LOL! It Gets Even Worse: Bent rear axle housing!!! - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: LOL! It Gets Even Worse: Bent rear axle housing!!!

I've bent my rear axle also. Just means we're using the truck unlike these other sukkas

One alternative to currie is a diamond axle housing. This is following Sol, and I figure you can't go too far wrong following Sol. That is, unless one actually tried to follow Sol on a run with his SFA... But I digress.

I briefly exchanged emails with Brian Ellinger (info@frontrangeoffroadfab.com) about the diamond. One issue is what size third member you put in. The stock can just swap in (that's a 8" setup) or you can swap it out for a stronger 9.5" FJ80 bad boy (I spoke to Jim at Inchworm about that). I'm currently saving my pennies. The axle will run about $1800 and the new third fully setup with an ARB locker will run another $2k. (roughly)

"<Simplify the world to a ridiculous degree, then state as a pithy one sentence quote to create illusion of deep insight>" - <insert attribution>

"The English, lacking a soul of their own, must move through the world in search of those of others." - paraphrased Bedouin judgement, as related by Colin Thubron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok found Todds posts

Quote:
Air2air previously said: View Post
Ah... my visit to Currie on Friday. It'll be $4155 with tax and ready April 30. It'll have FJ brackets and JD thinks it will go on in one day. I'll be served with divorce papers maybe a week after.

It is:

1. $399.95 9-plus heavy duty housing; notched cover. 4" wider than stock (80")
2. $549.95 FJ Cruiser Extreme Duty axle package. 35 spline; axles, studs and locking collars
3. $259.95 FJ housing end (pair)
4. $649.95 FJ Cruiser brackets and installation
5. $1896.34 Third member; 9 inch Ford 4.56S ratio; ARB Locker; 9+ Nodular Race Case; 9+ Race Pin Support; 9+ Yoke
6. $100.00 tube upgrade to 3.5"

All the FJ stuff listed above is not available yet. Dave Castillo the product manager will build mine himself in preparation for making it a real product. They have sold 8 of the All-Pro Dana 60 Rock Jocks, a less expensive proposition that has tempted me. These have FJ brackets installed and are plug and play.

But all the guys there - and everybody else I talk to - insist that any of the Dana would not be a good choice for the FJ. Their explanation is the weight of the vehicle, and the type of loads I would be experiencing. Apparently Dana gears mesh in such a way that the ring and pinion are trying to push each other away. This makes them susceptible to the sudden shock loads of desert running. The Ford 9 doesn't do this.

But is it overkill? I will probably never break a Dana 44. Sol, Wyatt or MissFJ would. Since I am not the expert they are on solid axle rear ends I'll have to pay the piper and cross my fingers that I'm not buying more than I need.

Currie was a great group of folks, from the very helpful lady at the front desk to the sales and shop guys. They were patient with my questions and didn't do the typical patronizing stuff that many of us experience at shops. We can't all know every technical detail about these vehicles, for God's sake.

I came without an appointment and got the full tour. It didn't seem like a 4WD business at all....
Quote:
Air2air previously said: View Post
Currie FJ Ford 9 Axle

As we know the FJ aftermarket is oversaturated in the suspension department, but almost no products are available for the driveline. We are breaking spindles, links and a number of us are breaking gears.

For those new to rear ends (as I am), the stock 8.4" Toyota ring and pinion is just too small for the way we are using it. There have been many broken ring and pinions - I read about one Moab run where 10% of the FJs broke theirs. We like to load up with a lot of cargo and big tires, and when wheels hop on the rocks that's it.

Currie will release a Ford 9-inch axle for the FJ, a must-have item for many of us. This gives us two state of the art choices in rear axles, including the new All-Pro/Currie Dana that just came out. This is about my day there and what I learned about this new product for the FJ.

To oversimplify, there are two primary aftermarket gear sets for factory offroad vehicles. The Dana series for crawlers, and the Ford 9 for racers. Dana pinions are 2 inches above the rear axle, and the Ford 9 is two inches below. So who wants a Ford 9? It's stronger and takes the sudden shock loads of high-speed runs better. But that clearance creates an issue over the rocks.

Dave Castillo called me to come in and let him take some measurements. He is the product designer, and just finished up working with Jon at All-Pro to develop the All-Pro/Currie Dana Rock Jock axles for the FJ. Mine will be the prototype Ford 9, made on the same fixture the All-Pro Dana is made on.

Currie is THE name in rearends, dating back to the fifties. Here is their huge building in Anaheim.

Row after row of the new All-Pro Currie Dana axles ready for shipment.

Every rear-end related item you can think of, manufactured in-house for just about every performance car and truck out there.

Dana displays for Jeep. The Rock Jock rear on the right looks very similar to the All-Pro axle.

A small portion of their industrial-quality manufacturing shop.

Waiting for paint after assembly. A Ford 9 is second from the front.

A final JK rear axle. Never thought I would admire a rear axle for build quality, finish and aesthetics, but they really look great.

And there's the patient! The first-ever Ford 9" for the FJ in Dave Castillo's fixture.

Currie Track-9 is the NASCAR standard almost without exception. This is the heaviest housing of the Track-9 series, from 26 to 18 lbs.

Housings and covers are formed from high tensile (High Form 50/Spec A715) steel. This material is 39% stronger than conventional 1010 low carbon steel. So it's halfway between mild steel and Chromoly in strength.

