on both sides. No rubbing

Just found a bunch of stuff on lower control arm bushings...makes me go HMMMMMM

"The secret nature of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing"
#4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to fubar

Could it be the brakes? Seaarch on brake noise.

fubar

'07 TRD SE
Conqueror Compact Trailer
Buell Ulysses

Fully Equipped for Adventure
#5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member

It's normal. I have checked everything on mine 50 times and got tons of suggestions from tons of people, still havn't found out what it is.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Forum Veteran

The brakes can make noise and a bad ball joint too check your rubber boots had one busted it jams once you start driving seams ok.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
fubar previously said: View Post
Could it be the brakes? Seaarch on brake noise.
X's 2 on that. Whenever I would get into the FJ first thing in the morning, or leaving from work, (after it has been sitting for a while) the brakes would squeek whenever I backed up, and as soon as I applied the brakes I would hear the "thunk" nosie your talking about. Not sure if this is what your problem is or not, but I took mine to the dealer recently after searching this site and finding that it was a tsb issue, and they fixed the brakes under warranty.....no more "thunk noise" after that either

Last edited by TxFj85; 12-21-2008 at 06:47 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Forum Superstar

Check the clearance of your sway bar links on each side. It's entirely possible that the dealership removed the sway bar during the install and re-installed it slightly offset (with one side closer to the coil spring than the other).

It could be something as simple as re-aligning the sway bar and preventing contact of a link end striking the coil spring (or cup on the bottom of the coil)...

Edit: Here's another source (that happened to me): Check the bottom of the shock, where it attaches to the lower control arm. When I had the coil springs compressed to attach the upper cap on the shock, the shop that did the clocking of the top plate turned the shock slightly, so that the shock sat just a tad angled in the slot in the lower control arm. Even with the bolt tightened, I'm sure it was shifting slightly when compressed. Eventually my 'clunking' went away, after I re-tightened the lower shock bolt. Anyway, just throwing possible causes out there for elimination...

Dennis' Titanium 'Bird of Prey':
'08 Titanium 4X4; AT; LD; A-Trac; Cobra CB radio & Bandi-mount mini whip; Yaesu FT-7800R HAM radio & Comet SBB7 hatch-mounted 5/8 wave antenna Call Sign: KE5WTX; Toyota extra horn mod; BajaRack Exp roof rack; 295/70/16 Hankook Dynapro MT tires; Factory off-road 16" alloys; OME 884 front coils & N140S shocks, ToyTec Medium rear coils, OME N71E rear shocks; SCUBA breather mod; Steel sway bar collars; Digger upper and lower rear links; Rasta4x4 skids; Metal Tech step sliders & front tube bumper; Hella 500's; Camping Labs RTT Future Mods: Cloaking Device, Disruptors

Last edited by JoeUser; 12-22-2008 at 08:17 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Forum Veteran

I am hearing the same noise, I found that my lower a-arm bushing are on their way out thus causing more movement than there should be.

aka: Krazyfj

Rig:
2007 SunFusion FJ
Mods:
6" Rough Country lift, 1.25" spacers, 35"x12.5x16 Maxxis Trepadors, AllPro sliders, Body mount chop, Scuba mod, Metal Tech front bumper w/ PIAA Lights, Warn M8000, custom rear control arms & skids, All-pro upper a-arms & Tierods, Over the top skids, Powertank air & homemade tube doors.

TLCA member 18300
Eastern 4 Wheelers VP
Northeast Toyota Crawlers
Yankee Toys
FJ Northeasters
#10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Karpi71 previously said: View Post
I am hearing the same noise, I found that my lower a-arm bushing are on their way out thus causing more movement than there should be.
Thats where I'm gonna check next, one of the SoCalers just had to have his replaced cause they were shot, they replaced em with stronger aftermarket bushings that are supposedly gonna last longer.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.