Currie was clever enough to improve on the FJ's delicate shock mounts. They rotated the lower shock pin 90 degrees so that it gains almost an inch in ground clearance without reducing travel. You will notice that the bracket here is 90 degrees to the stock one.

This fixture will be moved off the test bench and into production when the final measurements are taken off my stock axle. Right now all the brackets are tacked into place and will probably be adjusted slightly.

Custom CNC large-bearing housing ends just for the FJ.

Now it was time to make sure this axle fits the FJ properly. So up on the lift and get out the measuring tape.

My stock housing, mere weeks away from its next explosion, was still too hot to touch. This is because my tweaked ring and pinion are trying to destroy each other and creating a lot of friction in the process.

They said the oil leak is because the front cover has been shrinking and expanding from the heat, and that has wrecked the seals over time.

On the left is a stock Tacoma axle like we have, and on the right is the blank for the FJ axle. They will cut it to length, drill the lug pattern in the end, and cut the 35 splines on the skinny end.

The one bit of bad news is that they want me to get a driveshaft too. Apparently the Ford yoke doesn't match up with the Toyota one. However, I bet they can come up with a fix for this once the axle is finalized into a real product.

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
#13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sorry to hear that toledo. If i am not mistaken, aren't you running a TRD supercharger? Could the cause be that? I think the Currie jock is a good choice since it retains atrac and other factory electronics.

Mods NEVER Stop

DIGGER made
them HAPPEN !!

#14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

No supercharger at the moment. Just CAI, JBA shorty headers, JBA catback, and a custom tuned Unichip. 6 MT.

I'm gotta get on the phone and start calling these axle guys.

Mitakuye Oyasin.
#15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
FJCamel previously said: View Post
Sorry to hear that toledo. If i am not mistaken, aren't you running a TRD supercharger? Could the cause be that? I think the Currie jock is a good choice since it retains atrac and other factory electronics.
curries 9" and rock jock will both retain all the factory electronics......

you are looking at a complete swap none of the internal parts from the toyota axle go in to either of these, and they both carry a big price tag.....

how long ago were you in oberlin? 10 minets up the road from me?

good luck

scotty

President of the FJORC.org we are a Toyota based Off-Road Club between Cleveland and Pittsburg, if your in our area and looking for a club come check us out.

Certified www.I4WDTA.ORG Trainer

'08 Titanium FJ, off road pkg.
3" All-Pro Walker Evans lift
All-Pro bumpers Rock sliders
Rasta aluminum skids
Warn M8000 winch
Bigbill Combo Cobra WX75 cb
URD Y pipe, JBA cat back
ARB Snorkle
ARB Locker and 4.88'
All-Pro front UCA's, rear UCA's, rear Pro links,
#16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
C4B_Rocks

Toledo sorry about the rear axle's.

Damn that that Currie rear end look's sooo sweet...

NorCal FJ

CRUIZIN4BRUZIN BUILD PAGE.

C4B Photo's

Suecyde; previously said:
Call it Stupidity...I call it Great. --> but unless you have done one of these things to or with your FJ...YOU WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND!!
#17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Welcome to the bent housing club. When I bent my housing I wasn't doing anything radical or extreme. When I pulled the axle and disassembled it I noticed that the stock housing material is very thin when you compare it to an older mini truck housing. After seeing the thickness of the material around the pumpkin I'm not surprised that these things are bending so easy.

I would recommend going to something more stout if the dealer does not cover the housing. I went with a rear diamond housing and swapped in a 9.5" land cruiser third member so I wouldn't have to worry about blowing up 8" gear sets. However, if you aren't in the mood to spent a bunch of money you can to pick up a complete FJ Cruiser rear axle or just the housing from Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for a lot less. Installing a rear axle isn't hard, just takes a little effort and time. Good luck with the fix.
#18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

hell, my stock link mount on the rear is ripped at the axle from pressure from the trailer chain. Just a lil leak
#19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Quote:
MissFJ previously said: View Post
hell, my stock link mount on the rear is ripped at the axle from pressure from the trailer chain. Just a lil leak
nothing a welder won't fix. have dan or phil run a bead on the leak and you'll be fine.
#20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
scottyms previously said: View Post
curries 9" and rock jock will both retain all the factory electronics......

you are looking at a complete swap none of the internal parts from the toyota axle go in to either of these, and they both carry a big price tag.....

how long ago were you in oberlin? 10 minets up the road from me?

good luck

scotty
Ok, so I called Currie and then All-Pro (the sell the currie) and figured everything out. To replace the rear, I have to re-gear. That means I have to re-gear the front. Add ARB air lockers front and rear to the mix and you are in at over $5,000.

The dealer is refusing to submit a warranty claim, so I'm gonna have to shell out over 2 grand just to replace the screwed up housing. I would love to do it all and just get it over, but I have to spend a bunch on other mods that I have to get done before I move back to Montana this summer.

At the moment, I already have to buy a new winch, and a couple thousand dollars for a combo of HID and LED lighting. Another five thousand + is just not in my budget right now.

So, I'm going to have the dealer swap in the new stuff. Then I'm gonna take it over to the guys who work on some monster truck (I think Gravedigger or some similar rig), and have them fab and weld on some sort of gusset that will reinforce the weak spot on the stock housing. This shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars, and it may prevent another rear end situation long enough for me to save up for the Currie upgrade. Once I meet the dudes at the welding/fab shop and we come up with a design, I'll start a new thread and document the process.

Mitakuye Oyasin.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.